Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Network programming preemptions by individual stations

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
BFSEsq

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by BFSEsq » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:16 pm

It's interesting that WDIV seems to currently have a standing deal with WADL to air seemingly any NBC programs they don't clear. And yet, it doesn't seem like there are any other deals like that currently.

I've read that in the old days of Late Night with David Letterman in the 80s, WDIV occasionally wouldn't clear specific episodes that they thought were too risque, and those would always be on WKBD instead. Anyone know if that's true? WDIV, from my secondary knowledge (i.e. not memories, because I was born in 1982) seems like it was fairly conservative for a time with its programming choices and would be unafraid to preempt NBC.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:48 pm

BFSEsq wrote:It's interesting that WDIV seems to currently have a standing deal with WADL to air seemingly any NBC programs they don't clear. And yet, it doesn't seem like there are any other deals like that currently.

I've read that in the old days of Late Night with David Letterman in the 80s, WDIV occasionally wouldn't clear specific episodes that they thought were too risque, and those would always be on WKBD instead. Anyone know if that's true? WDIV, from my secondary knowledge (i.e. not memories, because I was born in 1982) seems like it was fairly conservative for a time with its programming choices and would be unafraid to preempt NBC.
Speaking of which...did WKBD ever air any NBC daytime programming that WDIV never aired?
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:20 pm

I think way back in the mid 70's WKBD used to show SNL, which was bumped by Then WWJ, (this has been discussed before.) I think the first time I saw it was on 50, (OJ Simpson hosted.) I also remember seeing Ray Charles and jumping on the bed at the same time, (not a bad memory considering.)

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:30 pm

Tonight WDIV is showing the movie How To Lose Friends And Alienate People, (seen it.) Caught On Camera and Grim are shipped to WADL.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:32 pm

sfpcc wrote:Tonight WDIV is showing the movie How To Lose Friends And Alienate People, (seen it.) Caught On Camera and Grim are shipped to WADL.
I'm already getting "shipped" confused with whatever new meme/slang is out there these days.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:30 am

I'm already getting "shipped" confused with whatever new meme/slang is out there these days.[/quote]

The Movie is close to ten years old so some if it might be dated by now.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:11 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:I'm already getting "shipped" confused with whatever new meme/slang is out there these days.
The Movie is close to ten years old so some if it might be dated by now.
It's a forgettable (in the US) 2008 British film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Lo ... %28film%29

No doubt WDIV scheduled the film, due to the make-goods left over from the primaries -- it seems that many movies scheduled off-network by local stations are mainly unknowns and flops, designed to burn off excess local ad sales.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:49 pm

WSPD-TV (precursor of WTVG) did not air the original SNL's from 75-79; a 'summary show' was the first time it was broadcast in Toledo. Had to rely on the rare times that Buckeye remembered to switch the CH4 feed from WSPD to WDIV (or was it that yet?). They had the Storer Broadcasting "good ethics code" that they adhered to in a fancy white parchment frame that they aired at nightly sign-off, so no SNL in it's heyday when WSPD was still the NBC affiliate.

Also, getting tired of not getting my "Jeopardy! fix" with the NCAA BB starting earlier this year- last year it was 7:30pm and they ran Jeopardy in the Wheel slot at 7pm, but now neither air on WTOL, that I know of, on the 7pm NCAA BB nights.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:37 pm

[quote="sfpcc"]I'm already getting "shipped" confused with whatever new meme/slang is out there these days.[/quote]

I didn't know if "Shipped" is a popular word for the subject. I was an English major and a graduate student and we're sort of trained not to reuse certain words, (more like yelled at after writing D and C papers.)

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:23 pm

WOHO wrote:WSPD-TV (precursor of WTVG) did not air the original SNL's from 75-79; a 'summary show' was the first time it was broadcast in Toledo. Had to rely on the rare times that Buckeye remembered to switch the CH4 feed from WSPD to WDIV (or was it that yet?).
WNEM in Saginaw also didn't carry SNL until after the original cast left in 1980 -- my only exposure to SNL at the time were the best-of clip specials in prime-time. The only way for many to see the show was on cable -- at first via WKBD Detroit then, after WDIV finally picked it up, a neighboring NBC affiliate. I didn't have cable at the time, though the Gerity Cable system in Bay City might have carried SNL on its local access / wild card channel, via Grand Rapids affiliate WOTV (today's WOOD).

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:05 pm

sfpcc wrote:The Movie is close to ten years old so some if it might be dated by now.
I meant this...
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/shipping
WOHO wrote:WSPD-TV (precursor of WTVG) did not air the original SNL's from 75-79; a 'summary show' was the first time it was broadcast in Toledo. Had to rely on the rare times that Buckeye remembered to switch the CH4 feed from WSPD to WDIV (or was it that yet?). They had the Storer Broadcasting "good ethics code" that they adhered to in a fancy white parchment frame that they aired at nightly sign-off, so no SNL in it's heyday when WSPD was still the NBC affiliate.

Also, getting tired of not getting my "Jeopardy! fix" with the NCAA BB starting earlier this year- last year it was 7:30pm and they ran Jeopardy in the Wheel slot at 7pm, but now neither air on WTOL, that I know of, on the 7pm NCAA BB nights.
Buckeye Cable didn't start doing that until 1988 or '89. I recall WDIV's NBC feed being left alone back in the early 80's.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:01 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
WOHO wrote:WSPD-TV (precursor of WTVG) did not air the original SNL's from 75-79; a 'summary show' was the first time it was broadcast in Toledo. Had to rely on the rare times that Buckeye remembered to switch the CH4 feed from WSPD to WDIV (or was it that yet?).
WNEM in Saginaw also didn't carry SNL until after the original cast left in 1980 -- my only exposure to SNL at the time were the best-of clip specials in prime-time. The only way for many to see the show was on cable -- at first via WKBD Detroit then, after WDIV finally picked it up, a neighboring NBC affiliate. I didn't have cable at the time, though the Gerity Cable system in Bay City might have carried SNL on its local access / wild card channel, via Grand Rapids affiliate WOTV (today's WOOD).
In Bay City, probably more likely WPBN or WILX than WOTV/WOOD

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:05 pm

ftballfan wrote:
rugratsonline wrote:
I read in an old Television and Cable Factbook around the early 1980s that they got its alternate NBC programming from the then-WOTV, rather than the other affiliates.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:53 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
ftballfan wrote:
rugratsonline wrote:
I read in an old Television and Cable Factbook around the early 1980s that they got its alternate NBC programming from the then-WOTV, rather than the other affiliates.
How were they able to receive what is now WOOD-TV all the way out in Bay City?
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:45 am

mtburb wrote:
rugratsonline wrote:
ftballfan wrote:
rugratsonline wrote:
WOHO wrote:WSPD-TV (precursor of WTVG) did not air the original SNL's from 75-79...
WNEM in Saginaw also didn't carry SNL ...Gerity Cable system in Bay City might have carried SNL on its local access / wild card channel, via Grand Rapids affiliate WOTV (today's WOOD).
How were they able to receive what is now WOOD-TV all the way out in Bay City?
I don't know? Either microwave, or an off-air pickup from a giant receiving antenna (which actually was not uncommon among cable systems before the advent of fiber). Apart from WDIV and WILX, WOTV's transmitter in Middleville is just as close to Bay City as, if not closer than, WPBN or WTOM.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Programming alert: WDIV is preempting a new Superstore for another special this Thursday. This new Superstore will go unaired in the Detroit DMA, which will have us scrambling to pull in either WEYI, WILX or WNWO, all of whom will air it.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm

mtburb wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 pm
Programming alert: WDIV is preempting a new Superstore for another special this Thursday. This new Superstore will go unaired in the Detroit DMA, which will have us scrambling to pull in either WEYI, WILX or WNWO, all of whom will air it.
Poor, poor souls!

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:51 am

mtburb wrote:
I believe it will be up next day on the NBC site and NBC apps. Good, funny show. WDIV won't have my eyes on Thursday.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Tonight's The Middle is prempted by 2017 Taking Action For Detroit. It will be shown at 1AM, (Sue's Roomate, Daniella Bobadilla kind of looks like my cousin.)

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm

mtburb wrote:
Programming alert: WDIV is preempting a new Superstore for another special this Thursday. This new Superstore will go unaired in the Detroit DMA...
sfpcc wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 pm
Tonight's The Middle is prempted by 2017 Taking Action For Detroit. It will be shown at 1AM...
Two pre-emptions by WDIV this week? Did they seriously oversell their local spot times recently?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic