Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Trump privately supporting 16 week abortion ban

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Trump privately supporting 16 week abortion ban

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:38 am

km1125 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:33 am
And to complicate the issue, why do some babies "earn" the protection from the state because the medical system intervened in the course of normal pregnancy via caesarean delivery, while others (similarly in their development stage) do not get those protections until after natural birth?
Probably because one is out of the womb and therefore born and the other is not.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:08 am

Mr. Black and White wrote:Ultimately, abortion is one of those issues that splits Americans fairly evenly
While personal beliefs of having an abortion may be equal, views on the protection of the right to an abortion very clearly favors choice:
Pew Research Center has conducted many surveys about abortion over the years, providing a lens into Americans’ views on whether the procedure should be legal, among a host of other questions. In a Center survey conducted after the Supreme Court’s June 2022 decision to end the constitutional right to abortion, 62% of U.S. adults said the practice should be legal in all or most cases, while 36% said it should be illegal in all or most cases. Another survey showed that relatively few Americans take an absolutist view on the issue.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:16 am

Yeah, we've been over this before. I linked that very survey 2 years ago and earlier in this thread. You're distorting the numbers as only 25% believe it should be legal in ALL cases. The other 75% do believe in at least some type of restrictions. Dig through that survey data, you might just learn something. It breaks down people's views by week of pregnancy, and as I pointed out earlier, a small 51-47 majority believe abortion should be outright illegal beyond week 24.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:18 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:16 am
Yeah, we've been over this before. I linked that very survey 2 years ago and earlier in this thread. You're distorting the numbers as only 25% believe it should be legal in ALL cases. The other 75% do believe in at least some type of restrictions. Dig through that survey data, you might just learn something. It breaks down people's views by week of pregnancy, and as I pointed out earlier, a small 51-47 majority believe abortion should be outright illegal beyond week 24.
And abortion beyond week 24 is almost unheard of.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:34 am

The only ones I have heard of after 24 weeks were in the case of stillborn or save the life of the mother. Both acceptable to me.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:36 am

And that's a fair point. So why is Trump's (alleged) 16-week ban all that controversial to the left? Only 5% of abortions happen after week 16. Under a 16-week ban, 95% of all abortions would remain legal. And in fact, this is far more favorable to the pro-choice crowd than the pro-life crowd as we now have near-total bans in 12 states. Comparably speaking, a 16-week ban would effectively re-legalize 19 of every 20 abortions that are now illegal in those states.

That the left would never get onboard with such a policy tells me everything -I- need to know about just how extreme their view really is.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:52 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:36 am
And that's a fair point. So why is Trump's (alleged) 16-week ban all that controversial to the left? Only 5% of abortions happen after week 16. Under a 16-week ban, 95% of all abortions would remain legal. And in fact, this is far more favorable to the pro-choice crowd than the pro-life crowd as we now have near-total bans in 12 states. Comparably speaking, a 16-week ban would effectively re-legalize 19 of every 20 abortions that are now illegal in those states.

That the left would never get onboard with such a policy tells me everything -I- need to know about just how extreme their view really is.

Because that other 5% are going to be the most fucked up cases that are gonna be illegal. The farther you get into it the more likely it’s for some other reason that inconvenience. So still birth, won’t survive long has horrifying defects… some of that can’t be found until after 16 weeks. Those that want options for emergencies will go nuts if you cut that off at 16 weeks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:57 am

So make it a 16-week ban with exceptions. You're then essentially legalizing 98-99 percent of all abortions.

I suspect that many pro-choice people would oppose even that.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:03 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:57 am
So make it a 16-week ban with exceptions. You're then essentially legalizing 98-99 percent of all abortions.

Mostly on principle. It’s not anyone else’s business on this liberals and libertarians are in agreement.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:14 pm

True libertarians believe in the harm principle, which I discussed in-depth above. The only way a libertarian could conclude that abortions should be legal 100 percent of the time is by also concluding that the rights of the unborn under no circumstance outweigh the rights of the mother. Which, if that's your conclusion, then fine. But to those people, I then pose the question of what is so special about the moment of birth that makes that anything other than an arbitrary moment? Babies are certainly viable before that moment, and as I noted earlier, don't begin developing memories for upwards of another 5 months. So if that unborn child is nothing more (legally speaking) than property of the mother while it is in the mother's body, why is it not still the property of the mother afterwards?
Last edited by bmw on Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:16 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:33 am
And to complicate the issue, why do some babies "earn" the protection from the state because the medical system intervened in the course of normal pregnancy via caesarean delivery, while others (similarly in their development stage) do not get those protections until after natural birth?
Uh, a C-section is a procedure that is elective, not a medical system intervention.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:30 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:14 pm
True libertarians believe in the harm principle, which I discussed in-depth above. The only way a libertarian could conclude that abortions should be legal 100 percent of the time is by also concluding that the rights of the unborn under no circumstance outweigh the rights of the mother. Which, if that's your conclusion, then fine. But to those people, I then pose the question of what is so special about the moment of birth that makes that anything other than an arbitrary moment? Babies are certainly viable before that moment, and as I noted earlier, don't begin developing memories for upwards of another 5 months. So if that unborn child is nothing more (legally speaking) than property of the mother while it is in the mother's body, why is it not still the property of the mother afterwards?
For the same reason the Bible says that you’re alive when you’re born… given the breath of life or whatever it is. Then the fetus becomes an individual entity known from then on as a baby. It’s not arbitrary. It’s a complete status change from being literally tethered to another being to being independent of that being.

As a biological matter the reason babies take 9 months or so to walk and are so helpless is because our heads (and the kid in general) are too big to pass through the birth canal after 9 months or so… so theoretically a full term baby is still premature compared to other mammals that stand up within a few hours of being born.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:57 am

Would you agree with a partial gun ban?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:31 pm

If you want to ban the 5% of weapons that are the most dangerous and keep the other 95% legal - sure, count me in.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:08 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:31 pm
If you want to ban the 5% of weapons that are the most dangerous and keep the other 95% legal - sure, count me in.
So assault rifles should be banded?

Here's what always cracks me up. You have these moral streaks, yet you support the most immorale President to hold office in a century.
― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic