Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Subpar is the new normal

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
TomSanders

Re: Subpar is the new normal

Post by TomSanders » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Listen to radio for more than a day or two. Songs cut off -- not faded to hit a break or network newscast, just bang, gone -- network content upcut by local breaks with too many ads stuffed in them, etc etc ... the same DIY / unfinished chic approach applied to everything else now applied to radio. Mutual -- your network for news, sports and cue tones -- foreshadowed this in the 70s.

the chief

Post by the chief » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:21 am

This is NORMAL when the station is run Un-attended, with no employees in the building and/or no one monitoring the on-air product. The station automation is often programmed by an intern or other inept employee who does not understand the basics of programming. The result is sometimes hours of dead air when the proper automation commands are not entered into the automation PC. Often, simply keeping the automation PC "clock" accurately set can clear up most of the network content upcuts. I hear this on many, many stations these days.
Yes, this is the new normal.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:55 pm

the chief wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:21 am
This is NORMAL when the station is run Un-attended, with no employees in the building and/or no one monitoring the on-air product. The station automation is often programmed by an intern or other inept employee who does not understand the basics of programming. The result is sometimes hours of dead air when the proper automation commands are not entered into the automation PC. Often, simply keeping the automation PC "clock" accurately set can clear up most of the network content upcuts. I hear this on many, many stations these days.
Yes, this is the new normal.
Quite true, on radio and TV alike. Also, automatic mic mixing is something awful IMO. I hear 750milliseconds of cross-room echo before the mic is ungated. That's just STUPID. Having never had one of these units (just give me an actual mixer and cue me, like they did in the old days), I'd have to guess there is a way to set the attack time on each input. If so, people evidently don't know what it does.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic