Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stop me if you've heard this before: "Trump is unfit for office"

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Stop me if you've heard this before: "Trump is unfit for office"

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:11 pm

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trumps-37 ... 024-01-11/
"You have your own agenda. I understand that you can't listen for more than one minute," Trump told Engoron in court, as he denied wrongdoing and repeated claims of political persecution.

Trump's legal team and the office of New York Attorney General Letitia James delivered closing arguments in a case accusing him of inflating his net worth to dupe banks. Kevin Wallace, a lawyer from her office, said Trump's company issued false financial statements every year between 2011 and 2021.
This animal is acting like he's above the law when he is on trial. Can you imagine how empowered he will be if complete fucking morons put him back in office? His behavior is abhorrent.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Re: Stop me if you've heard this before: "Trump is unfit for office"

Post by Rate This » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:34 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:11 pm
https://www.reuters.com/legal/trumps-37 ... 024-01-11/
"You have your own agenda. I understand that you can't listen for more than one minute," Trump told Engoron in court, as he denied wrongdoing and repeated claims of political persecution.

Trump's legal team and the office of New York Attorney General Letitia James delivered closing arguments in a case accusing him of inflating his net worth to dupe banks. Kevin Wallace, a lawyer from her office, said Trump's company issued false financial statements every year between 2011 and 2021.
This animal is acting like he's above the law when he is on trial. Can you imagine how empowered he will be if complete fucking morons put him back in office? His behavior is abhorrent.
How did he not immediately get some sort of repercussion from the judge?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:11 am

I cannot stand Trump, but the civil case in New York is pretty much bullshit.

The "people of New York" have no legitimate cause of action against him.

If his lenders were screwed as the state seems to be alleging, then it is the lenders who should be suing, not the state. To the best of my knowledge, none of the allegedly aggrieved lenders have been called to testify as witnesses by the prosecution.

I'm not sure why the State of New York's Treasury should be enriched at the Trump Organization's expense to the tune of several hundred million dollars.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:11 am

If his lenders were screwed as the state seems to be alleging, then it is the lenders who should be suing, not the state.

I'm not sure why the State of New York's Treasury should be enriched at the Trump Organization's expense to the tune of several hundred million dollars.
If I’m not mistaken this has a tax element too. Not only that but the question of standing was passed a long time ago and the judge already ruled against him. This is just to decide the fine now.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:41 am

This trial isn't about that. It's about claims phony asset values were shown on financial statements to obtain preferential lending terms.

Weisselberg had a criminal trial for tax fraud, was found guilty, and ordered to serve five months in jail and pay $2 million in restitution.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:45 am

MWmetalhead wrote:

If his lenders were screwed as the state seems to be alleging, then it is the lenders who should be suing, not the state. To the best of my knowledge, none of the allegedly aggrieved lenders have been called to testify as witnesses by the prosecution.

The merit of the case is irrelevant. His behavior is abhorrent and a peak into a second Trump term would look like.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:49 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:41 am
This trial isn't about that. It's about claims phony asset values were shown on financial statements to obtain preferential lending terms.

Weisselberg had a criminal trial for tax fraud, was found guilty, and ordered to serve five months in jail and pay $2 million in restitution.
Right but some of those asset undervaluations were for tax purposes which while maybe not illegal gives New York some standing to sue him. I think the bar is quite a bit lower in a civil trial in relation to standing as well.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:57 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:41 am

So this crime should be pursued? Why have laws?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:13 am

This isn't a criminal case, it is a civil case.
Right but some of those asset undervaluations were for tax purposes which while maybe not illegal gives New York some standing to sue him. I think the bar is quite a bit lower in a civil trial in relation to standing as well.
Unrealized asset appreciation is not a taxable event. The taxable event only arises if & when the asset is sold.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:14 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:45 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

The merit of the case is irrelevant. His behavior is abhorrent and a peak into a second Trump term would look like.
I completely agree Trump is unfit for office, but that fact doesn't mean the State of New York has clean hands.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:15 am

Matt wrote:

The merit of the case is irrelevant.
WOW, just fucking WOW.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:21 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:15 am
Matt wrote:

WOW, just fucking WOW.
In terms of his behavior, it is irrelevant. I don't agree with the bullshit charge, but that's why you have lawyers. It doesn't give you a free pass to "act a fool."

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:36 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:21 am
Bryce wrote:
Matt wrote:

WOW, just fucking WOW.
In terms of his behavior, it is irrelevant. I don't agree with the bullshit charge, but that's why you have lawyers. It doesn't give you a free pass to "act a fool."
Just the fact that "the state" is even allowed to engage in a political persecution should be alarming to EVERYONE, like the man or not.

Coming from this woman, combined with the completely meritless suit, it's plain that this is an ideological and political prosecution pure and simple.

Castro and Stalin would be jealous.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:46 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:36 am
Matt wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:21 am
Bryce wrote:
Matt wrote:

WOW, just fucking WOW.
Just the fact that "the state" is even allowed to engage in a political persecution should be alarming to EVERYONE, like the man or not.

Coming from this woman, combined with the completely meritless suit, it's plain that this is an ideological and political prosecution pure and simple.

Castro and Stalin would be jealous.

You chose the word "woman", you know what I would have chosen...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:58 am

Ironically the real crook in the case is the State of New York trying to steal money from a citizen.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic