Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Daylight Savings Time, Keep it or get rid of it...

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
innate-in-you

Re: Daylight Savings Time, Keep it or get rid of it...

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:32 am
Maybe it is Farmer Jack Savings Time?
Time to save with Town Pride Macaroni and cheese dinners, 16 cents this week only at Farmer Jack ding ding ding ding ding ding!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:09 am

WC8KCY wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:01 pm
WLUC-TV6 in Marquette never tape-delayed programming back when Michigan wasn't on DST. When it came to TV listings, we all understood that we were on Central or Eastern time depending on what time of the year it was. It was the same for our relatives in western Indiana.
Granted policies may have been a bit different in the western U.P. I just remember markets in the southern L.P. (Lansing, Grand Rapids, Flint/Tri's, Detroit) maintaining 8-11 pm prime-time instead of moving the schedule up one hour just for the month. The network evening newscasts did temporarily move up from 6:30 to 5:30 and then back when the DST switch was made. Local newscasts remained at 6 and 11 pm.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:23 pm

I can remember when the Detroit big three used the mountain time network feeds in the summer, when the area was EST all year (the 1966 act allowed individual states to opt out of DST).

One night, all three networks were interrupted by a disastrous flash flood in Rapid City, SD. My guess is that all the personnel at KOTA and KEVN had gone home for the night, and putting out the bulletin out over the entire Mountain Time Zone was the only way to be sure the news reached Rapid City.

If you're asking "Why Mountain", and not Central, it was because, then, Prime Time TV shows were broadcast an hour earlier in LOCAL time in the Mountain and Central time zones. Programs were shown simultaneously in CT and ET. Chicago network TV was 7:00 to 10:00, with local news at 10:00.
Mountain Zone Prime Time was also 7-10:00.
Thus, Detroit Time (EST) was only one hour ahead of Denver Time (MDT).

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:13 am

innate-in-you wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:23 pm
I can remember when the Detroit big three used the mountain time network feeds in the summer, when the area was EST all year (the 1966 act allowed individual states to opt out of DST).

One night, all three networks were interrupted by a disastrous flash flood in Rapid City, SD. My guess is that all the personnel at KOTA and KEVN had gone home for the night, and putting out the bulletin out over the entire Mountain Time Zone was the only way to be sure the news reached Rapid City.

If you're asking "Why Mountain", and not Central, it was because, then, Prime Time TV shows were broadcast an hour earlier in LOCAL time in the Mountain and Central time zones. Programs were shown simultaneously in CT and ET. Chicago network TV was 7:00 to 10:00, with local news at 10:00.
Mountain Zone Prime Time was also 7-10:00.
Thus, Detroit Time (EST) was only one hour ahead of Denver Time (MDT).
That must have been before the networks switched their feeds from telco to satellite. As far as I can remember networks have only run two live sat feeds - Eastern and Pacific. Always assumed the Mountain stations took the Eastern feed on a tape delay.

The one exception was PBS. At one time they ran live sat feeds for all four time zones although they've since scaled back to Eastern/Pacific feeds only. The cool thing was if you a blew prime-time record on the Eastern feed, ya had three more chances to grab it! :D

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:12 am

Many days, when I work, I don't get home until 7:30 to 8:00 PM. I really enjoy that extra hour of daylight for chores around the house or even throwing a steak or two on the grill. I would hate for them to change things unless we go to DST year round.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:41 am

We have the unique advantage of being on the western edge of the Eastern time zone. Our summer sunsets are about as late as they get. Wisconsin, being on the eastern edge of the Central time zone, has local sunsets around 8:30-9:00 in the summer. Michigan gets that extra hour of daylight, at least as the clock goes.

Years ago I attended a conference in Milwaukee. It was early June. Not thinking about the time difference I was amazed to see the sun shine through my hotel window at 4:30 in the morning. Had it been CST instead of CDT it would have been 3:30. Even 4:30 is a bit impractical in my book, but that would be our summer sunrise if Michigan remained on EST year-round. Going with year-round DST seems a more practical choice.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:28 am

DST all year seems like a good plan good to me.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:31 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:28 am
DST all year seems like a good plan good to me.
As long as the U.P. is returned to the Central Time Zone.

My hometown is near Escanaba:

In 1971, under year-round CST, high noon was 11:58 CST.

In 1972, when DST was mandated statewide, high noon was 12:58 CDT. That still sorta made sense, since Wisconsin was already observing DST.

In 1973, we were moved to the Eastern Time Zone. High noon is 1:58 EDT, effectively putting us on Double DST.

We keep hearing about how DST is a boon to golf courses and other tourist attractions, but never a peep about the drive-in movie theaters and other businesses that were put out of business because of the two-hour change in summer timekeeping.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 pm

One of the employers with whom I did business before I retired was a Nursing Home, in a small community near Windsor. Of course, a Nursing Home must be staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This was done through three, eight hour shifts per day. The employees would cycle through all the shifts.

When the night came to switch to DST the midnight shift would work only seven hours. When they switched back to standard time the midnight shift would work nine hours that night. In both cases , the workers on that shift were paid for eight hours.

The management believed that was the fairest and simplest way to do it. Some of the staff thought it was unfair. The employees who worked the extra hour in the fall, weren't always the same employees who got the shortened shift in the spring.

Every time we bargained a new collective agreement, there was always a proposal to do away with that system. The management probably would have agreed because it would have cost very little.

But the parties always had many, more important issues on the table and the proposal always got dropped.

They're probably still doing it the same way.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:13 am

I hate it. It's archaic IMO.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:31 am

My body is having a hell of a time adjusting... I’ve felt like garbage for a week...

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:33 am

My wife and I have as well. But I don't know if it's just the time change. I really don't know what it is. Maybe there is actually something to this "Mercury Retrograde" crap after all. THAT is when this all started for her and I.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:52 am

It's literally one hour difference...
Not 4

Music is my life.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:05 am

I have too. I know it's just an hour but ones circadian rhythm isn't something to be messed with. Constantly feeling groggy and unrested when I get up. And having trouble staying asleep and then not wanting to get up in the morning. I hate this...
NS8401 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:31 am
My body is having a hell of a time adjusting... I’ve felt like garbage for a week...

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:48 am

You guys need to wake up at 4 in the morning and workout at a gym, And do that every day and in about a week you will feel 100 percent better trust me it’s great.
Last edited by Deleted User 14935 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic