Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nikki Haley to Shutdown Buzzboard

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Nikki Haley to Shutdown Buzzboard

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:41 am

She didn't say that exactly, but I'm pretty sure MW doesn't want to verify every user on this board.

That's what she wants to do as president on day one.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA1jYXWX

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Round Six

Re: Nikki Haley to Shutdown Buzzboard

Post by Round Six » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:26 am

I dunno. I always look at Buzzboard, Twitter, Facebook etc., as bar talk. Just seems some folks take this stuff way too seriously.

Part of the problem is one lone person post a critique on Twitter Twat and others say "Look how THEY feel". The Black Santa thread that just started here yesterday is a good example.

Maybe the problem isn't social media. It's mainstream media making a mountain out of a molehill.

Will I have to start wearing a name tag when I'm dogging some elected official while standing in line at Kroger?
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:42 am

Maybe we should call it "downstream" media for all krap they call news.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:02 am

It is apparent from her answer that she was referring to websites that allow bot posting or use algorithms to determine what content gets "pushed" to users.

That being said, I am not pleased with her comments. Mr. York is correct in his op-ed that her primary opponents are likely to use her ill-advised remarks against her in upcoming debates. It sounds like she wants to give the federal government the ability to regulate opinion or "news" that comes from sources viewed as unacceptable, especially if such sources are located outside the U.S. That is a slippery and dangerous slope, in my opinion.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:04 am

Maybe the problem isn't social media. It's mainstream media making a mountain out of a molehill.
The mainstream media like to propagate, and in some cases manufacture, controversy, They are definitely a big part of the problem.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:28 am

The second thing is every person on social media should be verified by their name...you're gonna get some civility when people know their name is next to what they say, when they know their pastor, their family members are going to see it. It's going to help our kids, and it's going to help our country."
I've heard a similar campaign idea before....

In all seriousness, the entirety of her comment really does border on being Orwellian in nature. Because if you require a private entity to provide to the government its "algorithms" (ie, the computer code behind how they publish what they publish and in what order) and also require people to provide their own name to say anything online, the slippery slope implications of that kind of federal power are far-reaching and lead to a place where the federal government knows every word, who uttered it, and the way in which private companies promote or demote such comments.

In fairness to Haley, I don't think that was her intent, but this is what happens when politicians go after something they don't like (in Haley's case - social media). They try to grant regulation power to the government that it doesn't have, consequences be damned.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:36 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:28 am
The second thing is every person on social media should be verified by their name...you're gonna get some civility when people know their name is next to what they say, when they know their pastor, their family members are going to see it. It's going to help our kids, and it's going to help our country."
I've heard a similar campaign idea before....

In all seriousness, the entirety of her comment really does border on being Orwellian in nature. Because if you require a private entity to provide to the government its "algorithms" (ie, the computer code behind how they publish what they publish and in what order) and also require people to provide their own name to say anything online, the slippery slope implications of that kind of federal power are far-reaching and lead to a place where the federal government knows every word, who uttered it, and the way in which private companies promote or demote such comments.

In fairness to Haley, I don't think that was her intent, but this is what happens when politicians go after something they don't like (in Haley's case - social media). They try to grant regulation power to the government that it doesn't have, consequences be damned.
She isn’t wrong about the result though… the internet would get cleaned up right quick if you had to have your name to it… would we have our every few weeks troll if it had to have a verified name attached to it?

Even I’ve toyed with this idea in my head from time to time.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:49 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:36 am
the internet would get cleaned up right quick if you had to have your name to it…
Would it though? Even if every person in this forum had their real name instead of their username displayed, would posting behavior really change much? I suppose to the extent your family or employer could run a google search and find your postings it might, but even then, such an idea would unfairly affect people with uncommon names. For example, I graduated with a John Smith. You could pretty much retain anonymity online with a name like that. But less common names?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:07 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:49 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:36 am
the internet would get cleaned up right quick if you had to have your name to it…
Would it though? Even if every person in this forum had their real name instead of their username displayed, would posting behavior really change much? I suppose to the extent your family or employer could run a google search and find your postings it might, but even then, such an idea would unfairly affect people with uncommon names. For example, I graduated with a John Smith. You could pretty much retain anonymity online with a name like that. But less common names?
Ok… click on a profile and get an address and phone number and because it’s universal you can’t fake it. Oh and no more no step on snek… gotta have a picture of yourself. Don’t want to do this? You’re not on the internet then.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:29 am

She isn’t wrong about the result though… the internet would get cleaned up right quick if you had to have your name to it… would we have our every few weeks troll if it had to have a verified name attached to it?
Such a federal law would be a clear violation of the 1st Amendment.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:35 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:29 am
I don't want you to get in any trouble MW - if pressed on the matter, my real name is Turd Ferguson.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:39 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Of course it would. But I’m speaking hypothetically. I am not saying this is happening.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:24 am

If people acting like jackanapes online burns her biscuits so bad that she wants federal law to out the people who hurt her feelings, then she has no business getting close to the presidency. And here I thought she was one of the sane ones!

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:31 pm

Slightly related, Omegle has been taken offline. Aside from the hundreds of penises you would see in each session, Omegle was a good place to find random conversation with people with niche interests or to locate a stranger to bullshit with until one of you got bored with it. The internet that Nikki Haley wants is probably going to come over time and all people will remember of the internet we enjoy is that there was a lot of child exploitation happening and that people were able to harass one another anonymously.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:16 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:35 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
I don't want you to get in any trouble MW - if pressed on the matter, my real name is Turd Ferguson.
“Yeah, that’s right. Turd Ferguson. It’s a funny name.”

RIP Norm Macdonald

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic