Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rock And Roll Is DEAD!!

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
matt1

Rock And Roll Is DEAD!!

Post by matt1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Back in September of 1995, singer Lenny Kravitz sang "Rock And Roll Is Dead" (from "Circus", later on "Greatest Hits"). KISS member Gene Simmons said in April of 2016 said that "Rock And Roll" is over & done in a "TMZ" interview. I believe Gene!! Country, Pop & Rap are taking over since.

CurlyHoward

Re: Rock And Roll Is DEAD!!

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:44 pm

Uh yeah, this has only been happening pretty much since Kurt Cobain shot himself and grunge flamed out.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:43 am

Oh yeah, since the start of boy bands like N*Sync & Backstreet Boys in 1997!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:27 pm

matt1 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:43 am
Not really. That's pop music, pop has been around longer than Rock.
Rock is still around, but commercial radio doesn't embrace much of it, because the most interesting stuff is being done by independent artists. The incestuous relationship between the 4 labels and the 3 radio groups has not produced much lately, but if you search on Spotify you will find some amazing rock in almost any sub-genre you could imagine.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:30 pm

Rap gained steam with white suburban kids because it exposed them to the life and culture of the black ghettos, which was more interesting than suburbia. And lately, Country music has exposed the same group to the rural, largely southern, culture. Again, another setting and lifestyle than what they grew up around.
What image or place does rock evoke? Its neither relatable or selling a lifestyle. I prefer rock and worry about the future of music. Fewer people taking up instruments, fewer basement bands, fewer "Battle Of The Bands", and fewer good, legitimate talents being discovered and broken. But I kind of understand. Its not as personally relatable or presenting an intriguing life or culture. Also, rock is more Sophisticated. Its band-oriented, less centered around solo artists. It has complex chords and structures. it requires more practice. A lot of people like simple music they can replicate. Nirvana was so popular because they resembled a high school garage band. Teens could play Kurt Cobains riffs. Thats at least musically relateable, hence the bands abnormal phenomenon.
A kid in the hood who has never touched a guitar relates to rap because he can lay down tracks pretty easily. A bored country boy can learn a few chords on grandpas guitar and start writing songs. Both genres present a different lifestyle and culture to blander suburbia. And I think thats why rock is losing its appeal. Its not an authentic gateway to another perspective.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:45 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:27 pm
matt1 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:43 am
Not really. That's pop music, pop has been around longer than Rock.
Rock is still around, but commercial radio doesn't embrace much of it, because the most interesting stuff is being done by independent artists. The incestuous relationship between the 4 labels and the 3 radio groups has not produced much lately, but if you search on Spotify you will find some amazing rock in almost any sub-genre you could imagine.
Nobody in rock is booking any gigs.... Rock is 100% dead.
My friends who are working regular, play in tribute bands.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 pm

I disagree. Most shows I have seen lately have been sold out. Cover bands for classic rock? Nope...

Check out Royal Oak and the other theaters in Detroit are, they are doing well.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:37 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 pm
I disagree. Most shows I have seen lately have been sold out. Cover bands for classic rock? Nope...

Check out Royal Oak and the other theaters in Detroit are, they are doing well.
I've been to maybe 300 shows at places like Royal Oak. Rock is DEAD, nobody is booking shows. Take a look at who is booking the FOX, it's children's shows... while the Magic Bag is almost exclusively tribute bands.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:41 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 pm
Cover bands for classic rock? Nope...
MEGA 80's and Class of '98 play EVERY weekend in Detroit.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:15 am

While Detroit might be lean these days, you can't make broad sweeping statements about rock based on what's happening in Detroit. Most of what has been going on in rock music has bypassed Detroit in the last few decades with the exception of the Electronic Movement.

This is a music publication in Seattle, there's all kinds of things going on everyday. You could findthe same thing in many cities that have a more vibrant nightlife. Maybe that's the crux, Detroit nightlife it is in decline?

https://www.thestranger.com/events/musi ... y=rock-pop

― Noam Chomsky

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:15 am
While Detroit might be lean these days, you can't make broad sweeping statements about rock based on what's happening in Detroit. Most of what has been going on in rock music has bypassed Detroit in the last few decades with the exception of the Electronic Movement.

This is a music publication in Seattle, there's all kinds of things going on everyday. You could findthe same thing in many cities that have a more vibrant nightlife. Maybe that's the crux, Detroit nightlife it is in decline?

https://www.thestranger.com/events/musi ... y=rock-pop
Or... it's that rock is dead. A notable exception might be your local darlings, The Accidentals but then you could argue that Sav and Katie don't play rock.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:43 am

We are actually think the Accidentals are puttering out. I don't exactly call them Rock as much as they are pop-folk.

I see somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 shows a year around the country and I'm just not agreeing with your assessment. I haven't seen a concert in Detroit in 5 years simply because it's not a very hot market for good shows. Grand Rapids seems to be putting out better options with Van Andel Arena and clubs like the intersection. Do a quick glance in Chicago and compare it to Detroit for this weekend.

― Noam Chomsky

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:26 pm

Chicago? Same people booking there as we have here. We are experiencing this at different levels. I very seldom go to an arena for anything. They're not good places for music. RE: Accidentals, you're seeing the downside to Murray Wilson's (Amber's) business model. Those kids have been going pretty much non-stop since graduation. My BFF booked their first out of town gig. I've seen them a half dozen times.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Meanwhile...the singer for Humble Pie is trying to get me to go to the gig at the Token. None of the people currently in the band are original members... Is it a tribute band?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic