Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

67 mass shootings as of Valentine's Day

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: There have been nearly 40 mass shootings so far this month

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:37 pm

My thoughts are with the victims of the senseless acts occuring at MSU - may the nightmare all those people are experiencing right now end quickly without any further casualties.

You know what? Fuck gun culture.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:40 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:37 pm
My thoughts are with the victims of the senseless acts occuring at MSU - may the nightmare all those people are experiencing right now end quickly without any further casualties.

Well said.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:49 pm

Matt wrote:

Other places seem to function fine without it.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:53 pm

Jesus H. Christ. I guess all we have to offer is thoughts and prayers. Goddamn shame.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:28 am

3 Dead, 5 wounded. Suspect shot and killed himself.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:05 am

Very sad. One of my friends is a graduate student there, and he is okay. I am thankful. He left his class at 8 PM. Life is short. He was too shook up to respond to me until 11 because he is not sure whether his professor is/was safe. Don’t know all the details yet. Pray for MSU. My friend just started in the program in January. We are all Spartans.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 67 mass shootings as of Valentine's Day

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:38 am

Not the news I wanted to hear first thing this morning; this is truly awful.

I was not watching any news programming last evening, so when I went to bed last night, I had no idea any of this had happened.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:45 am

Matt wrote:
know what? Fuck gun culture.
My thoughts are "Fuck Gun Free Zones." People keep getting killed in them.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:46 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:45 am
Matt wrote:
know what? Fuck gun culture.
My thoughts are "Fuck Gun Free Zones." People keep getting killed in them.
What is killing people? Xylophones?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:38 am

Bryce is right. My first thought when I hear stories like this (tragic) one is how terrifying it is for everyone and how helpless everyone is to defend themselves. 4+ hours hiding in the dark for many. They were all helpless.

Matt is half right. It is a problem with our culture, but not "gun" culture. Today's culture is one of smart phones and social media. THIS is what "gun culture" looks like - a few pages from a 1967 Sears catalog:

Look at the kid in the lower-left - "ready for any type of combat."

Gun culture is nothing new, and was arguably far more pervasive 50+ years ago. Yet it is the last 30 years, in particular the last 15, when school shootings have skyrocketed by orders of magnitude - and mostly committed by people who weren't yet born in a time when gun culture was as pervasive.

As an aside - has anybody here ever once seen an ad on social media - namely, facebook, twitter, or even youtube - for a gun? I can't think of a single time I have. If social media had existed 75 years ago, guns would probably be the top-advertised item on those platforms.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:52 am

Where were all the highly trained civilians to save the day?

They never seem to show up. Even the cops often run away.

You're beliefs are largely unproven.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:04 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:38 am
Bryce is right. My first thought when I hear stories like this (tragic) one is how terrifying it is for everyone and how helpless everyone is to defend themselves. 4+ hours hiding in the dark for many. They were all helpless.

Matt is half right. It is a problem with our culture, but not "gun" culture. Today's culture is one of smart phones and social media. THIS is what "gun culture" looks like - a few pages from a 1967 Sears catalog:

Look at the kid in the lower-left - "ready for any type of combat."

Gun culture is nothing new, and was arguably far more pervasive 50+ years ago. Yet it is the last 30 years, in particular the last 15, when school shootings have skyrocketed by orders of magnitude - and mostly committed by people who weren't yet born in a time when gun culture was as pervasive.

As an aside - has anybody here ever once seen an ad on social media - namely, facebook, twitter, or even youtube - for a gun? I can't think of a single time I have. If social media had existed 75 years ago, guns would probably be the top-advertised item on those platforms.
Guns are FAR more common now than they were then. Open carry wasn’t a thing. Can you explain why places without a gun culture are still doing fine? Europe isn’t enslaved by its government… the people aren’t dying in the streets… there’s no “if only we had guns here” going around…

Next time I hear someone say “we need guns to prevent the government from running amok” I’m gonna break their nose. It’s the biggest lie ever told. This idea that if only we had MORE guns this wouldn’t happen is an attempt by gun makers to… wait for it… sell more guns.

There will come a time fairly soon… next 20 to 30 years will you will see major movement on this. Baby Boomers are dying now and Gen X isn’t far behind. This country will be quite a different place indeed on a whole host of subjects including this one.
Last edited by Rate This on Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:06 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:52 am

Actually, the highly trained civilians do show up to save the day. FREQUENTLY. Very frequently. They just rarely get the media coverage they deserve.

And the cops "often" run away? Now there's some misinformation if ever I saw it. Beyond one glaring, high-profile example in recent times, the vast majority of cops put their lives on the line every day to protect others. Pretty sure cops responded to the MSU shooting. Go take your LL101-level anti-cop BS somewhere else.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:10 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:06 am
TC Talks wrote:

Actually, the highly trained civilians do show up to save the day. FREQUENTLY. Very frequently. They just rarely get the media coverage they deserve.

And the cops "often" run away? Now there's some misinformation if ever I saw it. Beyond one glaring, high-profile example in recent times, the vast majority of cops put their lives on the line every day to protect others. Pretty sure cops responded to the MSU shooting. Go take your LL101-level anti-cop BS somewhere else.
Actually a lot of the time the folks doing the disarming are UNARMED. Rarely does anybody happen to be carrying a gun in the right spot where a shooting is taking place.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:19 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:06 am
TC Talks wrote:

Present your proof or shut up about this nonsense. It's bullshit.

On the otherhand, cops running away is well documented.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic