Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Colorado Boots Trump Off The Ballot

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: Colorado Boots Trump Off The Ballot

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:28 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:04 am
zzand wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:53 am
If you read what I posted I said he was not tried on any charges yet. As for insurrection at least one ruling, Colorado, said he is guilty of it. So do wit that what you will.
Being declared guilty by four people, without a trial or due process, is not the way our justice system works.
Why do you think Trump is trying to delay decisions until after the election? Does that seem like something you would do if not guilty?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:35 am

Whether or not you like it or agree with it that panel of judges did what it was supposed to do. It was a lower court judge who found Trump guilty of insurrection and the supreme Court we as asked if he should be on the ballot. They made their decision. Was it the right decision? I really don't know and it will be up to SCOTUS to decide. Matt does make a very valid point. If he is not guilty why delay, delay, delay? Get it over with and ride the wave of innocence into the White House.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:16 am

I would submit that running a campaign for president of the United States is rather time-consuming and requires a fair amount of focus. Having to deal with spurious politically motivated trials would interfere with that process considerably.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:42 am

His legal team can handle the nuts and bolts of his defense while his campaign staff and he handle the election process.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:10 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:16 am
I would submit that running a campaign for president of the United States is rather time-consuming and requires a fair amount of focus. Having to deal with spurious politically motivated trials would interfere with that process considerably.
He doesn’t study anything and wings everything. This requires no more of his time when a flight to whereever the trial is.

Did we mention this is all self inflicted?

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:11 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:16 am
Given his behavior after he lost, do you think Donald J. Trump is fit to hold office? One word answer: yes or no.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:28 pm

If Trump even attempted to act like an adult I may have a small, very small, amount of sympathy for him. Wouldn't vote for him again but might have a little sympathy. Instead he keeps up his insane stolen election, crooked election shit and name calls like a grade schooler. Sadly if polls are to be believed, and I have serious doubts about any poll, enough people still want this lunatic back in office that he may win. If that happens our only hope is Democrats take total control of Congress so he will be kept somewhat under control. Maybe the third impeachment will see him tossed from office once and for all

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:10 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:04 am
zzand wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:53 am
If you read what I posted I said he was not tried on any charges yet. As for insurrection at least one ruling, Colorado, said he is guilty of it. So do wit that what you will.
Being declared guilty by four people, without a trial or due process, is not the way our justice system works.
Really? That's exactly how the justice system works. Sometimes it's only one person.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:09 pm

Here are a few perspectives on how SCOTUS might act:
Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. will doubtless seek consensus or, at least, try to avoid a partisan split of the six Republican appointees against the three Democratic ones.

He may want to explore the many paths the court could take to keep Mr. Trump on state ballots without addressing whether he had engaged in insurrection or even assuming that he had.

Among them: The justices could rule that congressional action is needed before courts can intervene, that the constitutional provision at issue does not apply to the presidency or that Mr. Trump’s statements were protected by the First Amendment.

“I expect the court to take advantage of one of the many available routes to avoid holding that Trump is an insurrectionist who therefore can’t be president again,” said Nicholas Stephanopoulos, a law professor at Harvard.

Such an outcome would certainly be a stinging loss for Mr. Trump’s opponents, who say the case against him is airtight. But the Supreme Court would be attracted to what it would present as a modest ruling that allows Mr. Trump to remain on the ballot.

“This is a fraught political issue,” said Derek Muller, a law professor at the University of Notre Dame. “I think there will be an effort for the court to coalesce around a consensus position for a narrow, unanimous opinion. That probably means coalescing around a position where Trump stays on the ballot.”

If there is a consensus among legal experts, it is that the Supreme Court must act.

“For the sake of the country, we need resolution of this issue as soon as possible,” said Richard L. Hasen, a law professor at the University of California, Los Angeles. “Republican primary voters deserve to know if the candidate they are considering supporting is eligible to run. Otherwise they waste their votes on an ineligible candidate and raise the risk of the party nominating an ineligible candidate in the general election.”

Mr. Trump was disqualified in Colorado and Maine based on Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, which bars officials who have taken an oath to support the Constitution from holding office if they then engage in an insurrection.

Professor Stephanopoulos said those determinations were legally sound. But he added that he was “highly skeptical” that the Supreme Court, which has a six-justice conservative supermajority, would agree.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:24 am

9-0 Ruling that he stays on the ballot unless congress acts as it is not self executing.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:41 am

I suspected it would be 9-0
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:46 am

NO one should be shocked at the ruling. You could tell from the questions during arguments that none of the justices would vote in favor of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:35 pm

When even Justices Sotomayor and Jackson agree that something done to Trump is bullshit, you know it is utter bullshit.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:18 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:35 pm
When even Justices Sotomayor and Jackson agree that something done to Trump is bullshit, you know it is utter bullshit.
The victimhood for those of you in the #AlwaysTrump camp is strong.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:20 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:18 pm
bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:35 pm
The victimhood for those of you in the #AlwaysTrump camp is strong.
What part of even-the-most-liberal-justices-on-the-court agree that states cannot do what they did is it that you're having trouble comprehending? This has nothing to do with "victimhood" and everything to do with Constitutional rights.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic