Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Energy lemmings

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: Energy lemmings

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:51 am

Yea, and what happens when grid goes offline at 5 pm because EVERYONE sets the thermostat from 85 back to 78. Silly.

82 is probably isn't the most comfortable at night. Most of the time just open the windows at night.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:55 am

Not those exact numbers, but I do those things, not because someone tells me to do it. I do it to save money. I use a programmable thermostat to take care of it for me. When we go off to Florida for the winter, I lock the thermostat at 55. Nobody ever told me to do that.

It would be foolish to heat the house to comfortable temperatures when no one it there to benefit from the comfort. It would be equally foolish to turn the heat off during freezing weather.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:40 am

I haven't used AC this year, I just open windows at night, close in morning.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:20 am

audiophile wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:40 am
I haven't used AC this year, I just open windows at night, close in morning.
I'm betting it isn't because someone told you to do that.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:30 pm

Use all the gas you need, the supplies are almost infinite. Ask an oil company geologist about "abiogenesis".

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Now, “energy experts” are telling you to turn your AC to 78 while you're home, 82 when you sleep, and 85 when you’re away.
Turn it up at night? Really?!?! That makes no sense. Outside temperatures at night are cooler; AC systems do not need to work as hard.

Also, who in their right mind would turn UP the thermostat as they're about to hit the sack?

I usually keep it around 76 in the daytime (would turn it up to 80 while I'm at the office, but I have a dog in the house and want him to stay comfortable) and 73 at night when I'm sleeping.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic