All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

ABC is bringing back The Gong Show! Debuts June 11!!!

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

ABC is bringing back The Gong Show! Debuts June 11!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Debuts on Sunday, June 11. Actually looks pretty damn good from the brief previews shown during promo spots!

http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainme ... -disguise/

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

sfpcc

Re: ABC is bringing back The Gong Show! Debuts June 11!!!

Post by sfpcc » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Battle Of The Network Stars is also comming back.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Will Howard Cosell be hosting? ;)

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:55 am

I'm trying to think of some of my favorite Gong Show acts. The Unknown Comic had a few inspired moments. Scarlet & Rhett's Carlin-like jabs at TV censorship often hit the mark -- at least the first few times. Most of the other regulars were a continuing celebration of silliness. And how many times can one hear a series of overweight African-American women sing "Midnight Train To Georgia"? However, there was one act that stuck in my memory from the moment they appeared on stage...

None other than The Bait Brothers! :D

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:27 am

June 22, actually, according to the article.

jry

Post by jry » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Too bad that the original host isn't around for this...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Junkie is correct; it is indeed June 22.

Tonight is when Celebrity Family Feud (yawn) returns and another new Steve Harvey-hosted show makes its debut.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:44 pm

It just seems really weird that they have Mike Meyers hosting this, playing a character. Why not just have Mike Meyers?

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:38 pm

high fidelity, I was going to ask about the hideous host- I even thought out loud that he is so damn ugly Mike Myers could play him as a Shrek version of Ed Sullivan, Chuck Barris and Dr. Evil! So is really IS Mike Myers?? Jamie Farr will have to make a guest appearance.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:58 pm

[quote=WOHO post_id=556351 time=1497893917 user_id=466]
high fidelity, I was going to ask about the hideous host- I even thought out loud that he is so damn ugly Mike Myers could play him as a Shrek version of Ed Sullivan, Chuck Barris and Dr. Evil! So is really IS Mike Myers?? Jamie Farr will have to make a guest appearance.

Arte Johnson is still with us. He could show up too.
[/quote]

jry

Post by jry » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:18 pm

I ALWAYS give a new show a couple of episodes. I just couldn't take it. Meyers was trying TOO hard. I tuned out at the half way point, Ticked that the piano guy that they opened with, got buried.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 pm

So far - I've generally liked what I've seen. It isn't perfect; there is room for improvement.

For example - there are not enough super weird/no talent acts. There are too many acts with actual talent! It's also not as risque as the original Gong Show.

The judges ramble on for too long at times.

I think a 30 minute format might've been better for this show.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:45 pm

I didn't like it very well but it may get better. I don't know why they need to have Mike Meyers playing a character. I also did not like Battle of the Network Stars very well on ABC. I liked both shows as a kid, but as kids we are less picky as far as what we will watch.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:21 pm

ABC is airing lots of classic sitcoms in prime time. They are airing Match Game, To Tell the Truth, Pyramid, Family Feud, etc. What was old is new again.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Mike Myers Gong Show performance kind of reminds me of Andy Kaufman / Tony Clifton, (not really in character but the idea is kind of similar.)

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:29 pm

high fidelity wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:21 pm
ABC is airing lots of classic sitcoms in prime time. They are airing Match Game, To Tell the Truth, Pyramid, Family Feud, etc. What was old is new again.
Wouldn't call them sitcoms.........

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:50 pm

tvradiojunkie wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:29 pm
high fidelity wrote:
I misspoke...game shows.

format this

Post by format this » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:15 am

high fidelity wrote:
tvradiojunkie wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:29 pm
high fidelity wrote:
I misspoke...game shows.
*GONG* Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

organman95

Post by organman95 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 am

high fidelity wrote:
Nothing wrong with that. I always thought those game shows were good (from what I've seen of the originals aired on GSN). As long as you get the right person to host the show that can do it justice, I'm all for it.

That said, I don't know how "The Price is Right" is still on air with Drew Carey as host. 10 (?) years later, I still think he's terrible.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:25 pm

I liked week 3 of the Gong Show much better than the first two episodes. It featured a better mix of judges and the acts were goofier.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic