Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

UPS delivers 12,000 job cuts to management months after historic deal for unionized drivers

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

UPS delivers 12,000 job cuts to management months after historic deal for unionized drivers

Post by audiophile » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:40 pm

Ouch! For every reaction, there is an opposite but equal reaction.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... r-BB1hvkVV

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: UPS delivers 12,000 job cuts to management months after historic deal for unionized drivers

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:17 am

And yet GM showed profits hand over fist...
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

zzand

Re: UPS delivers 12,000 job cuts to management months after historic deal for unionized drivers

Post by zzand » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:04 am

What do the profits for GM have to do with UPS?

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:09 am

zzand wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:04 am
What do the profits for GM have to do with UPS?
Must be a new business strategy. I was going to ask the same question. Maybe car parts?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:51 pm

Unions are good for Americans.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:06 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:51 pm
Unions are good for Americans.
Notice that none of the jobs cut were Union jobs.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:06 pm
Not yet ...

You of all people should know this dance has just started. First move lay off salary saying it's to cut cost. Next move is to move some union people into the office to do the same job the laid off salary was performing. Call them planners, expeditors, some ol' fancy name make 'em feel special..

Now the shop floor is short people. You know with the cost of the new contract they ain't hiring nobody no matter how behind those packages get. And now they got an excuse to say "Sorry union, your turn for layoffs .... unless you want to open up the contract".

It's all a dance.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:07 pm

Ding.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:28 pm

Round Six wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:56 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:06 pm
Not yet ...

You of all people should know this dance has just started. First move lay off salary saying it's to cut cost. Next move is to move some union people into the office to do the same job the laid off salary was performing. Call them planners, expeditors, some ol' fancy name make 'em feel special..

Now the shop floor is short people. You know with the cost of the new contract they ain't hiring nobody no matter how behind those packages get. And now they got an excuse to say "Sorry union, your turn for layoffs .... unless you want to open up the contract".

It's all a dance.
In my years of working for the Union, I had to do business with a lot of different. employers. Most of them were decent. One or two of them were stinkers. But not one of them ever tried anything like you just described.

Most collective agreements do not permit management to unilaterally remove workers from the bargaining unit against their will to a non-Union, salaried position.

If they can persude someone to give up the security of a bargaining unit job, with the offer of a fancy title, I don't have much sypathy for that guy.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:28 pm
Most collective agreements do not permit management to unilaterally remove workers from the bargaining unit against their will to a non-Union, salaried position.
You just showed once again how your union expertise is limited to places that only employ less than 50 or so people. Mac's Tool & Die. Metro Plastics. Etc.

Do me a favor. Drop a dime on your fellow SOAR buddies that are retired from a big integrated mill. Ask them about "cooperative partnership" and "planning" and "preventative maintenance teams". Hourly sitting in an air conditioning office doing work that salary used to do. And the good ol' USW endorse it all.
Last edited by Round Six on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:38 am

Round Six wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:56 pm

You just showed once again how your union expertise is limited to places that only employ less than 50 or so people. Mac's Tool & Die. Metro Plastics. Etc.

Do me a favor. Drop a dime on your fellow SOAR buddies that are retired from a big integrated mill. Ask them about "cooperative partnership" and "planning" and "preventative maintenance teams". Hourly sitting in an air conditioning office doing work that salary used to do. And the good ol' USW endorse it all.
You have no idea what you're talking about, you sniveling bag of rat hair.
Nothing wrong with hourly doing what salaried used to do. It's called expanding the scope of the bargaining unit. The larger bargaining units have more clout to get that. They still have the protection of their seniority.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:33 am

Round Six wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:56 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:28 pm

Are you some hapless patsy for large corporations?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:28 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:33 am
Are you some hapless patsy for large corporations?
Yup you've busted me. You figured it out.

I've never been a divisional grievenceman at the largest integrated steel mill in Michigan. I've never seen the company let a third of the bosses go on what we called Day of the Long Knives. And then turn around and give their jobs to hourly "bun boys", leaving the shop short handed.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. You got me. Busted.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:58 am

So, when UPS says "We don't have enough drivers, so we have to lay off more drivers." let me know.

You can even say "I told you so."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:22 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:58 am
So, when UPS says "We don't have enough drivers, so we have to lay off more drivers." let me know.

You can even say "I told you so."
Believe me… if they could drop 10 people and save $1.4 million doing it…. They gone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic