Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Cathouses Of Grand Rapids Circa 1970

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Ben Zonia

The Cathouses Of Grand Rapids Circa 1970

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:41 am

The recent post about the oldest profession reminded me of something that happened circa 1970 in Grand Rapids. Our family was visiting my Grandfather in Grand Rapids before he moved to the VA Facility there. We were driving around Central Grand Rapids, and my Grandfather pointed out the window and said, "There's where that Cathouse is that they raided last week." I was a teenager, and had heard about what a prostitute was, but I had never heard the term Cathouse before. I asked "what's a cathouse?" Not wanting to get into an explanation of what it was in case I was totally naive, he said, "Oh, they had an Angorra, and a Siamese, and a Calico...", before my Mom abruptly changed the subject. Anybody here remember where that Cathouse was? It was big news in Dutch Reformed land, apparently. Were the "Cats" any good?

We always ate at Hattem's Restaurant nearby. Or Holly's sometimes. Hattem's was President Ford's favorite Restaurant, I learned recently.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Milk

Re: The Cathouses Of Grand Rapids Circa 1970

Post by Milk » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Grand Rapids, MI is 989.8 miles from Niceville, FL.

Ben Zonia

Re: The Cathouses Of Grand Rapids Circa 1970

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:08 pm

Researching further, it might have been the Morton House "Kitten Club" inspired by Hugh Hefner Enterprises in the 1960s.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids ... rants.html

Who'd of thunk?

Further research shows that it was at Monroe Center and Ionia. That wasn't far from Hattem's.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic