Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The mainstream media don’t treat conservatives and libertarians fairly — and Americans have noticed

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

The mainstream media don’t treat conservatives and libertarians fairly — and Americans have noticed

Post by audiophile » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:32 am

I'm still waiting for them to call them "pro-life" and "pro-choice" to show their even marginal non-bias. Not once have I heard this happen on MSM.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... r-BB1iucaF

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Re: The mainstream media don’t treat conservatives and libertarians fairly — and Americans have noticed

Post by TC Talks » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:57 am

Americans have noticed and DON'T CARE.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Re: The mainstream media don’t treat conservatives and libertarians fairly — and Americans have noticed

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:15 am

Death, taxes, and media bias.

I've reached the point where I actually agree with TCT on this one - I just plain don't care. Conservatives have to get better at dealing with it. They need a better product. They need better communication skills. I'm not directing this last comment at you personally, but Conservatives need to stop incessantly whining about it. Every day some prominent conservative complains about Conservatives not being treated fairly by the media. Bottom line is Conservatives will never be treated fairly by much of the media and they need to rely on ways other than the traditional media to get their message to the people.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:27 am

TC Talks is right, no one cares. As an old school conservative I brush it off. Media bias is the least of our problems.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:40 am

zzand wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:27 am
TC Talks is right, no one cares. As an old school conservative I brush it off. Media bias is the least of our problems.
I do sort of disagree with your last comment - I do think media bias is a significant problem in this country. And it goes both ways as "Conservative" media outlets are equally biased. This is at least partly responsible for the recent trend towards tribalism in our politics, and it is this tribalism that is slowly tearing this country apart.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:47 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:15 am

I've reached the point where I actually agree with TCT on this one - I just plain don't care. Conservatives have to get better at dealing with it. They need a better product. They need better communication skills. I'm not directing this last comment at you personally, but Conservatives need to stop incessantly whining about it. Every day some prominent conservative complains about Conservatives not being treated fairly by the media. Bottom line is Conservatives will never be treated fairly by much of the media and they need to rely on ways other than the traditional media to get their message to the people.
Trump and his supporters are the king of victims. How do you reconcile your support?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:03 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:15 am

Don’t conflate fairly with “he says the sky is green not blue so we have a duty to report that without pointing out he’s wrong and let the audience make up their mind.” Because that sucks too.

Secondly the idea that the media need to be “fair” to anybody is very 1930’s of you. We had a fairness doctrine that did maybe cause some increase in neutrality and then so did World War 2. Prior to that the media in this country was largely a shitshow of warring newspapers with axes to grind. Now we are returning to the historical norm with video capability this time.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:09 am

Trump has caused the tribalism in politics. SO I stand by my statement. We have many other issues that are far more important than someone getting butt hurt over media reporting. Most of those who get butt hurt are MAGA types and tough titties to them. Follow a clown deal with the fallout from it. I no longer consider myself a Republican and instead chose Old School Conservative, something MAGA knows nothing about.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:36 am

Matt wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:47 am
Trump and his supporters are the king of victims. How do you reconcile your support?
You voted for him twice. Do you think he got a fair shake from the media prior to losing the 2020 election?

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:47 am

Rate This wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:03 am
Don’t conflate fairly with “he says the sky is green not blue so we have a duty to report that without pointing out he’s wrong and let the audience make up their mind.” Because that sucks too.

Secondly the idea that the media need to be “fair” to anybody is very 1930’s of you. We had a fairness doctrine that did maybe cause some increase in neutrality and then so did World War 2. Prior to that the media in this country was largely a shitshow of warring newspapers with axes to grind. Now we are returning to the historical norm with video capability this time.
I'm not conflating anything, nor am I suggesting that there's any requirement that the media be "fair." I'm not talking about times when politicians (or regular people) are rightfully scrutinized for their behavior. I'm talking about how the media treats each side under otherwise similar circumstances.

The most glaring example I can think of is how Covid-era protests were covered by the media. The media took a very sympathetic view to the various things protested by the left during Covid (George Floyd being the most high-profile example) and let slide things like the fact that the protesters were violating all kinds of Covid protocol by having large gatherings and not wearing masks. And of course the infamous "mostly peaceful" protests meme comes to mind from CNN where protesters were literally setting the block on fire in the background. When the right would protest things like lockdowns, the media took a highly critical view, almost without exception, even when the protests were peaceful.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:00 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:47 am
Rate This wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:03 am

I'm not conflating anything, nor am I suggesting that there's any requirement that the media be "fair." I'm not talking about times when politicians (or regular people) are rightfully scrutinized for their behavior. I'm talking about how the media treats each side under otherwise similar circumstances.

The most glaring example I can think of is how Covid-era protests were covered by the media. The media took a very sympathetic view to the various things protested by the left during Covid (George Floyd being the most high-profile example) and let slide things like the fact that the protesters were violating all kinds of Covid protocol by having large gatherings and not wearing masks. And of course the infamous "mostly peaceful" protests meme comes to mind from CNN where protesters were literally setting the block on fire in the background. When the right would protest things like lockdowns, the media took a highly critical view, almost without exception, even when the protests were peaceful.
The media has an agenda but it’s money and not political. They will go to whatever position they think makes them money and they will not lose money to take a stand. So if it seems like there is an overwhelming outpouring for anti-lockdowns… off we go. But that was a minority position so off we didn’t go. Watching the block be burned down and not criticizing it happening very much makes great TV and makes them cash. So does carping on Biden’s age even though no dropping out is possible and he’ll be the nominee by Super Tuesday.

They are biased but towards the almighty dollar. Harm to anyone or the country be damned.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:01 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:36 am
Matt wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:47 am
You voted for him twice. Do you think he got a fair shake from the media prior to losing the 2020 election?
No, but that's irrelevant as stated previously in this thread. Actions have consequences.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic