Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Is it possible we have entered a new Civil War

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: Is it possible we have entered a new Civil War

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:00 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:01 am
zzand wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:56 am
You give interesting thoughts but if most of their oil is exported then they have good income entering the state and Texans aren't quite as soft as you portray them. Having family that has lived there for generations I can atest to the fact they aren't big fans of the federal government and would be happy to be independent.
Yes but the shock to their economy would put them in a depression. We would need trade agreements with them. They would have to agree to a bunch of international conventions. We would need to do a zillion things to even interact with them. They would need to start a military from scratch. They would also need this on the international level to trade that oil. Breaking up is hard to do.
The only downside I can think of is losing Austin, James McMurtry and Fritos.

They would have a hard time being recognized by the UN.
Last edited by TC Talks on Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:01 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:36 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:18 am
Mark Nelson wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:49 am
Either way civil war is inevitable. This country is so divided racially and politically.
I'd say we've been in a cold civil war since the second Clinton term, with a small pause following 9/11.
I don't recall things getting too terrible until around 2002 or so. The late 90s was based on "he lied about a blow job! Get 'em!". The scorched earth policy of the 1994 "contract with America" certainly got the ball rolling.
The 90's economy seemed to be fairly decent and I think most Americans were happy. I made the most money during that decade more than any other. I think the biggest stories from that decade indeed were Bill Clinton and of course O.J. Simpson. Politics were not so much an issue.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:15 pm

Mark Nelson wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:01 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Mark Nelson wrote:
Either way civil war is inevitable. This country is so divided racially and politically.
I'd say we've been in a cold civil war since the second Clinton term, with a small pause following 9/11.
I don't recall things getting too terrible until around 2002 or so. The late 90s was based on "he lied about a blow job! Get 'em!". The scorched earth policy of the 1994 "contract with America" certainly got the ball rolling.
The 90's economy seemed to be fairly decent and I think most Americans were happy. I made the most money during that decade more than any other. I think the biggest stories from that decade indeed were Bill Clinton and of course O.J. Simpson. Politics were not so much an issue.
I can recall a news segment from 2000, asking people what they thought of Clinton. Most people liked him and thought he did a great job. There were some (who were genial) when they said they don't trust him across the room, but he did such a great job with the economy (be careful what you wish for) and they would still vote for him. No malice, no anger, no hate. He's a liar but he did great. You won't see that today. It wasn't as terribly "culture war-ish" back then. I grew up in the 90s and that's where I get my progressive ideals from. I thought we were really making headway. Boy was I fucking WRONG.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:38 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:15 pm
Mark Nelson wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Mark Nelson wrote:
I can recall a news segment from 2000, asking people what they thought of Clinton. Most people liked him and thought he did a great job. There were some (who were genial) when they said they don't trust him across the room, but he did such a great job with the economy (be careful what you wish for) and they would still vote for him. No malice, no anger, no hate. He's a liar but he did great. You won't see that today. It wasn't as terribly "culture war-ish" back then. I grew up in the 90s and that's where I get my progressive ideals from. I thought we were really making headway. Boy was I fucking WRONG.
Clinton was a good President despite his sexual escapades, can't very well blame him, he's married to Hillary. Actually, Bill Clinton was a great President.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:33 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mark Nelson wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Mark Nelson wrote:
The fall of the Soviet Union created a power vacuum similar to the 1950’s and made it another decade of peace and prosperity… we will get back there in about 20 years. It’s all cyclical.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:44 am

Texit would not be fun for them.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:03 am

I agree that Clinton was a good president and I crossed party lines to vote for him. It was a relatively peaceful time in this country. And like one other poster said and I made a lot of money during the Clinton years. I was reading an article yesterday from a legal scholar who said there will be some sort of confrontation between the Biden administration and Texas but what it is he is not sure.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 am

I find it fascinating that protecting the border is the line in the sand that the federal government (when controlled by Democrats) draws when it comes to enforcing the Constitution's supremacy clause. Obama sued Arizona over its immigration policies, now Biden has sued Texas I can't even figure out how many times.

Meanwhile, not a word from the feds about the thousands of illegal pot shops across the country.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:08 am

Maybe the Federal Government should try defending Texas against invasion per Article IV section 4 of the constitution and then the problem is solved.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:16 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 am
I find it fascinating that protecting the border is the line in the sand that the federal government (when controlled by Democrats) draws when it comes to enforcing the Constitution's supremacy clause. Obama sued Arizona over its immigration policies, now Biden has sued Texas I can't even figure out how many times.

Meanwhile, not a word from the feds about the thousands of illegal pot shops across the country.
Our tax dollars are hard at work lining the pockets of our dysfunctional government law makers. Both parties are guilty and the reason the United States is 34+ trillion dollars in debt, both sides are guilty of causing racial and political divided in this country. The 2024 budget is not yet even complete the law makers just keep kicking the can down the road . What is really sad is that “We the People” are the ones suffering the result of this dysfunctional chaos. Every time we turn around we are faced with a government shutdown. To the rest of the World a Government Shutdown =Dysfunctional Government. Now, the United States needs to protect our borders. We need to stop funding the Ukrainian and Israeli wars. We need to get rid of the $34 trillion deficit, bottom line we need to start taking care of ourselves before it’s to late.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:20 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Mark Nelson wrote:
It was kind of building with the Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas Supreme Court hearings of the late 80s and early 90s, and then the very polarizing O.J. Simpson trial in the mid-90s. Then the debate over the 2000 election.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:55 am

Seems to me the line has been drawn in the sand. The letter signed by almost if not all Republican governors backing Texas. At least one state has publicly offered to send it's National Guard to back up their troops and a guy I work with who is in the guard said they are working to get ready to go there too. Biden is going to have to sit down with Abbott and come to a compromise before this gets truly out of hand

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:05 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
I have similar memories, but Clinton's behavior did lead to an impeachment. The impressions you describe came after the impeachment didn't work out as well as the Republicans hoped, and "Clinton fatigue" set in with most people, who just wanted to move forward.

I also remember all the different opinions about him being amplified by the relatively new Internet, so I thing it's fair to say that the late 1990's was a turning point in public discourse. During the debate over the 2000 election, I remember the comment section blowing up in the News and Free Press with comments that violated all the standards that were supposedly in place.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:08 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 am

We clearly know which parts of the constitution Trump doesn't follow. I'd suggest this argument won't help your unwavering support.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:10 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:05 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
I have similar memories, but Clinton's behavior did lead to an impeachment. The impressions you describe came after the impeachment didn't work out as well as the Republicans hoped, and "Clinton fatigue" set in with most people, who just wanted to move forward.

I also remember all the different opinions about him being amplified by the relatively new Internet, so I thing it's fair to say that the late 1990's was a turning point in public discourse. During the debate over the 2000 election, I remember the comment section blowing up in the News and Free Press with comments that violated all the standards that were supposedly in place.
You raise an interesting point or two. First, it's probably "rose glasses syndrome". It was always there, you just weren't as exposed to it. Clinton fatigue is a great way to put it. The rise of numerous cable news channels back then didn't help, either. You became inundated. Yes, great things happened under Clinton (more so his second term; "irrational exuberance") but we have come to find out a lot of things about the Clintons. I thought he would be seen as one of the greats, but history is still out on that. It's like with Carter...he is and was a great man, but a terrible president.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic