Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 6-25-2017 at 7:45p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Riverdale

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
sfpcc

Riverdale

Post by sfpcc » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:25 am

This Thursday the 26 at 9 The CW is going Airing the premier of Riverdale, a dark version of of the world of Archie Comics. I am not sure if this is a cool idea or a very bad idea. I'm going to watch it and kind of keep an open mind.
Last edited by sfpcc on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rugratsonline

Re: Riverdale

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:04 pm

A far cry from the days when their Saturday Morning cartoon show made "Sugar Sugar" a hit.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:37 am

rugratsonline wrote:A far cry from the days when their Saturday Morning cartoon show made "Sugar Sugar" a hit.
Someone's getting paid to make this edgelord crap.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:55 am

It's great to explore this sort of thing, but the age group it appeals to may have a number of members who are ill prepared to separate fantasy from normal behavior.

We are shocked and reel when a school shooting occurs, immediately blaming the NRA and every legal gun owner for the heinous act. Yet, the opening show of this series highlights it and brings it home to the viewer....perhaps normalizing it to some in the process.

It's an interesting example of how 'art' progresses.....of freedom of speech......but sometimes the viewer is just not prepared. Modern parenting sometimes falls short in this regard, with no shortage of shock and disbelief when someone realizes their kid created his own version of the show, not understanding there is not a channel change knob on life.

By the way, in writing this, I went to Wikipedia for a few names of recognizable school shootings....I was amazed to see the list, progressing from the 1700's forward...it seemed to happen all the time in the 1800's.....even given the dearth of accurate reporting and media. Maybe not such a new thing.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:26 pm

Plate Cap wrote:It's great to explore this sort of thing, but the age group it appeals to may have a number of members who are ill prepared to separate fantasy from normal behavior.

We are shocked and reel when a school shooting occurs, immediately blaming the NRA and every legal gun owner for the heinous act. Yet, the opening show of this series highlights it and brings it home to the viewer....perhaps normalizing it to some in the process.

It's an interesting example of how 'art' progresses.....of freedom of speech......but sometimes the viewer is just not prepared. Modern parenting sometimes falls short in this regard, with no shortage of shock and disbelief when someone realizes their kid created his own version of the show, not understanding there is not a channel change knob on life.

By the way, in writing this, I went to Wikipedia for a few names of recognizable school shootings....I was amazed to see the list, progressing from the 1700's forward...it seemed to happen all the time in the 1800's.....even given the dearth of accurate reporting and media. Maybe not such a new thing.
The irony is you find out there has been violence in the past anyway. Some would argue since man has been this way since the dawn of time, it's not going to change at all. That's a pretty stupid comment to begin with and is often used by gamers to justify playing the very same violent games they always do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9niDM9qmaS0

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:11 am

I watched it last night and was a little surprised. Watching Archie and friends exist in a Twin Peaks like world was kind of fun. The cast the was pretty good. The actor playing Archie, KJ Apa, did look a lot like Archie. Veronica was good too, and she didn't have that annoying southern accent like she did in the 60's cartoon. Josie And The Pussycats were also there, but in this version they looked more like Destiny's Child. What was missing was Reggie, Mr Weatherbe, and Hilda, (maybe they'll show up later.)

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:15 am

What was missing was Reggie, Mr Weatherbe, and Hilda, (maybe they'll show up later.)[/quote]

I was wrong. Reggie was there but I didn't recognized him as Reggie.

SoupySez

Post by SoupySez » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:06 pm

sfpcc wrote:What was missing was Reggie, Mr Weatherbe, and Hilda, (maybe they'll show up later.)
I was wrong. Reggie was there but I didn't recognized him as Reggie.[/quote]

What about Jughead and Miss Grundy?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:36 am

Plate Cap wrote:It's great to explore this sort of thing, but the age group it appeals to may have a number of members who are ill prepared to separate fantasy from normal behavior.

I'm currently reading a book called Assassination Generation. The author is an Army Ranger and psychologist who has studied the effects of media violence (video games in particular) on the psyches of kids. His background, admittedly, was in desensitizing troops to the effects of battle. He is now putting that knowledge and experience to good by educating parents about the effects of fantasy violence on young minds. You can probably find it at your library (that's where I got it).

We keep tight tabs on the games that our boys play and the stuff they watch on the tube. Games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto aren't allowed in our house, and although we can't monitor what they do when they're at the neighbor kids' houses, we've had the discussion with them about why they're not allowed to play such games. It's a challenge in a world where virtual reality is becoming more prevalent and the lines are being continually blurred.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:31 am

This Post may contain spoiler alerts.

In the pilot one somebody is found dead in the woods after have being shot. Their is no Columbine type incident in it. The shooting happens off campus during summer vacation.

Jughead and Miss Grundy were in it. Miss Grundy is an attractive music teacher in her 30's,(I guess) and not the white haired old harridan from the comics. Jughead is there at the beginning and the end of the episode. He is basically a misfit wannabee journaist. (He also looks nothing like the crown wearing teen we all know and love. The character is played by Cole Sprouse from The Suite Life Of Zach And Cody.)

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:15 pm

sfpcc wrote:We are shocked and reel when a school shooting occurs, immediately blaming the NRA and every legal gun owner for the heinous act. Yet, the opening show of this series highlights it and brings it home to the viewer....perhaps normalizing it to some in the process.

This Post may contain spoiler alerts.

In the pilot one somebody is found dead in the woods after have being shot. Their is no Columbine type incident in it. The shooting happens off campus during summer vacation.

Jughead and Miss Grundy were in it. Miss Grundy is an attractive music teacher in her 30's,(I guess) and not the white haired old harridan from the comics. Jughead is there at the beginning and the end of the episode. He is basically a misfit wannabee journaist. (He also looks nothing like the crown wearing teen we all know and love. The character is played by Cole Sprouse from The Suite Life Of Zach And Cody.)
I will say if there's one thing this show may do, is get certain people interested in seeing what elsew Archie-related is out there, and become dismayed at how silly the comics were, especially those outside North America where Archie was never published.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:01 am

What about Jughead and Miss Grundy?

Miss Grundy is played by Sarah Habel. I looked at her Wikipedia page and it says that she went to Michigan State.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:14 am

What was missing was Reggie, Mr Weatherbee, and Hilda, (maybe they'll show up later.)

My mistake. I said Hilda when I meant to say Big Ethel. Hilda was one of Sabrina's aunts.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:00 am

What about Jughead and Miss Grundy?[/quote]

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT AHEAD

The woman we thought was Miss Grundy wasn't her at all. The real MS Grundy died seven years before the series began, (we see her picture and she looks just like the woman from the comics.) The character we think is her is actually Jennifer Gibson, who was using the teacher's identity to get away from an abusive marriage.

(As you can tell we are a long way away from the cartoon that used to show up on Old 62.)

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:06 am

sfpcc wrote: MAJOR SPOILER ALERT AHEAD

The woman we thought was Miss Grundy wasn't her at all. The real MS Grundy died seven years before the series began, (we see her picture and she looks just like the woman from the comics.) The character we think is her is actually Jennifer Gibson, who was using the teacher's identity to get away from an abusive marriage.

(As you can tell we are a long way away from the cartoon that used to show up on Old 62.)
And yet, I already noticed a lot of dismayed children who just watched Riverdale, then go on YouTube and watch an episode of the Filmation Archie cartoon and are just literally upset at how drastic it is. I love it!

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:35 pm

The Archie's I remember is from the Filmation Series and the comics from the 60's and 70's. Supposedly a lot has changed since then. So far in Riverdale we see a lot of Cheryl Blossom and Kevin Keller who didn't exist the Archie Unverse during that time,
(and In the case of Kevin Keller couldn't exist at at time.)

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:37 pm

sfpcc wrote:The Archie's I remember is from the Filmation Series and the comics from the 60's and 70's. Supposedly a lot has changed since then. So far in Riverdale we see a lot of Cheryl Blossom and Kevin Keller who didn't exist the Archie Unverse during that time,
(and In the case of Kevin Keller couldn't exist at at time.)
Obvious!

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:40 pm

A look at the accuracy of the TV characters versus the comics -- Reggie was spot on, while Archie's dad and Ms. Grundy were total fails...

http://www.looper.com/43851/cast-riverdale-really-look/

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:11 pm

[quote=rugratsonline post_id=550249 time=1488760816 user_id=129]
A look at the accuracy of the TV characters versus the comics -- Reggie was spot on, while Archie's dad and Ms. Grundy were total fails.]

I'd give K J Apa a higher grade than a 3 of 10, (though I do admit his look is very CW.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic