Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Just curious if there are still climate change deniers among us

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Just curious if there are still climate change deniers among us

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:44 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:33 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:17 pm
Bryce wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:09 pm
Tweet

Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN
The earth just broke the record for the hottest day in 120,000 years. In fact, we broke in on three separate days.
Then you wonder why there are skeptics. What a bunch of tripe from a leftist elected official. Does she expect anyone to believe that someone was keeping track of the daily temperature 20,000 years ago?
Fossils found in glaciers, coral reefs, oceans, etc. give us this information. Do you think dinosaurs were imaginary? I know you're a skeptical about such things, but it is called "science".
Yeah, and covid came from bats in a wet market, masks stopped the spread and the vaccine kept you from contracting. That was all science at one time too. The things you mention are merely conjecture of what temperatures MIGHT have been.

I'll give you this though. It's warmer today that it was during the Ice Age. Thank goodness for climate change.
The wet market theory is still the prevailing one. Through fossils, tree rings and other data they are able to get an idea of the general temperatures over a period of time. We can see that those were lower overall than they are now. Nobody is saying on July 19th 21,529 B.C. It was 65 and sunny and that was normal in Your locale.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:40 pm

We have NO IDEA what the exact temperatures were on any given day, week or month going back thousands of years. We have an idea of the RANGE of AVERAGE temperatures and that accuracy deteriorates the farther back you go.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:08 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:44 pm
Bryce wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Tweet

Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN
The earth just broke the record for the hottest day in 120,000 years. In fact, we broke in on three separate days.
Then you wonder why there are skeptics. What a bunch of tripe from a leftist elected official. Does she expect anyone to believe that someone was keeping track of the daily temperature 20,000 years ago?
Fossils found in glaciers, coral reefs, oceans, etc. give us this information. Do you think dinosaurs were imaginary? I know you're a skeptical about such things, but it is called "science".
Yeah, and covid came from bats in a wet market, masks stopped the spread and the vaccine kept you from contracting. That was all science at one time too. The things you mention are merely conjecture of what temperatures MIGHT have been.

I'll give you this though. It's warmer today that it was during the Ice Age. Thank goodness for climate change.
The wet market theory is still the prevailing one. Through fossils, tree rings and other data they are able to get an idea of the general temperatures over a period of time. We can see that those were lower overall than they are now. Nobody is saying on July 19th 21,529 B.C. It was 65 and sunny and that was normal in Your locale.
This guy is the biggest mark for the democrat party. He'd support Bernie Sanders if he was the standard bearer.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:20 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:08 pm
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Tweet

Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN

This guy is the biggest mark for the democrat party. He'd support Bernie Sanders if he was the standard bearer.
Actually no…. I would not support Bernie. I am not a progressive.

I do happen to understand how carbon dating and tree rings work.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:23 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:40 pm
We have NO IDEA what the exact temperatures were on any given day, week or month going back thousands of years. We have an idea of the RANGE of AVERAGE temperatures and that accuracy deteriorates the farther back you go.
Tree rings say a lot about the conditions at the time the tree was alive. We can even… gasp!.. compare a modern tree with an ancient one and see how often it was way warm in that ancient tree’s life compared to the modern one where we have data and know exactly what the temperatures did to the tree.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:25 am

We’re going on 19 days in a row of 110 degrees for the high in Phoenix which will break the record later today. Another 10 days expected. Yet, Beemer still doesn’t see this as a top news story.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:28 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:23 pm
km1125 wrote:
Tree rings say a lot about the conditions at the time the tree was alive. We can even… gasp!.. compare a modern tree with an ancient one and see how often it was way warm in that ancient tree’s life compared to the modern one where we have data and know exactly what the temperatures did to the tree.
That tree ring data is A YEAR of growth, and cannot be used for variation in temperatures over individual weeks in any given year. Growth is a combination of factors including water and CO2 and they each have uncertainties that affect the other two. The actual amount of sunlight that varies due to overcast or clear conditions also affects growth and that cannot be ascertained to the degree necessary to isolate the temperature-only impact on growth. You absolutely cannot determine exact temperatures using that data. ONLY ranges, and those are just educated guesses.

To use that data in comparison with actual measurements is ludicrous, but yet some people still do it. So much for "science"!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:37 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:20 pm
Matt wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Tweet

Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN

I was referencing your wet market nonsense. 🦜
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:47 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:28 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:23 pm
km1125 wrote:
That tree ring data is A YEAR of growth, and cannot be used for variation in temperatures over individual weeks in any given year. Growth is a combination of factors including water and CO2 and they each have uncertainties that affect the other two. The actual amount of sunlight that varies due to overcast or clear conditions also affects growth and that cannot be ascertained to the degree necessary to isolate the temperature-only impact on growth. You absolutely cannot determine exact temperatures using that data. ONLY ranges, and those are just educated guesses.

To use that data in comparison with actual measurements is ludicrous, but yet some people still do it. So much for "science"!!
I’m talking about on a yearly basis. I even specifically stated you cannot get individual data from tree rings. But you can look at the patterns we have records of (1875 or so the the present) and compare those tree rings to ancient tree rings and get an idea of the general climate patterns.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:48 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:37 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:20 pm
Matt wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Tweet

Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN

I was referencing your wet market nonsense. 🦜
Well… the data keeps coming back with a natural origin conclusion and they did it again recently. Sorry about your luck.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:51 pm

The coral reefs off the Florida coast are now bleached. The water in the south Florida area is in the low 90s!
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:50 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:51 pm
The coral reefs off the Florida coast are now bleached.
So is Bryce's asshole. What's your point?
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:50 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:50 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:51 pm
The coral reefs off the Florida coast are now bleached.
So is Bryce's asshole. What's your point?
And by Bryce's asshole, I don't mean G G.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:40 pm

Well this is fascinating - turns out that sea level may have actually been HIGHER than it is today just 6,000 years ago.
Climate researchers thought that current sea levels were the highest in more than 100,000 years, but new models suggest oceans were higher during the Holocene than they are today. The oceans may have been higher than they are now between 4000 and 8000 years ago.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/23 ... ntent=news

Taco

Post by Taco » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:51 am

I don't deny the climate is changing but I believe it's a natural Earth process. I'm certain it would be changing even if we weren't here or industrialized. Fear is a powerful tool which in turn leads to money and power and control.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic