I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Stephen Hawking

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
sfpcc

Stephen Hawking

Post by sfpcc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:04 am

I just found out Stephen Hawking died through The CBC. However, CNN, MSNBC, and Fox are going on about a special election in Pennsylvania. This is kind of strange.

sfpcc

Re: Stephen Hawking

Post by sfpcc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:10 am

ABC Overnight just mentioned it at 3:09 AM (EDT.)

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:38 am

He didn't believe in God. There is nothing to report.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:15 am

audiophile wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:38 am
He didn't believe in God. There is nothing to report.
Interesting perspective from someone who claims to live the life of faith.

He died on Pi day, and the day of Galileo's death. It was on the front page of every major paper.

“I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.”

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Scratch a pious gasbag ...

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:45 pm

He died on Pi day, and the day of Galileo's death. It was on the front page of every major paper.

I hate to be a smart ass but actually he was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo death,( January 8 1942.)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 pm

Thank you for the correction!

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:30 am

Stephen Hawking wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:15 am

“I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.”
I find it interesting that nearly without exception the people I know with the highest level of technical understanding are often the strongest atheists. I think it comes down to them simply not believing anything they cannot technically explain. I feel sorry for them in this and other regards. There is an order to life and the world that I don't feel are an infinite series of random occurances.

Jethro Tull put it well:

And He who made kittens put snakes in the grass,
He's a lover of life, but a player of pawns

We'll all find out, individually, soon enough. I think I know.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Nobody, least of all me, knows. That's why it's called faith, not fact.

I could be wrong about every one of my beliefs about religion, spirituality, the afterlife, etc. I think it's all superstitious horse pucky, but I may have it all wrong.

At least I am willing to admit it.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:35 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:30 am
I find it interesting that nearly without exception the people I know with the highest level of technical understanding are often the strongest atheists. I think it comes down to them simply not believing anything they cannot technically explain. I feel sorry for them in this and other regards. There is an order to life and the world that I don't feel are an infinite series of random occurances.
Well, I've always felt there has to be something or someone of a supernatural nature keeping an order to life.
This will sound silly to most, but I often ponder the universe, and infinity. Something that, like you said, can not be technically explained.
I'll never grasp the concept of the universe never ending.
Which means I will always feel there just has to be a supreme being of some sort with their hand involved in this.
A Creator. Call it God. Call it whatever.

Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out of office.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic