I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Hundreds of newspapers unite to attack Trump

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
bmw

Hundreds of newspapers unite to attack Trump

Post by bmw » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:35 am

These media outlets are getting a little too self-important for their own good.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/politics ... index.html

Here is just a sampling from one of the articles. It is representative of what most of these articles have to say:
I'm humbled to report that Boise Weekly is one of hundreds of newspapers across the U.S. that are, this week, calling out the clear and present danger of President Donald Trump's attack on journalism. Trump is not the first U.S. President to tangle with the media, yet he chooses to define his administration via vitriolic rhetoric, calling the press "fake," "disgusting," "liars," "sick," and most recently, "the enemy of the people." The barrage is more than ugly. It's a reckless attempt to corrode a key pillar of democracy.
Ok, first of all, Trump never called "the press...'the enemy of the people'. " He specifically called "fake news...the enemy of the people." He also never called the press fake, rather, he accused the press of reporting fake news.

If you're gonna accuse the President of dangerously and unfairly attacking your institution, at least get your facts straight. Right now you look like a bunch of crybabies with damaged egos. I also find it kinda ironic to see the press whining about being attacked by Trump when all the press had done itself is attack Trump, 24/7 since the day he became President.

Turkeytop

Re: Hundreds of newspapers unite to attack Trump

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:13 am

And by "fake news" he means any news that is unflattering to him. The purveyor of fake news is The National Enquirer, the only paper Trump reads.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:09 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:13 am
And by "fake news" he means any news that is unflattering to him. The purveyor of fake news is The National Enquirer, the only paper Trump reads.
Yes and who reports such news? The people writing the above. Therefore he most certainly attacked them. He’s attacked the New York Times and Washington Post as “failing” and called for ridiculous investigations of Amazon over shipping rates via USPS because Jeff Bezos owns the Post and Amazon.

So who’s the crybaby? Trump has unbelievably thin skin and is so toothless he can’t even fire people to their face... there’s no big leap in logic that anyone reporting unflattering things about him would be an enemy and his attacks on the press have led to some pretty nasty behavior on journalists at Trump rallies, the prime example being CNN’s Jim Acosta who was among other things spat on. But it’s all the press yes sirree bob...
Last edited by NS8401 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:14 am

Thank God for the free press in The United States of America. People who have lived here all their lives often take for granted the bedrocks of our democracy - a free press, free elections, freedom to protest, etc. They are spoiled. They don’t appreciate the liberty we enjoy in this country because it’s just something they expect - like air, water, sleep, and their five senses.

Only when they start to LOSE what they expect - do they finally appreciate those precious, priceless, most important things.

Don’t waste time trying to convince these dullards that Trump’s attack on “the FIRST AMENDMENT bedrock” of our democracy - is a tyrannical FIRST STEP in a tyrant’s march. An anti-democratic move that must NOT be ignored or excused. Unfortunately - they will NEVER get it. Because they are completely captured by his dangerous charismatic con artistry. Their passionate blind allegiance is to - The Cult of Trump.

And you cannot be a member of his BASE base unless you remain conned - via brainwashing - by his propaganda bureau. Which is of course just the opposite of a free press.

Why do you think Jefferson addressed “a FREE press” as his FIRST amendment?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Even the left-leaning Politico says this is a bad idea.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... nds-219360
this Globe-sponsored coordinated editorial response is sure to backfire: It will provide Trump with circumstantial evidence of the existence of a national press cabal that has been convened solely to oppose him. When the editorials roll off the press on Thursday, all singing from the same script, Trump will reap enough fresh material to whale on the media for at least a month.

The Globe’s anti-Trump project is also an exercise in redundancy, not to mention self-stroking. Most newspapers have already published a multitude of editorials and columns rebuking the president for his trash-talking of the press...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:04 pm
Even the left-leaning Politico says this is a bad idea
To the extent that it may provoke the ire of an irrational lunatic, it might be a bad idea. But the free press must always be defended.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:41 pm

They are banding together in defense of the free press because the stakes are now so unprecedented as to be life threatening. Not only to free press journalism. But to every single journalist!

And the fact that each news outlet has always been a cut-throat competator against others makes this banding together even more striking.

When you fear for your life you awaken to the solace - there’s safety in numbers.

Why are they fearing for their safety? Because the president of The United States is inciting violence against them, and they have recently seen his reaction to an American newsroom full of journslists become a gunman’s shooting gallery - ending with fatal results.

The free press isn’t waiting for that to happen to them at one of his rallies, or anywhere. Especially since the POTUS is mentally ill.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 pm

This will help the Democrats this fall. The only people who will be upset about this are his core, and really, who cares about that group?

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't think anybody's "upset" by this.

Also, the idea that the Trump presidency in any way, shape, or form threatens the existence of a free press is poppycock.

btw - remember how some people in here got their panties in a wad when Sinclair made the TV stations it owns all read from the same script and decry fake news? How is this really any different? And don't tell me that one was forced while the other is optional - I would wager substantial money that some of people who wrote today's editorials were forced to write them by the higher-ups at the various newspapers where they work.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:44 pm

It seems to me that the "press" is bothered quite a bit more about what T Rump say's/tweet's about them than they were about what Obama actually did to them.

I.E.

Prosecuting journalists and their sources.
Wiretapping the Associated Press
Stonewalling FOIA requests
Closing White House events to all but the official photographer
Had the FBI investigate James Rosen for doing his job.
Completely excluding a major news network from press conferences because he didn't like the coverage.

~The people that predicted new technology would make us a paperless society evidently never tried to wipe their butt with an iPhone"~

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:36 pm

No comparison between sick Trump and his sickening band of swamp denizens and familial self-entitled enablers.

Presidential historians speak during interviews of their astoundment at Trump’s abhorrent words, dirty deeds, and
never-seen-before drive to DIS-unify the US citizenry. But sick Trump enjoys defiant dismemberment.

Democrat or Republican president - nothing like this greedy cowardly “shill for Russia’s leader” - ever.

And because Putin is crazy Trump’s manipulator - Omarosa - as well as journalists - had better be afraid for their lives.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:44 pm
It seems to me that the "press" is bothered quite a bit more about what T Rump say's/tweet's about them than they were about what Obama actually did to them.

I.E.

Prosecuting journalists and their sources.
Wiretapping the Associated Press
Stonewalling FOIA requests
Closing White House events to all but the official photographer
Had the FBI investigate James Rosen for doing his job.
Completely excluding a major news network from press conferences because he didn't like the coverage.
Maybe the press felt less threatened by that President than by the current one.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 am

Oh ye defenders of the "free press", where we're you during the Reagan and Clinton administrations?

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2008/1/18/439135/-

What his Excellency DJT has exposed is the failing of deregulation. Albeit in a crude manner... What if one of those intellectual giant heads from the Democratic party were to stand up and say, "I don't agree with the President's terms and language, but he has a point in as much as the power of the press now rests in the hands of too few people... etc" THAT would be a winning issue and undoubtedly peel off some Trump supporters.

But they don't. Because they're just as corrupt as the Republican swap rats. And more and more of the American people see this, so Trump's approval numbers continue to rise. Better to have the truth spoken coarsely than polite silence. No one buys into this fear of being silenced when the average Joe (or Mohammed) can put their views on Youtube, FB or any other social media platform, get thousands and millions of views, and the only censorship comes from the left.

#lovemypresident

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am

#lovemypresident ?

Oh yeah. You’re in the Cult.

All worship. Nothing else.

“I could go out and shoot someone on 5th Avenue ...”

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:42 am

screen glare wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am
#lovemypresident ?

Oh yeah. You’re in the Cult.

All worship. Nothing else.

“I could go out and shoot someone on 5th Avenue ...”
You're one to talk. You're all hatred and nothing else.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:53 am

Hater of lies.

Lover of truth.

Which makes me one to talk. Yes.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:05 am

The actual quote is:

“...I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters.”

Because - he went on to say - “I have the most loyal voters.”

And by now we all know his much Ballywho’d craven craving for blind loyalty.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:16 am

Gimme a break. Your hatred of the President goes far, far beyond any of the alleged "lies" he's told.

As to the 5th Avenue quote - it's called hyperbole. Look it up.

Now I will acknowledge that Trump does indeed have a cult-like following among a percentage of the population - people with whom Trump can do no wrong. But guess what. Obama also had a cult-like following, and his cult was arguably larger than Trump's. There is also a whatever-the-exact-opposite-of-a-cult-is group of people who oppose and hate Trump no matter what he says or does, and you SG are clearly in that group. The fact that you and others don't recognize that blind hatred can be equally dangerous as blind love/admiration is what is most concerning.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks for bolstering my point. Excuser, Mitigator, and “but what about” Distractor. Those with alert eyes wide open - see through you. And your cult brainwash.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:18 pm

chromacolor2 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 am
Oh ye defenders of the "free press", where we're you during the Reagan and Clinton administrations?

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2008/1/18/439135/-

What his Excellency DJT has exposed is the failing of deregulation. Albeit in a crude manner... What if one of those intellectual giant heads from the Democratic party were to stand up and say, "I don't agree with the President's terms and language, but he has a point in as much as the power of the press now rests in the hands of too few people... etc" THAT would be a winning issue and undoubtedly peel off some Trump supporters.

But they don't. Because they're just as corrupt as the Republican swap rats. And more and more of the American people see this, so Trump's approval numbers continue to rise. Better to have the truth spoken coarsely than polite silence. No one buys into this fear of being silenced when the average Joe (or Mohammed) can put their views on Youtube, FB or any other social media platform, get thousands and millions of views, and the only censorship comes from the left.

#lovemypresident
If and when this comes crashing down on you I’m going to probably use so many of these :rollin , that the server completely burns up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic