Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The 5th most populous city in the US is....

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Honeyman

The 5th most populous city in the US is....

Post by Honeyman » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:44 pm

Guesses?......I'll give you time...

Phoenix.

I would not have said that. Does that surprise everybody as much as it did me?

The censorship king from out of state.

SoutheastMIViewer

Re: The 5th most populous city in the US is....

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:54 pm

Nope. You can swim and golf many days of the month in Phoenix.

Plus the state tax laws are very generous to citizens
If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:04 pm

SoutheastMIViewer wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:54 pm

Not saying it's not a decent place to live. Got a good friend there...he wasnt golfing today since it was 100+ and supposed to pour...but he loves it.

I guess I should have been more clear, my point was, if you were asked to name the 5 most populous cities in this country, would you have named Phoenix?
The censorship king from out of state.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:45 pm

Honeyman - That's the same answer to the question "Name Chicago's largest suburb"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:49 pm

I would never move to Phoenix in a 100 years. Too fucking hot and it is severely lacking in ambiance. The rattlesnakes, scorpions, enormous spiders, killer bees and lizards aren't exactly my cup of tea, either.

If I had to name the five most populous cities, my guesses would've been as follows:

1) New York
2) Los Angeles
3) Chicago
4) Houston
5) Philadelphia

Phoenix probably would've been #7 or #8 on my most highly populated list. I would've slotted them behind Dallas for sure and possibly San Diego, too.

Atlanta (proper) has far fewer people than I thought. I would've pegged their population at about 700,000. They actually have fewer than 500,000 residents. I suppose that makes sense, as Atlanta is not a geographically large city.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 pm

Atlanta has a lot of suburban sprawl. Are they judging suburbs as part of this?

And no, I would never move to Phoenix. My one friend thinks it is becoming gay friendly, but I haven't seen it. Extremely hot and lots of old people. I don't care that it's a dry heat either, so is an oven.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

G G

Post by G G » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:28 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 pm

And no, I would never move to Phoenix. My one friend thinks it is becoming gay friendly
I sure hope not.
Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:49 pm
I would never move to Phoenix in a 100 years. Too fucking hot and it is severely lacking in ambiance. The rattlesnakes, scorpions, enormous spiders, killer bees and lizards aren't exactly my cup of tea, either.
I've lived in Scottsdale over the winter for 6 or 7 year now and I've never seen a rattler, scorpion, enormous spider, or killer bee in the time I've been there. On the other hand I've have lots of cute little gecko lizards that are a sign of good luck dashing around the place. Also an occasional coyote and bobcat. Bunnies and quail too, which explains the coyotes and bobcats...

The desert is an acquired taste. Having grown up in Oregon with forests and ocean beaches nearby it took me a bit of time to appreciate the desert but now I find it quite charming. As for the heat, it is what it is. I don't disagree with the lack of ambiance. Phoenix is changing a lot due to the record growth. It's getting a bit like LA in so much that the air quality is really suffering, a lot of strip malls being tossed up and it's getting a little crowded and squirrelly. If you're going to put up with that, at least in LA you've got the beach and great cultural opportunities to take the sting out of the lesser aspects. Frankly Mrs. Nightfly and I are actively looking at a move to Tucson where it's a little cooler on average, lots of activities due in part by having the University of Arizona in town, it's something of a foodie town and there are some really stunning desert estates on the market. Unfortunately, no Portillo's, Lou Malnati's or Giordano's (i.e. Chicago suburb) in Old Pueblo, but no worries, I've sort of taken a liking to Sonoran hot dogs.

G G

Post by G G » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:06 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:30 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
I've lived in Scottsdale over the winter for 6 or 7 year now and I've never seen a rattler, scorpion, enormous spider, or killer bee in the time I've been there. On the other hand I've have lots of cute little gecko lizards that are a sign of good luck dashing around the place. Also an occasional coyote and bobcat. Bunnies and quail too, which explains the coyotes and bobcats...

The desert is an acquired taste. Having grown up in Oregon with forests and ocean beaches nearby it took me a bit of time to appreciate the desert but now I find it quite charming. As for the heat, it is what it is. I don't disagree with the lack of ambiance. Phoenix is changing a lot due to the record growth. It's getting a bit like LA in so much that the air quality is really suffering, a lot of strip malls being tossed up and it's getting a little crowded and squirrelly. If you're going to put up with that, at least in LA you've got the beach and great cultural opportunities to take the sting out of the lesser aspects. Frankly Mrs. Nightfly and I are actively looking at a move to Tucson where it's a little cooler on average, lots of activities due in part by having the University of Arizona in town, it's something of a foodie town and there are some really stunning desert estates on the market. Unfortunately, no Portillo's, Lou Malnati's or Giordano's (i.e. Chicago suburb) in Old Pueblo, but no worries, I've sort of taken a liking to Sonoran hot dogs.
What amount of the population is illegals?
Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:28 am

G G wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:06 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

I'm sure one is one too many for xenophobes like yourself so why bother asking? Oh that's right, you haven't owned a lib today... Guess what? You still haven't.

G G

Post by G G » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:31 am

Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:28 am
G G wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

I'm sure one is one too many for xenophobes like yourself so why bother asking? Oh that's right, you haven't owned a lib today... Guess what? You still haven't.
23 hours left in the day!

SoutheastMIViewer

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:09 am

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:04 pm
SoutheastMIViewer wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:54 pm

Not saying it's not a decent place to live. Got a good friend there...he wasnt golfing today since it was 100+ and supposed to pour...but he loves it.

I guess I should have been more clear, my point was, if you were asked to name the 5 most populous cities in this country, would you have named Phoenix?
I would have placed it in top ten but not top five. But again based on what I mention I can see the growth to be in the top 5.
If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:27 pm

Back 50 years ago, it was New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Detroit all over 1,000,000. Cleveland and Houston were close. The rest, a bit behind. Vegas was maybe 50,000 or so, if that.

BME

Post by BME » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:46 am

G G wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:31 am
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:28 am
G G wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

23 hours left in the day!
Homophobic and xenophobic in the same thread. Crawl back into your cave.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic