All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Network programming preemptions by individual stations

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
mtburb

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by mtburb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:15 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm
Two pre-emptions by WDIV this week? Did they seriously oversell their local spot times recently?
Actually The Middle is an ABC program. At least WXYZ is airing it tonight for the convenience of the crowd that didn't bother pulling in WJRT, WLAJ or WTVG to watch it live.

I'm still surprised they didn't just push it to WMYD...

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:39 pm

This Wednesday: WXYZ is moving a new The Goldbergs to 1 AM to make room for 2017 Discover Remarkable. Anyone who wants to watch The Goldbergs at it's normal time must tune to WJRT, WLAJ or WTVG.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

schmave

Post by schmave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 pm

I remember a fair amount of network pre-emptions when I was growing up here in Columbus. WBNS (CBS) seemed to pre-empt the morning game shows for other shows (no idea what they were), and less frequently our NBC and ABC affiliates would pre-empt something or other. I don't remember there being much rhyme or reason.
When there was a pre-emption, what our cable system - then Coaxial, later to be known as Insight and then Time Warner - would do was import affiliates from nearby markets onto a channel in the upper portion of the lineup. For CBS, it was almost always WHIO from Dayton (although one time I remember it being WTOL). For NBC, generally it was WKEF, also from Dayton, and for ABC, a lot of times it was WAKC 23 from Akron-Canton (never Dayton's WDTN). WHIO clearly was coming off an antenna, as I'm guessing WKEF did. WAKC probably was a microwave deal?
We are close enough to Dayton that a really good antenna should have received all of those signals in the analog days, especially in the western portion of town.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Here's a very infamous example of this: back in 1997, WAGA Atlanta preempted the entirety of Fox's coverage of Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals, which eventually saw the Red Wings end their multi-decade Stanley Cup drought, with a Children's Miracle Network telethon.

After that one, WAGA now only preempts Fox programming for breaking news or severe weather coverage.
Last edited by mtburb on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:05 pm

schmave wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 pm
I remember a fair amount of network pre-emptions when I was growing up here in Columbus... When there was a pre-emption, what our cable system - then Coaxial, later to be known as Insight and then Time Warner - would do was import affiliates from nearby markets onto a channel in the upper portion of the lineup. For CBS, it was almost always WHIO from Dayton (although one time I remember it being WTOL). For NBC, generally it was WKEF, also from Dayton, and for ABC, a lot of times it was WAKC 23 from Akron-Canton (never Dayton's WDTN).
In Bay City, Gerity / Bresnan would do the same thing if the local channels pre-empt a network show -- in this case, WOTV (WOOD) Grand Rapids for NBC, WWTV Cadillac for CBS, and WXYZ Detroit for ABC.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri May 12, 2017 8:15 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:05 pm
schmave wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 pm
I remember a fair amount of network pre-emptions when I was growing up here in Columbus... When there was a pre-emption, what our cable system - then Coaxial, later to be known as Insight and then Time Warner - would do was import affiliates from nearby markets onto a channel in the upper portion of the lineup. For CBS, it was almost always WHIO from Dayton (although one time I remember it being WTOL). For NBC, generally it was WKEF, also from Dayton, and for ABC, a lot of times it was WAKC 23 from Akron-Canton (never Dayton's WDTN).
In Bay City, Gerity / Bresnan would do the same thing if the local channels pre-empt a network show -- in this case, WOTV (WOOD) Grand Rapids for NBC, WWTV Cadillac for CBS, and WXYZ Detroit for ABC.
Kind of odd that Gerity passed over WWJ/WDIV, WILX, and WPBN for WOTV/WOOD. Also a little surprised that WWTV wasn't full time in Bay City.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Fri May 12, 2017 9:31 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 8:15 pm
rugratsonline wrote:
Kind of odd that Gerity passed over WWJ/WDIV...
This one was plausible as during that time WWJ/WDIV and WNEM both had the OTA rights to Tigers games in their respective markets (interestingly enough, WNEM actually even simulcast WWJ/WDIV during those games by use of a tower that still stands at I-75 at the Holly Road exit in northern Oakland County).

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Fri May 12, 2017 9:52 pm

mtburb wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 9:31 pm
ftballfan wrote:
rugratsonline wrote:
Kind of odd that Gerity passed over WWJ/WDIV...
This one was plausible as during that time WWJ/WDIV and WNEM both had the OTA rights to Tigers games in their respective markets (interestingly enough, WNEM actually even simulcast WWJ/WDIV during those games by use of a tower that still stands at I-75 at the Holly Road exit in northern Oakland County).
Also add in the fact that WWJ/WDIV often preempted a number of NBC shows themselves anyway, baseball season or no.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue May 23, 2017 9:11 pm

ftballfan wrote:
rugratsonline wrote:
...a little surprised that WWTV wasn't full time in Bay City.
WWTV was, and still is, full-time on Gerity and its successors in Midland, though it was probably relegated to fill-in-programming-only status in Bay City in order to please then-CBS affiliate WEYI.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:36 pm

I've recently noticed that WADL no longer airs NBC programs preempted by WDIV, including weekend sports programming that WDIV often preempts for infomercials. This leads me to a question. Are there any Detroit stations or WDIV's subchannels airing NBC's "American Ninja Warrior" this Monday night, June 26? WDIV will obviously have the local fireworks on their main channel. I checked WADL's schedule but they have their usual reruns. Thanks for any info.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:17 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:36 pm
I've recently noticed that WADL no longer airs NBC programs preempted by WDIV, including weekend sports programming that WDIV often preempts for infomercials. This leads me to a question. Are there any Detroit stations or WDIV's subchannels airing NBC's "American Ninja Warrior" this Monday night, June 26? WDIV will obviously have the local fireworks on their main channel. I checked WADL's schedule but they have their usual reruns. Thanks for any info.
Zap2It shows CIII, CKCO and WNWO, all near Detroit, airing programming WDIV will preempt for the fireworks.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks. I knew WNWO would air it but wondered if WDIV or NBC worked out a deal to have an alternate local station broadcast those NBC shows that WDIV doesn't want. Apparently not.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:35 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:33 pm
Thanks. I knew WNWO would air it but wondered if WDIV or NBC worked out a deal to have an alternate local station broadcast those NBC shows that WDIV doesn't want. Apparently not.
Apparently, WDIV refuses to let others show pre-empted programs or move them to their subs, as they didn't want others to watch the competition for programs that they themselves would usually show.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:39 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:35 pm
80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:33 pm
Apparently, WDIV refuses to let others show pre-empted programs or move them to their subs, as they didn't want others to watch the competition for programs that they themselves would usually show.
Certainly puts them in the shit list.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:27 am

Not that it matters to WDIV, but many cable and satellite viewers in Monroe County, Michigan can't get Toledo's WNWO/NBC 24 via cable or satellite. Buckeye Broadband used to offer it to subscribers in southern Monroe county but since their dispute with WNWO's owner in 2014, they can't offer it anywhere in Buckeye's Michigan service area. Luckily, WNWO is easy to pick up in southern Monroe county via antenna and rarely if ever, preempts anything on NBC.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:26 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:27 am
Not that it matters to WDIV, but many cable and satellite viewers in Monroe County, Michigan can't get Toledo's WNWO/NBC 24 via cable or satellite. Buckeye Broadband used to offer it to subscribers in southern Monroe county but since their dispute with WNWO's owner in 2014, they can't offer it anywhere in Buckeye's Michigan service area. Luckily, WNWO is easy to pick up in southern Monroe county via antenna and rarely if ever, preempts anything on NBC.
Actually, Spectrum fka Charter's Monroe headend still offers WNWO to this date, their service area covers most of Monroe County's townships and even extends into Huron Township (New Boston, rural areas south of Metro Airport clear as far up as Pennsylvania Road et all) in Downriver Wayne County (though that isn't the only area of Wayne County that gets WNWO via cable, it's also carried at an apartment building in Detroit, surprisingly enough).

In fact, WNWO is possibly the highest-powered of the commercial Toledo television outlets and it is possible to pick it up well past southern Monroe County up to almost 8 Mile.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:45 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
There's that hope for anyone who considers going that direction. Must suck though for last-minute situations when they pull this s--t and you have to go down to Best Buy for one in time.
mtburb wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:26 pm
Actually, Spectrum fka Charter's Monroe headend still offers WNWO to this date, their service area covers most of Monroe County's townships and even extends into Huron Township (New Boston, rural areas south of Metro Airport clear as far up as Pennsylvania Road et all) in Downriver Wayne County (though that isn't the only area of Wayne County that gets WNWO via cable, it's also carried at an apartment building in Detroit, surprisingly enough).

In fact, WNWO is possibly the highest-powered of the commercial Toledo television outlets and it is possible to pick it up well past southern Monroe County up to almost 8 Mile.
I suppose I'm thinking more of Bedford Township in particular, since that is most of Buckeye's entry into Monroe County anyway. People in that community would be caught off-guard by such preemptions thanks to WDIV like this unless they weren't prepared.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:59 am

WGTU/WGTQ airs ABC World News at 7, placing a local 6:30 News produced by WPBN/WTOM (7&4) for some stupid reason...Why not be like WOOD in Grand Rapids. WOOD simulcast the 6 PM news on WOTV (or did...do they still have an LMA?)

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:56 pm

mtburb wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:26 pm
80sTalkRadioFan wrote:

Also Comcast Dundee has WNWO (and WTOL/WTVG/WGTE) AFAIK.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Well, just saw a promo that mentioned that WXYZ will air the Lions Monday Night game. The DWTS season premiere gets bumped to WMYD. I believe this is the first time WXYZ ever moved a preempted show to WMYD, unless others can prove me wrong.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic