I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Colbert, Kimmel and Fallon

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
In The Bleachers

Colbert, Kimmel and Fallon

Post by In The Bleachers » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:17 am

As I've said before, I have nothing to do with the broadcast industry, hence the handle. So I have a question for those who do.
Colbert, Kimmel and Fallon all start the show right around 11:35 or so.
What would the advantages and disadvantages of one of them getting a "jump" on the other two, and start the show at 11:30?
And does anyone know if there's a reason they can't do that if they wanted to?
Could 62 just quit showing 2.5 all together, and start Colbert at 11, if they wanted to?
I often ponder if folks basically just waiting on the news or 2.5 to end would start watching the line jumper, stay put, and not watch one of the other two.
Your thoughts?

Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out of office.

sfpcc

Re: Colbert, Kimmel and Fallon

Post by sfpcc » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Conan starts at 11, (and repeats at 12:30 AM.) I still watch him, but at this point I don't really think he's competing with the people you mentioned. Right now he's just kind of there, (like Letterman his best days are long in the past.)

(I sort of miss the Masturbating Bear.)
Last edited by sfpcc on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:13 pm

62 did air Letterman at 11PM years ago.

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks for the replies. I probably should of left out the " … start Colbert at 11 … " part of my original post, because that's not really what I was wondering. I was just curious if one of the three getting a 5 minute jump on the other two would be an advantage or disadvantage.

Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out of office.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Why does SNL start at 11:29 EDT? I watch the news on ABC, and miss the first 6 minutes of SNL

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:59 pm

WOHO wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 pm
Why does SNL start at 11:29 EDT? I watch the news on ABC, and miss the first 6 minutes of SNL
Best reset the clock on that old VCR or tune into WWV (while you can).
SNL starts at 11:30p here in Detroit. Not at 11:35/37 like the weekday shows.
The networks don't do early feeds, though on occasion they can start late due to news coverage, sports overtimes, etc.

Radio Sucks

Post by Radio Sucks » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:40 pm

A very smart although they may not know it wrote:Colbert, Kimmel and Fallon all start the show right around 11:35 or so
There is a legitimate reason for this. At one time, TV (and radio) networks compensated local stations for each national commercial aired. So not only would the local NBC affiliate actually get to sell commercials in The Tonight Show and Knight Rider, they could get cash for every spot NBC sold that aired on their station. As costs for national programming went up (along with the vast amount of commercial inventory on cable) the Big Three abandoned that practice, and gave local stations more spots to sell during the network programming. The most valuable spots to local advertisers are in the local news. And if you watch the last five minutes of a local 11pm newscast, it’s about 3 to 3.5 minutes of commercial time that they can sell at the same cost they get for spots that run before 11:30. The only reason 62 in Detroit runs Colbert at 11 (it did run Letterman at 11) is they are owned by CBS and don’t care about local news (which is very strange for a Top 20 market and a network O&O, but that is a different thread. )

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Radio Sucks wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:40 pm
The only reason 62 in Detroit runs Colbert at 11 (it did run Letterman at 11) is they are owned by CBS and don’t care about local news (which is very strange for a Top 20 market and a network O&O, but that is a different thread. )
CBS62 does not run Colbert at 11pm. Runs from the network at 11:35pm, always has.
The news or no news issue has been discussed ad nauseam. Ain't any, ain't gonna be any.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic