Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How Wheels 106.7 programs by the hour

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

Re: How Wheels 106.7 programs by the hour

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:31 pm

There's way too much G'NR and Motley Crue on Wheels for my liking. What's missing are the hit tracks from artists who don't have a big catalog. What's wrong with songs like "Inside Out" by XYZ? Or, "Jelly Roll" by Blue Murder? How about "Seasons" by Tyketto? Somewhere, AOR was jettisoned for the lowest common denominator. Burkhart/Abrams never programmed exclusively to the "factory rats".

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:31 pm
There's way too much G'NR and Motley Crue on Wheels for my liking. What's missing are the hit tracks from artists who don't have a big catalog. What's wrong with songs like "Inside Out" by XYZ? Or, "Jelly Roll" by Blue Murder? How about "Seasons" by Tyketto? Somewhere, AOR was jettisoned for the lowest common denominator. Burkhart/Abrams never programmed exclusively to the "factory rats".
Its really ridiculous. Between them and 94.7 it seems like they think there are only about 150 or so songs that were "hits". Hell, they could probably find another 20 solid "hits" just from the "one hit wonders" if they really tried. But thats the point...they are not interested in trying they are interested in playing safe songs everyone has heard a million times.

Actually heard this on 94.7 as a bumper: "The songs you know played by the voices you like." or something to that effect. If that doesnt sum it up I dont know what does.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:30 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:36 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Its really ridiculous. Between them and 94.7 it seems like they think there are only about 150 or so songs that were "hits". Hell, they could probably find another 20 solid "hits" just from the "one hit wonders" if they really tried. But thats the point...they are not interested in trying they are interested in playing safe songs everyone has heard a million times.

Actually heard this on 94.7 as a bumper: "The songs you know played by the voices you like." or something to that effect. If that doesnt sum it up I dont know what does.
Dahmer is a voice "we like"?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:40 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:30 pm
JLesinski wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:36 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:

Dahmer is a voice "we like"?
Oh. OH man. I'd LOVE to know who was sampled for that poll. Who did they ask, his mom?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 pm

I want more Billy Squier

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:51 am

Daypart wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 pm
I want more Billy Squier
That has to be the first time I've heard or seen anyone make that statement.

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:16 am

106point7...Detroit's Wheels. Music for ham 'n eggers!!!

Oh well. At least they don't suck half as bad as their sister station in Grand Rapids. WBFX is a disgrace.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:58 am

Daypart wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 pm
I want more Billy Squier
...said no one ever. :x

Deleted User 15050

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:11 pm

I want more Bon Jovi and Journey.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:41 pm

KC wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:11 pm
I want more Bon Jovi and Journey.
Said no one ever X 2

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:24 pm

Dire Straits. Wheels is playing "Money for Nothing" which is fine, but what about "Industrial Disease"? When Love Over Gold came out in '82, Wheels played that track into the ground. How about "Skateaway" "Solid Rock" or "Expresso Love" from the Making Movies album? Every one of those is on Jeff Pollack's safe list.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:28 pm

I just heard Pearl Jams "Animal" and "Why Go" on WRIF 101.1.
Two exact songs that should be in 106.7's wheel house. But nope, they gotta play some song from the 70's for the millionth time and call themselves "The new generation of classic rock".

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:13 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:28 pm
Two exact songs that should be in 106.7's wheel house. But nope, they gotta play some song from the 70's for the millionth time and call themselves "The new generation of classic rock".
Pearl Jam should work, I agree. However, I don't believe it would be beneficial to steer Wheels too far in the direction of Modern Rock, if the goal is to defeat WCSX. Leave that battle for 89X.

One of the many things that doomed the short-lived 97.1 K-Rock were the suits at Infinity Broadcasting complaining about the music on the station, and how many of them lacked mass appeal. I have the memo somewhere. One of the bands mentioned was Manbreak, but I can't recall the others, it was so long ago. Not saying I agree or disagree. Those were strange times. Gorman thought he had the correct formula.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:07 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:13 pm
JLesinski wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:28 pm
Pearl Jam should work, I agree. However, I don't believe it would be beneficial to steer Wheels too far in the direction of Modern Rock, if the goal is to defeat WCSX. Leave that battle for 89X.

One of the many things that doomed the short-lived 97.1 K-Rock were the suits at Infinity Broadcasting complaining about the music on the station, and how many of them lacked mass appeal. I have the memo somewhere. One of the bands mentioned was Manbreak, but I can't recall the others, it was so long ago. Not saying I agree or disagree. Those were strange times. Gorman thought he had the correct formula.
I don't drink, but I wanna meet up for a Pepsi (you can have a beer) and just listen to your stories one day. The more inside stuff, the better.

-TurkeyTop

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:17 pm

89X is irrelevant in this race, as they no longer focus on Detroit. WRIF should be mostly current rock, WCSX classic rock, and WLLZ classic rock but more 90s focused. Sometimes I can’t tell which one I am listening too based solely on the playlist.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic