Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

“Don’t Say Gay”

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 9015

Re: “Don’t Say Gay”

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:58 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:53 am
Neckbeard wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:00 pm
....I frankly think the problem with Facebook boils down to the users, not the company. The company does do unethical things like manipulating what people see and such, but the fact of the matter is that no one needs fucking facebook .... People should NOT NOT NOT be using Facebook as a source of information for anything ...
The draw of Facebook is people DO need it now.

It has become the best place to find a job. FB Marketplace is the best place to find things to buy. Way too many businesses are now using FB as their sole website.

And too many people that have FB on their phone think everyone else does too. I myself have missed two or three funerals thru the years because the family has forgot how to call around, and thinks everyone will know about it if they post it on FB.
If Facebook is the best place for you to find a job and things to buy then I am surprised you can even afford a cell phone. Facebook is where you go to have a giggle at weirdos who are willing to be too open with things that they should keep private. They have groups where people actually join to talk about their babyfur fetish, how they like to dress in women's clothing and perform oral sex under stall walls at the local mall, religious polygamy groups, abdl, all that sort of thing. It astonishes me that people even use these platforms, given that most timelines are choked with morons arguing about things like politics. The best is the morons who manage to get themselves put in "facebook jail" as they call it because they can't manage to behave like they are an age older than their shoesize. And this is the best place to buy shit or get a job? Are you kidding me?

kager

Re: “Don’t Say Gay”

Post by kager » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:41 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:58 am
Circle Seven wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:53 am
Neckbeard wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:00 pm
....I frankly think the problem with Facebook boils down to the users, not the company. The company does do unethical things like manipulating what people see and such, but the fact of the matter is that no one needs fucking facebook .... People should NOT NOT NOT be using Facebook as a source of information for anything ...
The draw of Facebook is people DO need it now.

It has become the best place to find a job. FB Marketplace is the best place to find things to buy. Way too many businesses are now using FB as their sole website.

And too many people that have FB on their phone think everyone else does too. I myself have missed two or three funerals thru the years because the family has forgot how to call around, and thinks everyone will know about it if they post it on FB.
If Facebook is the best place for you to find a job and things to buy then I am surprised you can even afford a cell phone. Facebook is where you go to have a giggle at weirdos who are willing to be too open with things that they should keep private. They have groups where people actually join to talk about their babyfur fetish, how they like to dress in women's clothing and perform oral sex under stall walls at the local mall, religious polygamy groups, abdl, all that sort of thing. It astonishes me that people even use these platforms, given that most timelines are choked with morons arguing about things like politics. The best is the morons who manage to get themselves put in "facebook jail" as they call it because they can't manage to behave like they are an age older than their shoesize. And this is the best place to buy shit or get a job? Are you kidding me?
Interesting widely-contrasting views on fb. I am guessing that you're both not wrong...

I don't have a fb account, don't own any stock. It has done some good things for people - primarily in the long-distance real-time communication space (though other excellent platforms exist for that as well) and making it relatively easy for people to find each other and reconnect. It has also done irreparable damage to people - particularly younger ones, and those with esteem issues - who place their popularity and rating on fb and other 'social media' platforms above the real world, and may not be able to separate the two.

As C7 pointed out, this has led to instances where people believe the 'effort' they put into fb is consumed and appreciated by all, and since that is their reality, there's no need to use traditional methods to communicate important life events to others... the fb swarm or borg will disseminate and absorb it.

I understand from my sister-in-law that FB Marketplace is really THE go-to for buying & selling things locally (a la craigslist-type sales) and much faster than CL. Things that were posted for weeks on CL sold in a day when on FBM. This is really the ONLY thing about fb that interests me, but not enough to join. If I get that desperate to buy or sell something, I'll request she search or list it for me. ;)

nb: Your characterization of fb timelines cracked me up. Sounds like polpot here.

As long as fb has the users and eyeballs on its content, it will be a force to reckon with. Apparently, not as much as it once was, and am rooting for the day it when it becomes the next MySpace.

I wouldn't rule out joining the platform if there was no other way to access something I absolutely needed or if desperate for employment, but privacy comes first, and there's none of that on fb.
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic