Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Network programming preemptions by individual stations

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by mtburb » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:15 pm

I decided to create this thread to discuss preemptions of network programming by individual stations past and present. Any reason for a particular preemption is allowed here.

Remember that many years ago preemptions of network programs were common in nearly every market since networks were only allowed to own a maximum single-digit number of their own affiliates.

This still happens today to a lesser extent though-a notable example today being how WDIV preempts the Macy's Parade to air the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade (which was originally sponsored by Hudson's, which ironically enough, has been converted to the Macy's nameplate), but luckily they struck a deal with WADL to air the preempted programs. I can't recall WXYZ ever using WMYD as a backup ABC affiliate since WMYD was acquired two years ago and WJBK, WKBD and WWJ are owned and operated by their respective networks, so pretty much nothing gets preempted there.

A recent example I know of was back a few months ago when WDIV preempted the first 30 minutes of a rerun of The Voice to air a half-hour special. I don't think WADL picked that up as it was just the first half-hour of a 60-minute program, but some of us were lucky enough to try pulling in WNWO, WEYI or WILX.

An example from years back was when Press Your Luck first went on the air WJBK was already airing the second half of Donahue in that timeslot and thus many interested viewers would try to get WTOL to watch it anyway. WWMT (back when they were WKZO) didn't clear it either until either January or February 1984, those dates are approximate as I saw a Press Your Luck episode on Buzzr a couple weeks back that began with Peter Tomarken welcoming WWMT into the affiliate lineup.

There were extreme cases though-at least in 1987, neither WDIV nor WTVG cleared Super Password. The closest affiliate that cleared it was WKYC, which was still at the time owned by NBC (and consequently also the closest American network-owned station, as WXYZ had just been sold to Scripps at the start of 1986).
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:08 am

mtburb wrote:I decided to create this thread to discuss preemptions of network programming by individual stations past and present. Any reason for a particular preemption is allowed here.

Remember that many years ago preemptions of network programs were common in nearly every market since networks were only allowed to own a maximum single-digit number of their own affiliates.

This still happens today to a lesser extent though-a notable example today being how WDIV preempts the Macy's Parade to air the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade (which was originally sponsored by Hudson's, which ironically enough, has been converted to the Macy's nameplate), but luckily they struck a deal with WADL to air the preempted programs. I can't recall WXYZ ever using WMYD as a backup ABC affiliate since WMYD was acquired two years ago and WJBK, WKBD and WWJ are owned and operated by their respective networks, so pretty much nothing gets preempted there.

A recent example I know of was back a few months ago when WDIV preempted the first 30 minutes of a rerun of The Voice to air a half-hour special. I don't think WADL picked that up as it was just the first half-hour of a 60-minute program, but some of us were lucky enough to try pulling in WNWO, WEYI or WILX.

An example from years back was when Press Your Luck first went on the air WJBK was already airing the second half of Donahue in that timeslot and thus many interested viewers would try to get WTOL to watch it anyway. WWMT (back when they were WKZO) didn't clear it either until either January or February 1984, those dates are approximate as I saw a Press Your Luck episode on Buzzr a couple weeks back that began with Peter Tomarken welcoming WWMT into the affiliate lineup.

There were extreme cases though-at least in 1987, neither WDIV nor WTVG cleared Super Password. The closest affiliate that cleared it was WKYC, which was still at the time owned by NBC (and consequently also the closest American network-owned station, as WXYZ had just been sold to Scripps at the start of 1986).
Those were annoying times to watch anything that wasn't available to you locally, at least for me. Interesting to learn Detroiters missed out on Press Your Luck initially unless they weren't all Toledo 11 watchers.

User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by mtburb » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:Those were annoying times to watch anything that wasn't available to you locally, at least for me. Interesting to learn Detroiters missed out on Press Your Luck initially unless they weren't all Toledo 11 watchers.
I just found out that by September 1984, WJBK had already started clearing Press Your Luck. Also, WJIM/WLNS also was one of the original Press Your Luck affiliates.

Anyways, how did you guys in Detroit and Toledo manage to be able to watch Super Password and whatever other NBC network programs aired at noon anyway since WDIV and WTVG both ran noon newscasts instead?
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:12 pm

mtburb wrote:
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:Those were annoying times to watch anything that wasn't available to you locally, at least for me. Interesting to learn Detroiters missed out on Press Your Luck initially unless they weren't all Toledo 11 watchers.
I just found out that by September 1984, WJBK had already started clearing Press Your Luck. Also, WJIM/WLNS also was one of the original Press Your Luck affiliates.

Anyways, how did you guys in Detroit and Toledo manage to be able to watch Super Password and whatever other NBC network programs aired at noon anyway since WDIV and WTVG both ran noon newscasts instead?
We either didn't know or cared, given the circumstances (and I should know, those pre-internet days were horrible if you knew you missed out royally), it's not like there were early adopters of VCR's that were trading tapes from Cleveland or elsewhere for us to watch, imagine the kind of time-shifting shenanigans that could've erupted out of unavailability thanks to local station discretion. This guy was the leader...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30PD1WZBr4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYBxfkawhjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxSCdRMrYpo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouBGxBmZ2dk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsg9AJI3BXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCB2Iynf33U

On good days, he was able to pick up stuff like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX_igvcBICc

sfpcc
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by sfpcc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:06 pm

WDIV is preempting Hollywood Game night tomorrow for a special on Flint, (not the biggest loss in the world.)

In the early 90's WDIV didn't show the last few months of The Soap Santa Barbara. Old 62 aired it until it ended in January of 1993.
Last edited by sfpcc on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:12 pm

sfpcc wrote:WDIV is preempting Hollywood Game night tomorrow for a special on Flint, (not the biggest loss in the world.)

In the early 90's WDIV didn't show the few months of The Soap Santa Barbara. Old 62 aired it until it ended in January of 1993.
Too bad Toledo doesn't have that luxury.

User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by mtburb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:56 am

sfpcc wrote:WDIV is preempting Hollywood Game night tomorrow for a special on Flint, (not the biggest loss in the world.)
It will still air in the Detroit market on WADL.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:19 pm

mtburb wrote:
sfpcc wrote:WDIV is preempting Hollywood Game night tomorrow for a special on Flint, (not the biggest loss in the world.)
It will still air in the Detroit market on WADL.
Lucky guys in Detroit I guess.

Thinking of what I said earlier of those of us down here either not knowing or caring, I'm sure there was one or two of us who bothered writing to our local stations about this very matter, and either not being answered or giving some surgar-coated response asspat letter to explain why they decided to dump whatever holiday special in favor of Billy Graham. I used to write letters to WTOL a lot in the late 80's. some got responded on their "11 Listens" segments they had once a week on their 11:00PM newscasts.

User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:23 pm

sfpcc wrote:WDIV is preempting Hollywood Game night tomorrow for a special on Flint, (not the biggest loss in the world.)
Let me guess why -- it's sweeps, it's an election year, and they need every ad dollar that they can get.

User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by mtburb » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:31 am

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:Thinking of what I said earlier of those of us down here either not knowing or caring, I'm sure there was one or two of us who bothered writing to our local stations about this very matter, and either not being answered or giving some surgar-coated response asspat letter to explain why they decided to dump whatever holiday special in favor of Billy Graham. I used to write letters to WTOL a lot in the late 80's. some got responded on their "11 Listens" segments they had once a week on their 11:00PM newscasts.
Well, I hope WTOL didn't preempt any of the Peanuts specials for some talk thingamajig at all during the years CBS aired those specials. If so, then I'm sure hundreds would've be royally mad...
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:39 am

mtburb wrote:
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:Thinking of what I said earlier of those of us down here either not knowing or caring, I'm sure there was one or two of us who bothered writing to our local stations about this very matter, and either not being answered or giving some surgar-coated response asspat letter to explain why they decided to dump whatever holiday special in favor of Billy Graham. I used to write letters to WTOL a lot in the late 80's. some got responded on their "11 Listens" segments they had once a week on their 11:00PM newscasts.
Well, I hope WTOL didn't preempt any of the Peanuts specials for some talk thingamajig at all during the years CBS aired those specials. If so, then I'm sure hundreds would've be royally mad...
They probably did it once or twice and assume people would tune to WJBK instead, I don't recall which specials were dumped though.

User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
mtburb wrote:Well, I hope WTOL didn't preempt any of the Peanuts specials for some talk thingamajig at all during the years CBS aired those specials. If so, then I'm sure hundreds would've be royally mad...
They probably did it once or twice and assume people would tune to WJBK instead, I don't recall which specials were dumped though.
In 1983, WTVT in Tampa, then with CBS, pre-empted a new Peanuts special, "Is This Goodbye, Charlie Brown?" -- with a Three's Company rerun. That series normally aired in the afternoon, but some foolish programmer thought that John Ritter would attract more viewers than Snoopy.

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:42 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
mtburb wrote:Well, I hope WTOL didn't preempt any of the Peanuts specials for some talk thingamajig at all during the years CBS aired those specials. If so, then I'm sure hundreds would've be royally mad...
They probably did it once or twice and assume people would tune to WJBK instead, I don't recall which specials were dumped though.
In 1983, WTVT in Tampa, then with CBS, pre-empted a new Peanuts special, "Is This Goodbye, Charlie Brown?" -- with a Three's Company rerun. That series normally aired in the afternoon, but some foolish programmer thought that John Ritter would attract more viewers than Snoopy.
Now I wonder what kind of backlash could they have gotten from the veteran community had they done that to "What Have We Learned, Charlie Brown?"

User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
rugratsonline wrote:In 1983, WTVT in Tampa, then with CBS, pre-empted a new Peanuts special, "Is This Goodbye, Charlie Brown?" -- with a Three's Company rerun...
Now I wonder what kind of backlash could they have gotten from the veteran community had they done that to "What Have We Learned, Charlie Brown?"
...which, luckily, never happened, as WTVT cleared it first run, and a couple other times when it was seen on CBS.

sfpcc
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by sfpcc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:20 pm

If you have on demand preemptions aren't really such a big problem. The one exception is Jeopardy which never shows up On Demand. (I started a thread a few years ago on the topic, the reaction was mixed.)

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:31 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
rugratsonline wrote:In 1983, WTVT in Tampa, then with CBS, pre-empted a new Peanuts special, "Is This Goodbye, Charlie Brown?" -- with a Three's Company rerun...
Now I wonder what kind of backlash could they have gotten from the veteran community had they done that to "What Have We Learned, Charlie Brown?"
...which, luckily, never happened, as WTVT cleared it first run, and a couple other times when it was seen on CBS.
Good thing. It just seems sad when it is something animated and fun that you miss out on when you're 6 and have to go to bed earlier. That was usually my thing. You'd always want something fun at 8PM and hopefully for an hour if another special was slotted.
sfpcc wrote:If you have on demand preemptions aren't really such a big problem. The one exception is Jeopardy which never shows up On Demand. (I started a thread a few years ago on the topic, the reaction was mixed.)
These days it's a whole different ballpark. We do not have the sort of isolated problems we once did thanks to the net (for me, it would be seeing comic strips that weren't printed locally). At least there's avenues now in case you missed it, and it wouldn't take weeks, months or years to do it.

sfpcc
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by sfpcc » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:25 am

[quote="mtburb"]

Well, I hope WTOL didn't preempt any of the Peanuts specials for some talk thingamajig at all during the years CBS aired those specials. If so, then I'm sure hundreds would've be royally mad...[/quote]

Mtburb, from your posts you seem to be a fan of the Peanuts Cartoons. Did you see the Peanuts Movie that came out last year?

User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by mtburb » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:48 pm

sfpcc wrote:
mtburb wrote:
Well, I hope WTOL didn't preempt any of the Peanuts specials for some talk thingamajig at all during the years CBS aired those specials. If so, then I'm sure hundreds would've be royally mad...

Mtburb, from your posts you seem to be a fan of the Peanuts Cartoons. Did you see the Peanuts Movie that came out last year?
Yes.

Back on topic, I heard over on another forum that last year the CBS and NBC affiliates in Peoria, Illinois preempted much network programs with infomercials. In fact, NBC Nightly News was preempted by a Humana infomercial and even CBS News' coverage of Pope Francis' US visit was preempted by infomercials before joining the news coverage in progress!

This was all a few months ago, before Quincy acquired one of those affiliates.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:46 pm

mtburb wrote:...I heard over on another forum that last year the CBS and NBC affiliates in Peoria, Illinois preempted much network programs with infomercials. In fact, NBC Nightly News was preempted by a Humana infomercial and even CBS News' coverage of Pope Francis' US visit was preempted by infomercials before joining the news coverage in progress!
I bet that went over with Central Illinois' Catholics well. :(

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:54 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
mtburb wrote:...I heard over on another forum that last year the CBS and NBC affiliates in Peoria, Illinois preempted much network programs with infomercials. In fact, NBC Nightly News was preempted by a Humana infomercial and even CBS News' coverage of Pope Francis' US visit was preempted by infomercials before joining the news coverage in progress!
I bet that went over with Central Illinois' Catholics well. :(
And here I'm going :rollin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests