Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WPON , Time to pull the plug.

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Deleted User 14888

WPON , Time to pull the plug.

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:22 pm

How much longer before this debacle is totally finished, Let’s face it, Time for the owner to pack it in and call it a day.

k8jd

Re: WPON , Time to pull the plug.

Post by k8jd » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:49 pm

SO Sorry dupe posting.
Last edited by k8jd on Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:50 pm

On the GoogleEarth image of 7/05/2018, the towers are finally up and there have been some days last month when the transmitter was on the air for a few hours.
Probably fine tuning the directional pattern ? Still some hope ,
I do not think the Fenton station has been using the new shared array yet ?????

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Considering that WCXI could be at least 5 kW (maybe more) DA-D and 1 kW DA-N with the existing pattern from the existing Licensed Site, I think they should just stay put at the Licensed Site. If they are still bent on moving, a complete nondirectional conductivity survey should be done in the Summer to determine the real extent of the service contours from the Proposed Site. I have the feeling that its not a very good site, and you would end up wasting a bunch of power getting out very well from there. I base this on the fact that I can BARELY hear WPON 30 miles East with 250 watts Nondirectional on a GE SuperRadio II. I get a mix of WBRN, WBNS, and WKAM stronger than WPON most days during hours even outside of CH, closer to solar noon.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:34 am

I have been shaking my head at the slow progress at the WPON/WCXI array site, especially since its owner already has the attention of the FCC. They really should put out something, anything, to show that they still intend to make use of the station (cheapest option woiuld be to simulcast WNZK).

WCXI could use more than 5kW - they have a CP for 15kW (beamed essentially East from a three-tower slight dogleg array).

As far as the oft repeated "turn the license in" "give it up" comments, it would be the height of idiocy to walk away after the array has already been built.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:22 am

The 5 kW was based on what has been revealed online in applications. The WFEN...WCXI 1985 DA Proof of Performance might reveal that even more power is possible. If WPON is really using 250 watts nondirectional in its tests, then it has already been shown to be a bad site. A similar disappointment happened when WPON moved from SQR LK and Telegraph to Benstein and Loon Lake. This is 3 miles further into the gravelly stony soil. Looking into the Benstein Loon Lake WPON Proofs might show what to expect. In some cases 5 kW IS better than 15 kW. A good example was WGRD's 1 kW 1410 signal being better than WMAX's 5 kW 1480 signal in Grand Rapids in the 1960s, at least to the East. Actually, a previous owner DID call me up from WPON years ago asking about relocation. I told them that I didn't have enough software or time to do it. I recommended that they call Munn Reese.
Last edited by CK-722 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:37 am

As far as the oft repeated "turn the license in" "give it up" comments, it would be the height of idiocy to walk away after the array has already been built.
This IS the downside of FCC arm twisting on the one year silent STA. Sometimes, a better plan surfaces AFTER the license has been turned in, and then it's too late. WMFN had a similar arm twisting, and finally had to partially build the towers between Manteno and Peotone to keep the CP. But WMFN is on 640 (very good ground wave), the conductivity there is much better, and the market is much bigger. WMFN has turned out to be the best new Day facility built in Chicago in many years. Too bad it wasn't built in AM's heyday.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:29 am

Wouldn't shock me if there are vendors owed money and the owner has insufficient funds to be able to complete construction.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:00 pm

Too bad Casey Kasem died. He could have just walked over to the WCXI Studio from the Larry Hamady Pure Food Market, did a day's voice tracking for the Oldies Format, and Jerry Tertzakian could throw in a three hour Armenian Language show for good measure.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:53 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:00 pm
Casey Kasem could have just walked over to the WCXI Studio from the Larry Hamady Pure Food Market, did a day's voice tracking for the Oldies Format, and Jerry Tertzakian could throw in a three hour Armenian Language show for good measure.
And then, every Saturday, Casey Kasem and Jerry Tertzakian could join forces and produce a music show, "Armenian Top 40". Ba da bing.

We're here all week. Don't forget to tip the waitresses.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:23 pm

I sincerely hope that Birach gets this thing done. Not that I'm a big fan of BBC's stations, but this has been a thorn in their side for a LOOOOOONG time now. If it were me, I'd just leave 1160 at Fenton and increase power as much as possible. I'd do whatever it took to get WPON back at 1kW omni from wherever, if need be, and then sell it to someone who can go forward as they deem fit. I, personally, think these stations should use the approach that WION has used, serving their COL communities and screw worrying about throwing yet another signal into the Detroit wasteland. There are PLENTY of large AM signals there already IMO, these two "upgrades" would be just another massive expense for very little, if any, ROI. Sometimes it's best to just leave "well enough" alone.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic