Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Worst summer '17 television series...

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Worst summer '17 television series...

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:17 pm

My vote goes to Battle of the Network Stars on ABC.

Awful. Tedious. Pointless.

Those are the three adjectives that best describe this complete waste of time packaged as a television series. I don't see how anyone can possibly be entertained by this program.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

sfpcc

Re: Worst summer '17 television series...

Post by sfpcc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:26 pm

I've been watching it. To me it's not that different than the first one. Some people like C level celebrities on Kayaks or seeing Mischa Barton on a dunk tank.

Last night some of the celeb's were to old or out of shape to be there, (Jackee and Jimmy Waker, isn't he around 70?)

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Candy Crush is plain awful.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Agreed!
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Only thing going for Battle of the Network stars is the old Wide World of Sports opening, plus the men wearing the Howard Cosell, Jim McKay bronzed blazers, complete with patch. I'd actually like to have one of the jackets for old time's sake. I don't understand why they don't use very much in the way of graphics? I don't know half of these people, so they should be showing their name and show about every 10 minutes- heck, even Family Feud will do that much for some celeb teams, would it hurt to add a little production with onscreen graphics- very hard to follow the action other than the tug-o-war.
Candy Crush- yep, they would be better off showing B&W reruns of 1960's Jeopardy shows in that time slot with the late Art Fleming & Don Pardo, or even the color version in 78.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Know what game show I'd love to see make a comeback?

Concentration.

Of course, for Gen X'ers, it is better known as "Classic Concentration."

The short-lived CBS game show, Body Language, is another personal fave of mine. Buzzr airs that one.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:48 am

Speaking of classic gameshow remakes, Press Your Luck needs a remake. Not like the one they tried in the early 2000s, but one with a studio and board set up just like the original, except make the board wider to accommodate today's 16:9 aspect ratio and raise the dollar amounts.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 am

The early 00's remake had a lame looking game board. Also didn't like how the opening question round was abandoned.

A prime time, limited run version of PYL would be best. Make it very high stakes.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 pm

I just found out that TBS is going to air a version of The Joker's Wild with Snoop Dog, (unless it's a different show the same title.)

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:58 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 pm
I just found out that TBS is going to air a version of The Joker's Wild with Snoop Dog, (unless it's a different show the same title.)
Ahhh....The Joker's Wild! The original proved to be the vehicle of redemption for Jack Barry and Dan Enright after the quiz show scandals of the late 50's (Barry/Enright produced the scandal-ridden Twenty-One, which Barry also hosted). Ironically, 70's game shows like The Joker's Wild were still subject to various caps on contestant winnings and appearances imposed by the networks in the wake of the scandals. The daytime version of The Joker's Wild aired on CBS, which capped contestants at $25,000 in total winnings across all their game shows (as did ABC). NBC limited contestants to five consecutive daily appearances on their shows. As time went on, the networks loosened the caps until by the 80's, they were gone altogether.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:02 am

[quote="Calvert DeForest" post_id=561658 time=1506189496 user_id=56] NBC limited contestants to five consecutive daily appearances on their shows. As time went on, the networks loosened the caps until by the 80's, they were gone altogether.
[/quote]

Jeopardy had a 5 episode cap till around 2003 / 2004. This led to Ken Jennings 74 episode winning run in 2004.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:13 pm

I was going to also add that Jeopardy! had the 5 show limit when the smartest guy prior to Ken Jennings was on - and I think he is their all time cash winner, even with his initial 5-show-only run. I also believe that Jeopardy! gave you a car on Day 5 as a send-off prize for a year or two when Trebek took the reins. IIRC, "Split Second" back in 1972 with Tom Kennedy, would let you go up and pick whichever car you wanted on your day 5 - and the Corvette was the usual choice!

My parents were the ones that told me about Jack Barry's past while I was watching The Joker's Wild as a kid- it was originally on the daytime, then hopped to the "after supper tv timeslot" with Wink Martindale's TicTacDough; those slots would later be filled by Wheel and Jeopardy!

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:17 am

In other game show news Lets Make A Deal Host Monte Hall has died at age 96.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic