Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
RayQix

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by RayQix » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:34 am

Day 3......

Still a tweak’n.......

Heard Rafferty on there last nite.

Wasn’t he doing an air shift on WNIC recently?

I think like any good product, you’re out-the-gate with something, and tweaking it along the way to make it better.

It’s one reason I do not like “first year after model change” vehicles. I’ve had a couple (94 dodge RAM & 08 Jeep Liberty) that had a lot of issues/bugs and they got fixed “eventually” in the later years but not to my liking.

No, I don’t have those vehicles anymore either.

At any rate..... weekend..... will be different than the M-F shifts.

Wondering what’s gonna be the main Morning Show on this one, or is it gonna be Imported from Elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:45 am

Bill McCallister Mornings, He’s on now, The mornings will be music intensive no morning zoo crap.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:55 am

This is little more than 106.7 The D with some additional local voices (a good thing) and a somewhat broader selection of 90's titles.

I sure as hell don't understand how a station calling itself the "NEW Generation of Classic Rock" can play so fucking many of the same boring 80's titles that WCSX and WRIF have been playing to death forever.

If I were programming the music, 70% of the titles would be from 1989 - 2004, with 20% before 1989 and 10% after 2004. I would play a broad range of grunge, nu metal, and straight ahead rock. I would even sneak in a post-grunge or pure play alt song from time to time.

Early Foo Fighters, a TON of Nirvana, a TON of Pearl Jam, later STP (I've only heard tracks from "Core" so far - to the point of excess, I might add!), a good deal of Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Live, White Zombie and Marilyn Manson would be part of my playlist.

I would also play The Presidents of the USA, Jimmy's Chicken Shack, Primus, Limp Bizkit, Korn, early Disturbed, Pantera, Slayer, and a good dose of Tool.

Corporate Radio is pathetic. They rehash the same ho-hum programming strategies over, and over, and over, and over.

Sirius XM is so much more innovative at developing Rock music formats than corporate radio that it's astonishing.

"The NEW Generation of Classic Rock" should mean playing the type of music 89X was playing all day long and the type of music WRIF played at night from 1993-ish onward.

I realize the type of playlist I described above would be ineffective at knocking down WCSX. Very fair point. So, ya know what the station should do then? PICK A DIFFERENT SLOGAN!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:16 am

BTW, within 48 hours, the 106.7 WLLZ Facebook page has already achieved 50% the number of likes that the Fault 106.7 Facebook page received over fifteen fucking months.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:24 am

It just dawned on me...where am I gonna get my Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco daily updates???

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:13 am

This mediocre new radio station has played Queen not once, not twice, but three (!!!) times since 6AM this morning.

Playlist so far is fucking terrible. Not impressed.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:49 am

While I was listening seemed to be a lot of arena rock, hair metal, grunge, and post-grunge. So mostly 80's through 90s, with a few 70's classics
Don't think they will be playing much blues rock, prog rock, glam rock, psychedelic rock, or punk rock

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:55 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:32 pm
Almost!

Terrestrial radio lacks new ideas. The people who've been in the business 30 or 40 years are not creative thinkers. And because young guns are paid such low salaries, there is a dearth of fresh blood with fresh thinking.
Not necessarily true at all. There are plenty of burnt out veterans for sure, and the creative ones are rarely allow to be creative thanks to the Lew Dickeys and ihearts of the world.
Most of the so called 'young guns' aren't flocking to radio, they're flocking to digital. We all wanted to be jocks when I was coming up, now kids want their own youtube or twitch stream.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:01 pm

szmigiel wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:49 am
While I was listening seemed to be a lot of arena rock, hair metal, grunge, and post-grunge. So mostly 80's through 90s, with a few 70's classics
Don't think they will be playing much blues rock, prog rock, glam rock, psychedelic rock, or punk rock
I would love to hear more guitar rock like Kenny Wayne Sheppard,StevieRay Vaughn,Joe Satriani-summer song,Hendrix- cross town traffic/hey joe, Yngwie Malmsteen- heaven tonight, Nugent--dog eat dog,little miss dangerous,out of control,fred bear

Some southern rock-----Blackfoot--Train train and highway song,Molly Hatchet--whiskyman/flirtin with disaster,Skynard--gimme back my bullets,mr breeze, Jackyl--down on me/lumberjack

A few off the top of my head...........

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:44 pm

I've been watching the WLLZ playlist and listening on and off and haven't heard a single song by Seger.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:57 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:44 pm
I've been watching the WLLZ playlist and listening on and off and haven't heard a single song by Seger.
That's a bad thing???

For real, I heard Old Time R&R yesterday.

-TurkeyTop

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:57 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:44 pm
Seger isnt the New Generation of Classic Rock just as my list above isnt.Thats how I define it.

Tweaking will come alot more after a couple of books.I believe they will do what it takes to make this work since Alice/the Drive/the Fox/the Beat/the D and Alt were all failures..................

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Seeing the responses above, and knowing it would never go down, I've created a couple hour show for a weekend night that focuses on late 70s and 80s lost AOR cuts that haven't seen the light of day in years. A slight flashback to the Wheels of yore.

Alcatrazz "Island in the Sun"
Night Ranger "Don't Tell Me You Love Me:
Touch "Don't You Know What Love Is"
Billy Squier "The Big Beat"
Steel Breeze "You Don't Want Me Anymore"
Sammy Hagar "Your Love is Driving Me Crazy"
i-ten "Alone" (original version, pre Heart)

Things like that. They would never make a day to day playlist, but given the heritage of the station, perhaps a couple hours late Saturday or Sunday would be cool!

-TurkeyTop

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:08 pm

Yngwie Malmsteen is about a MILLION TIMES BETTER axe-man than Dedly Tedly ...and not,so far as I know,a stupid reactionary dotard like the Nuge .(How bout some Rory Gallagher or Robin Trower,new WLLZ dudes ? )

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:54 pm

I just heard Pink Floyd followed by Butthole Surfers. This isnt the "next generation of classic rock". Its multiple generations. Bands like Queen and Pink Floyd had good multi-generational appeal. Not so sure about Foreigner or even AC/DC. Whats the target demo? I dont think Foreigner fans want to hear 90s alt-rock and a lot of 90s fans dont want Dads music besides the aforementioned bands who pulled off a generational crossover.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic