Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

SCOTUS puts conservatives in a corner again.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: SCOTUS puts conservatives in a corner again.

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:41 am

We have more rulings today.

In a 6-3 decision, the Court found that a Christian business owner in Colorado can refuse to create same-sex marriage websites.

And while we don't yet have one on student loan forgiveness, OH...SCRATCH THAT, JUST IN....Biden's loan forgiveness is TOAST.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:43 am

Yup. 6 to 3 ruling.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:47 am

So this begs the political question - for students who were looking to have their debt forgiven, will they blame Biden for making a promise he couldn't keep, or will they blame conservatives for "taking away" what the President had already given them?

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:58 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:47 am
So this begs the political question - for students who were looking to have their debt forgiven, will they blame Biden for making a promise he couldn't keep, or will they blame conservatives for "taking away" what the President had already given them?
They won't blame Biden...
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:11 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:58 am
Any logical-thinking student should though. Blaming the Court would be like if someone told you they were going to rob a bank and give you $20,000 for doing nothing, and then that person got busted, and you blamed the cops for your lack of newly found money.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:12 am

I hope lgbt businesses fire anyone who wears a cross at work or has discussed that they are Christians.

These rulings cuts both ways.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:13 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:11 am
Matt wrote:
Any logical-thinking student should though. Blaming the Court would be like if someone told you they were going to rob a bank and give you $20,000 for doing nothing, and then that person got busted, and you blamed the cops for your lack of newly found money.
BMW logic isn't the same as someone with a proper education.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:20 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:11 am
Matt wrote:
WOW! This is really stretching it, pal. The administration thought it was doing the right thing, and three out of the nine "cops" agreed. You can say whatever you want, but the court, and by proxy those that appointed them, will take the brunt of this fury.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:20 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:12 am
I hope lgbt businesses fire anyone who wears a cross at work or has discussed that they are Christians.
WTF are you talking about? This ruling does nothing to overturn the portion of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act that deals with religious protections. Did you miss yesterday's unanimous 9-0 ruling that actually RAISED the bar on what an employer must to in order to meet one's religious accommodations?

That might be the dumbest thing you've ever typed in these forums.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:22 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:20 am
The administration thought it was doing the right thing...
That's an unfounded assumption on your part.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:27 am

TC Talks wrote:

How does having the right to decline work equate to firing an employee because of their religious affiliation?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:42 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:27 am
TC Talks wrote:

How does having the right to decline work equate to firing an employee because of their religious affiliation?
This ruling suggests that being gay is a choice not assigned at birth. It also says the first amendment doesn't protect these things. Businesses can't fire someone for being Asian or Female, but being born gay no longer gets the same protection?

Fine, then let's open it up so that I can fire you for any lifestyle choice. I'd immediately fire Evangelicals and Conservative (rapey) Catholics clients, and if sued, use this ruling to defend my business decision.

It's a double standard.
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:48 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:42 am
Businesses can't fire someone for being Asian or Female, but being born gay no longer gets the same protection?
I must have missed the part of the ruling that says you can fire somebody for being gay.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:59 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:42 am
Graham Wellington wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:27 am
TC Talks wrote:

This ruling suggests that being gay is a choice not assigned at birth. It also says the first amendment doesn't protect these things. Businesses can't fire someone for being Asian or Female, but being born gay no longer gets the same protection?

Fine, then let's open it up so that I can fire you for any lifestyle choice. I'd immediately fire Evangelicals and Conservative (rapey) Catholics clients, and if sued, use this ruling to defend my business decision.

It's a double standard.
Go ahead and "fire" those clients then. If you don't want to work with them, you have that right. Does that really seem unreasonable?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:19 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:22 am
FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:20 am
The administration thought it was doing the right thing...
That's an unfounded assumption on your part.
This one’s easy. Biden gave them something they wanted and the Conservative court took it away. They aren’t gonna blame the guy who tried to bail them out. This was no lose for Biden.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic