Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

67 mass shootings as of Valentine's Day

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: 67 mass shootings as of Valentine's Day

Post by Bryce » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:15 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:49 pm
Bryce wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:37 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:48 pm

Mass shootings are overwhelmingly committed by white males. You're losing focus.
Are those the only shootings and murders you care about?
In this discussion? Absolutely

Go start your own discussion about the relationship between poverty and violence some place else.
It's pertinent here. THIS mass shooting couldn't have taken place if the person who carried it out was in prison serving a five year felony.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:22 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:15 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:49 pm
Bryce wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:37 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:48 pm

Mass shootings are overwhelmingly committed by white males. You're losing focus.
Are those the only shootings and murders you care about?
In this discussion? Absolutely

Go start your own discussion about the relationship between poverty and violence some place else.
It's pertinent here. THIS mass shooting couldn't have taken place if the person who carried it out was in prison serving a five year felony.
But apparently he (or she) doesn't care about this one, because it's not one of the "Mass shootings committed by white males."

Wonder what our State's AG thinks about the local prosecutor's decision to dismiss the felony charge on this gem? Right call? Wrong call? What do you think she'd have said about it BEFORE this event?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:32 pm

I have 76 cents and a half can of warm Red Bull that says if this DA or AG filed those charges, it would have been:.

A. A left wing librul is coming down too hard and making an example of this gun owner

B. Well it's an election cycle, what did you expect?

C. That's not fair! It's his God given right! He needs to petition to get his gun rights back!

This warm Red Bull tastes like shit. I'm gonna grab a new one.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:50 pm

:rollin :rollin :rollin
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:32 pm
I have 76 cents and a half can of warm Red Bull that says if this DA or AG filed those charges, it would have been:.

A. A left wing librul is coming down too hard and making an example of this gun owner

C. That's not fair! It's his God given right! He needs to petition to get his gun rights back!

While I support legal gun ownership, I DO NOT condone illegal possession or use thereof. We have laws. Enforce them before you make new ones.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:59 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:50 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:32 pm

While I support legal (white man) gun ownership, I DO NOT condone illegal (or black man) possession or use thereof. We have laws. Enforce them before you make new ones.
Fixed it for you
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:36 pm

This from a user on another board.

What an absolute tragedy. Three young lives snuffed out by someone likely afflicted with severe mental illness.

I know the MSU administration will look at how to limit access while still maintaining an open university feel. That thoughtful analysis needs to happen and the lessons learned and implemented should be considered by other colleges.

I had the (dis)pleasure of hearing Rep. Slotkin on WJR today. As is typical there is a kneejerk to just 'do something' without consideration if that will help the problem.

I'm not sure what legislative remedies might address the MSU incident. As I understand it, what the misinformed media refers to as an 'assault rifle' wasn't utilized and there was nothing that could've been considered a 'red flag' previously with this individual. That may change as more information becomes available. Either way, bad legislative action is far worse than no legislative action.

Comments I've seen elsewhere are so laughable, they are sad. When former frat boys who barely graduated with a C average and never served a day in the police or military feel that they are empowered to state 'F--- gun culture' you just know there is a lot of failure with that generation.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/miradio ... t3101.html
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:00 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:36 pm

What an absolute tragedy. Three young lives snuffed out by someone likely afflicted with severe mental illness.

I know the MSU administration will look at how to limit access while still maintaining an open university feel. That thoughtful analysis needs to happen and the lessons learned and implemented should be considered by other colleges.

I had the (dis)pleasure of hearing Rep. Slotkin on WJR today. As is typical there is a kneejerk to just 'do something' without consideration if that will help the problem.

I'm not sure what legislative remedies might address the MSU incident. As I understand it, what the misinformed media refers to as an 'assault rifle' wasn't utilized and there was nothing that could've been considered a 'red flag' previously with this individual. That may change as more information becomes available. Either way, bad legislative action is far worse than no legislative action.

Comments I've seen elsewhere are so laughable, they are sad. When former frat boys who barely graduated with a C average and never served a day in the police or military feel that they are empowered to state 'F--- gun culture' you just know there is a lot of failure with that generation.
So first WWJ anchors come after me... then the owner of another board goes after Matt? We are really making it big...

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:51 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:00 am
Turkeytop wrote:

So first WWJ anchors come after me... then the owner of another board goes after Matt? We are really making it big...
:lol :lol :lol

EDIT: Holy fuck! The board is run by disgraced former poster Wolverine70!
Last edited by Matt on Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:45 am

Turkeytop wrote:

Whoever posted that hits on some very good points, especially the paragraph with Slotkin. All these politicians really love these tragic events because it gives them a podium, a platform and air time. Obviously they won't admit that, but just look at the ones who flock to the stage immediately when these events happen and you have your own answer.

I think he was a bit mislead on the "red flag" issue, because there are usually big red flags on the perp when these things happen. On this guy? One "big red flag" should have been that he was 43 and still living with his mom or his dad. Couldn't (or wouldn't) make it on his own, perhaps because he never grew up with that expectation. That applies to a LOT of "kids" these days. It was reported his DAD even tried to get him to give up his guns. How about this proposal for a "red flag" law.... if you can't survive on your own in this world, then your parents still have a say in your life choices, including whether or not you can own any weapons, regardless of your age. His dad should have been able to make that request.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:08 am

km1125 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:45 am
How about this proposal for a "red flag" law.... if you can't survive on your own in this world, then your parents still have a say in your life choices, including whether or not you can own any weapons, regardless of your age. His dad should have been able to make that request.
You don't need a law for that. If you're a homeowner, you get to set the rules of the household. However, those rules only apply on the premises (at least for adults, anyways). And if your 40-year-old "child" disobeys those rules, you can simply post an eviction notice.

And btw, your logic would apply to anybody who requires government assistance to survive, and I wouldn't support the idea that the government should have a say in your "life choices." It would also apply to elderly people who come back home to live with their children.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:13 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:08 am
km1125 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:45 am
How about this proposal for a "red flag" law.... if you can't survive on your own in this world, then your parents still have a say in your life choices, including whether or not you can own any weapons, regardless of your age. His dad should have been able to make that request.
You don't need a law for that. If you're a homeowner, you get to set the rules of the household. However, those rules only apply on the premises (at least for adults, anyways). And if your 40-year-old "child" disobeys those rules, you can simply post an eviction notice.

And btw, your logic would apply to anybody who requires government assistance to survive, and I wouldn't support the idea that the government should have a say in your "life choices." It would also apply to elderly people who come back home to live with their children.
No, I didn't mean that the "person supporting you" gets the say, I'm saying the PARENTS. If you're living off others (or even the government) for your existence, then your PARENTS (either biologic or adopted) still have a say, perhaps as a "de facto Power of Attorney" since you never really became an adult in function.

Parents should have an OBLIGATION to raise kids into adults that can function as adults once they become "of age" (whatever we determine that to be), before releasing them upon society. The first step we can take is giving them the OPTION of still having legal control over their spawn if said spawn still can't function independently.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:01 pm

You're not thinking this through very well. Does this apply to married couples where one spouse is dependent on the other? Does the dependent spouse's parents have input?

And I'm sorry, but the day you turn 18 is the day your parents are off the hook for your behavior thereafter. You are responsible for your own behavior as an adult, I don't care how poor your upbringing was.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:59 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:01 pm
You're not thinking this through very well. Does this apply to married couples where one spouse is dependent on the other? Does the dependent spouse's parents have input?

And I'm sorry, but the day you turn 18 is the day your parents are off the hook for your behavior thereafter. You are responsible for your own behavior as an adult, I don't care how poor your upbringing was.
To your first couple questions, NO, not unless that spouse or those in-laws actually were the biologic or adopted parents of the person. I guess in some parts of the country, that might be possible though. :o

Until we admit that there's an issue with the raising of kids we're not going to make ANY progress on this issue. The parents ABSOLUTELY should be responsible for kids from the point they're born until they become "productive" members of society. We an argue about where that point is, because it's still a h-u-g-e issue currently trying to figure out if that's at 16, at 18, or at 21.

We can talk all we want about the "evil guns" and "mental health", but until we actually start admitting and doing something about the developmental process of humans in our society we're not going to inch anywhere towards a real solution. In the past, if you couldn't 'fend for yourself' then you just ceased to exist and didn't become a burden on anyone else. Now, with all the "safeguards" and "safety nets", those folks who can't 'fend for themselves" are coddled and become dependent on others, mostly with the full 'support' and encouragement from the various government entities.

And if you read my post, I'm not advocating initially to make the parent's RESPONSIBLE for their spawns adult life, only that they be given the legal authority to continue to "parent" those folks until they establish themselves. Think of it as more of conservatorship. Some parent's might never want or opt to do this, but if they harbored any love for the kids they brought into this world they might just want to give it a shot.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:19 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:01 pm
This might be one of the most on point comments I've ever seen on the internet.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:54 pm

This opinion and proposal doesn't make sense to me and cannot be universally applied.

What if one or both of your parents are dead? Is a dangerous person now free to get a gun without the potential interference received by someone whose parents are still alive?

What if the two parents don't agree on your ability to get a gun?

What if your parents really are crazy and more dangerous than you? Do they have a say in your gun rights?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic