(Message from M.W. as of 4/15/2018): The Buzzboard has made its triumphant return to the Tapatalk mobile app! Thanks everyone for your patience. All new acct registrations in the queue as of 4/15 at 8:15a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Flint (The Movie)

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
sfpcc
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Flint (The Movie)

Post by sfpcc » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:17 pm

This Saturday the 28th at 8:00 PM, (EST) Lifetime will be showing Flint, a dramatic film about the Flint Water Crisis.

(I plan to watch it, that really all I got to say at this point.)

organman95
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by organman95 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:28 am

So is this the thing now? Making "movies" about every CURRENT event?

User avatar
Vic Doucette
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:06 am
Location: Metro Detroit
Contact:

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by Vic Doucette » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 am

Curious to see how Curt Guyette is portrayed.
Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:08 pm

organman95 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:28 am
So is this the thing now? Making "movies" about every CURRENT event?
What else can they do anymore, make something original? :lol:

organman95
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by organman95 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:23 am

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:08 pm
What else can they do anymore, make something original? :lol:
Good point...

User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by TheForce » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Personally I think this is in poor taste. Exploitation...

User avatar
Plate Cap
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:18 am
Location: After the rectifier stack

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Just the left trying to make hay out of an unfortunate situation, and rewrite it into a class/racial/whatever issue.

The facts are simple: Flint didn't want to pay Detroit's outrageous water rates (which is yet another entire story), and pushed an answer forward before it was ready to fly. Someone in a technical management position overlooked some simple chemistry that needed to be in the water from the new source to prevent lead leaching from the pipes (lead pipes are EVERYWHERE). The oversight chain failed.....but if Flint's water people really had their Big Boy Pants on, is it really someone else's job to oversee them? Had that happened wouldn't that be another version of "keeping them down" (i.e. Detroit Public Schools overight) ?

After it came to light, a bunch of people screwed up and didn't react fast/well enough....just like every major public crisis.

The revisionists will continue to rewrite it into an organized and well orchestrated plan by 'the Man' to "keep the (insert favorite 'minority' (which certainly is not a minority) name here) down".

Kinda surprised that Piggy Moore was not involved in this one. "Cher", that master-filmmaker apparently was, though.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

User avatar
Vic Doucette
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:06 am
Location: Metro Detroit
Contact:

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by Vic Doucette » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:35 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:43 pm
Just the left trying to make hay out of an unfortunate situation, and rewrite it into a class/racial/whatever issue.

The facts are simple: Flint didn't want to pay Detroit's outrageous water rates (which is yet another entire story), and pushed an answer forward before it was ready to fly. Someone in a technical management position overlooked some simple chemistry that needed to be in the water from the new source to prevent lead leaching from the pipes (lead pipes are EVERYWHERE). The oversight chain failed.....but if Flint's water people really had their Big Boy Pants on, is it really someone else's job to oversee them? Had that happened wouldn't that be another version of "keeping them down" (i.e. Detroit Public Schools overight) ?

After it came to light, a bunch of people screwed up and didn't react fast/well enough....just like every major public crisis.

The revisionists will continue to rewrite it into an organized and well orchestrated plan by 'the Man' to "keep the (insert favorite 'minority' (which certainly is not a minority) name here) down".

Kinda surprised that Piggy Moore was not involved in this one. "Cher", that master-filmmaker apparently was, though.
Do you think that the same conditions would have been permitted to occur, or would have been ignored if they had occurred, in Grosse Pointe Shores or Birmingham?
Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

User avatar
Plate Cap
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:18 am
Location: After the rectifier stack

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Your question is interesting, as it's one of those that really does not really ask a question with a desire for an answer, but instead attempts to sell a theory. In this case, it's a broken theory.

Yes, it most certainly would "have been permitted to occur" in Grosse Pointe Shores (why did you pick the Shores for your example?), or Birmingham because, regrettably for the left (so far) we don't have a "central committee" quite yet that approves or permits everything. Witness the Detroit School Board screaming like stuck pigs when the State stepped in and took things over, removing the limousine rides for the board members. As with the rest of socialism, central approval is a goal, but we are not there yet, thank God. Give it time, though.....you'll get there.

Your question was just my point. Flint is a big city, full of big boys and girls, and empowered to do things like contract for water or set up their own supply. They got themselves into this mess.

As I said (it doesn't fit the agenda to notice that I said it) a bunch of people screwed up after the fact....in Flint, in the State, and in the Federal government in the aftermath. It makes good press for the left to say it was because the people are poor and/or black, but it's pretty obvious to anyone with a pulse that no would would really act or not act on an issue of this magnitude based upon that. This is not the 1950s nor is it Selma. Again, it might sell the agenda, but its simply not true.

Bottom line, the entire state and the Federal government is now bailing (no pun intended) Flint out of crisis of essentially their own making. No matter if its residents are black, white, green or purple, that is the fact.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

User avatar
Vic Doucette
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:06 am
Location: Metro Detroit
Contact:

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by Vic Doucette » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:35 pm

This, my modulation-impaired friend, is where your argument falls apart under its own lack of weight.
Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm

we don't have a "central committee" quite yet that approves or permits everything.
But we did have an unelected emergency manager in charge of Flint, beholden to nobody but Gov. Snyder. If you didn't know, didn't care, or didn't care to know, here's the review.

In the 2012 general election, the right wing of the Republican Party got Proposal 1 on the ballot. If approved, it would have set out conditions under which emergency managers would be allowed to run cities and school districts that were under financial distress. Such EMs had been in power since 2011. The bill was defeated by a margin of 53 percent-47 percent.

Instead of obeying the will of the voters, the Legislature, while in lame duck session, rammed through a bill containing the same language and Gov. Snyder signed it.

https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Emerge ... l_1_(2012)

Under this law, Allen Park, Benton Harbor, Detroit (and the Detroit Public Schools), Ecorse, Flint and Pontiac were placed under emergency management. All were solidly Democratic; all but Allen Park were majority black. Under this measure, almost half of the black people in the state lived under emergency managers.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/ ... 76777.html

What, exactly, does that mean?

For starters, it meant a suspension of democracy as you and I have known it. The EM, acting under the authority of and responsible only to the governor, had dictatorial powers. The EM could buy and sell property; make and break contracts, including those negotiated between a union and a city; dissolve or ignore elected officials such as mayors, city councils and the like -- in fact, the EM's dictatorial powers had only one legal limitation: He/she couldn't miss a bond payment. Other than that, it was a one-person fiefdom. What the EM (which is to say, Gov. Snyder) wanted, the EM got.

You go on to claim:
Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm
Flint is a big city, full of big boys and girls, and empowered to do things like contract for water or set up their own supply. They got themselves into this mess.
Nope. It was entirely the work of the EM. The voters, the mayor, the city council had all been stripped of their rights and powers. They had no say. Here's a good, step-by-step look at what happened.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... f-a-crisis

If you don't want to read it, the bottom line is that officials switched to an unsafe water source, didn't give it the proper -- and inexpensive -- treatment to eliminate its corrosive properties and, as a result, poisoned a city of 100,000 people. They then lied about it and tried to cover it up. At least nine people, including two former city managers, are under criminal indictment over what happened.

An entire generation of kids from Flint suffer from lead poisoning. There's no cure for it. It lowers IQ, causes behavioral issues and a myriad of other problems.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs379/en/

And the whole sad, sorry issue can be laid squarely at the feet of One Tough Nerd. I'd like to see him swinging at the end of a rope for it.

Thank goodness for my friend and former colleague Curt Guyette, the finest journalist I have ever known, who broke this story.
https://www.cjr.org/united_states_proje ... chigan.php

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/ar ... f-the-year

http://www.hillmanfoundation.org/hillma ... journalism


Thanks also to the other journalists, especially the folks at Michigan Public Radio, who followed up.

In closing. I'll ask more of those questions you don't seem to care for. Imagine that a foreign government -- say, the Chinese -- or a non-governmental organization -- say, ISIL -- had poisoned the water supply of an American city of 100,000. How would we have responded? What would we have done? How long would it have taken for us to get started on it?

I know the answer. So do you.
Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

User avatar
Plate Cap
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:18 am
Location: After the rectifier stack

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:26 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:35 pm
This, my modulation-impaired friend, is where your argument falls apart under its own lack of weight.
And, my bias-impaired friend, the matter is more complex than you state.

It may be difficult for you to comprehend, since this seems to be more about politics than issues to you. Did you get a SNAP card revoked? Had to go back to work? Does your union now have to SERVE its members to keep them as members? Huh. Must be something.

You missed my clear statement that people screwed up....and I'll add, all the way to the top. But, since you gloss over, since it doesn't support your politics, Flint still voted 7-1 to move water supplies. Read:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politic ... /76037130/

I know the left does a lot of dreaming, but did that (big bad) Snyder-appointed EM hold guns to those 7 people's heads? Threaten to send them to bed without dinner?

I'm sure it's something. Only Snyder can screw up, right....that is what the Directorate told you to say, right?

I return to:

Flint made a decision.....a 7-1 one........an unnecessary, hurried one.....to change water sources, and pushed it through. We agree that the fix to use the Flint River water would be cheap and easy, but people did NOT do their jobs. Right to the top. Lots of people along the way screwed the pooch royally.....the stuff that makes E and O insurance carriers gag.....screwups that were made very far outside of the general oversight of things.

Do I blame only one group? Nope....read my message. This was a COMEDY of errors. I'm just not so biased as you, the liberal media, and the movie makers that I jump up and down and rush to politicize an issue involving a leader I don't like.

But it's more "convenient" for you to just blame the guy that probably sent you back to work.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 5088
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by audiophile » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Watch out Plate, your dealing with a psycho-journalist. :blink
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:14 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:35 pm
This, my modulation-impaired friend, is where your argument falls apart under its own lack of weight.
Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm

we don't have a "central committee" quite yet that approves or permits everything.
But we did have an unelected emergency manager in charge of Flint, beholden to nobody but Gov. Snyder. If you didn't know, didn't care, or didn't care to know, here's the review.

In the 2012 general election, the right wing of the Republican Party got Proposal 1 on the ballot. If approved, it would have set out conditions under which emergency managers would be allowed to run cities and school districts that were under financial distress. Such EMs had been in power since 2011. The bill was defeated by a margin of 53 percent-47 percent.

Instead of obeying the will of the voters, the Legislature, while in lame duck session, rammed through a bill containing the same language and Gov. Snyder signed it.

https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Emerge ... l_1_(2012)

Under this law, Allen Park, Benton Harbor, Detroit (and the Detroit Public Schools), Ecorse, Flint and Pontiac were placed under emergency management. All were solidly Democratic; all but Allen Park were majority black. Under this measure, almost half of the black people in the state lived under emergency managers.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/ ... 76777.html

What, exactly, does that mean?

For starters, it meant a suspension of democracy as you and I have known it. The EM, acting under the authority of and responsible only to the governor, had dictatorial powers. The EM could buy and sell property; make and break contracts, including those negotiated between a union and a city; dissolve or ignore elected officials such as mayors, city councils and the like -- in fact, the EM's dictatorial powers had only one legal limitation: He/she couldn't miss a bond payment. Other than that, it was a one-person fiefdom. What the EM (which is to say, Gov. Snyder) wanted, the EM got.

You go on to claim:
Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm
Flint is a big city, full of big boys and girls, and empowered to do things like contract for water or set up their own supply. They got themselves into this mess.
Nope. It was entirely the work of the EM. The voters, the mayor, the city council had all been stripped of their rights and powers. They had no say. Here's a good, step-by-step look at what happened.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... f-a-crisis

If you don't want to read it, the bottom line is that officials switched to an unsafe water source, didn't give it the proper -- and inexpensive -- treatment to eliminate its corrosive properties and, as a result, poisoned a city of 100,000 people. They then lied about it and tried to cover it up. At least nine people, including two former city managers, are under criminal indictment over what happened.

An entire generation of kids from Flint suffer from lead poisoning. There's no cure for it. It lowers IQ, causes behavioral issues and a myriad of other problems.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs379/en/

And the whole sad, sorry issue can be laid squarely at the feet of One Tough Nerd. I'd like to see him swinging at the end of a rope for it.

Thank goodness for my friend and former colleague Curt Guyette, the finest journalist I have ever known, who broke this story.
https://www.cjr.org/united_states_proje ... chigan.php

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/ar ... f-the-year

http://www.hillmanfoundation.org/hillma ... journalism


Thanks also to the other journalists, especially the folks at Michigan Public Radio, who followed up.

In closing. I'll ask more of those questions you don't seem to care for. Imagine that a foreign government -- say, the Chinese -- or a non-governmental organization -- say, ISIL -- had poisoned the water supply of an American city of 100,000. How would we have responded? What would we have done? How long would it have taken for us to get started on it?

I know the answer. So do you.
Post all the links you want you doddering old psychopath fool, but you're getting basic facts WRONG. The Flint City Council did vote to change water sources. Your representation of Proposal 1 is WRONG. Saying the governor should be hung shows you are borderline insane. That's a really sick thing to suggest.
In the 2012 general election, the right wing of the Republican Party got Proposal 1 on the ballot.
Nope, from your OWN link:
Stand Up for Democracy Campaign is a coalition that sought to place the referendum on the ballot.

Michigan Forward also supported placing PA 4 on the ballot. According to their website
Basic fact that you can't get right.

Also:
Instead of obeying the will of the voters, the Legislature, while in lame duck session, rammed through a bill containing the same language and Gov. Snyder signed it.
Wrong again:

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf ... emerg.html
But unlike Public Act 4 of 2011, the new law allows local officials to choose between four different forms of intervention: A consent agreement, chapter 9 bankruptcy, mediation or emergency manager.
Some journalist you are...

906XJ
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:19 am

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by 906XJ » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:06 am

Damn, I heard that slap all the way up here in the sticks.

sfpcc
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by sfpcc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 pm

I saw the movie. It actually was kind of boring. I guess it's hard to dramatize a skin rash if the person isn't going to turn into a zombie, (or maybe if your Meryl Streep in Silkwood.)

sfpcc
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by sfpcc » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:22 pm

[quote=sfpcc post_id=565011 time=1511325506 user_id=4168]
I saw the movie. It actually was kind of boring. I guess it's hard to dramatize a skin rash if the person isn't going to turn into a zombie, (or maybe if your Meryl Streep in Silkwood.)
[/quote]
In the last month or so Lifetime had three other docudramas: Oscar Pistorious, The Lost Wife Of Robert Durst, and I Am Elizabeth Smart. Oscar Pistorious was meh and Robert Durst was somewhat better. However, I Am Elizabeth Smart was amazing, though it is hard to watch because of the subject. The last five minutes were especially strong.

sfpcc
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by sfpcc » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Flint has been nominated for a Critic's Choice Award for best TV Movie.

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:07 am

sfpcc wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:09 pm
Flint has been nominated for a Critic's Choice Award for best TV Movie.
Well, that's something.

sfpcc
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Re: Flint (The Movie)

Post by sfpcc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm

[quote=sfpcc post_id=566858 time=1514243395 user_id=4168]
Flint has been nominated for a Critic's Choice Award for best TV Movie.
[/quote]


Flint did NOT win. The HBO's The Wizard Of Lies did, (It's about Bernie Madoff.)

The other nominees were:

The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks (HBO)
I Am Elizabeth Smart (Lifetime)
Sherlock: Lying Detective (PBS)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic