Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Tax the rich

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Tax the rich

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:57 pm

Who here feels the need to help out the rich? We are waiting on a major ruling...
Last week, the wealthiest Americans had their day in court. The case before the Supreme Court, Moore v. United States, is a challenge to an obscure and narrow provision of the tax code, in Donald Trump’s Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, that taxes certain assets held abroad.

An activist lower court judge, most likely inspired by right-wing constitutional scholars and think tanks, cleverly framed Moore as a grand occasion to rule against some future wealth tax, and the high court took it up.

Supporters of the Moore litigation probably hope to persuade conservatives on the court to issue a broad ruling that would declare unconstitutional any attempt to enact a tax on wealth (like proposals that Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and others have floated).

The argument for why a tax on wealth would be unconstitutional is both premature and exceptionally weak. And indeed, the consensus after oral arguments last week was that a majority of justices — but certainly not all — were skeptical of a sweeping ruling.

Still, something like this argument prevailed with a similarly conservative Supreme Court once before, long ago — only to be repudiated decisively by the American people through a constitutional amendment.

The question now is whether the conservative justices will practice the originalism they preach and listen to the framers and ratifiers of the 16th Amendment or whether instead, like the Supreme Court over a century ago, they will be moved by political sympathy for the wealthy to reach out and rule in their favor.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Re: Tax the rich

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:39 pm

But TC, if I work really, really, REALLY hard and kiss enough ass, maybe I'll get to be in the club someday. I'm not taking that chance. Job creators! If the wealthy can't afford another dual-motor off-shore racing yacht, then why bother?

It's gonna start trickling down any minute now...aaaaaaany minute now...
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Re: Tax the rich

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:13 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:39 pm
But TC, if I work really, really, REALLY hard and kiss enough ass, maybe I'll get to be in the club someday. I'm not taking that chance. Job creators! If the wealthy can't afford another dual-motor off-shore racing yacht, then why bother?

It's gonna start trickling down any minute now...aaaaaaany minute now...
As any Trump supporter will tell you, Trump us a self made man. Disregard the 300,000,000 he inherited from dad.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic