All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 25, 2018 3:58 pm

In all likelihood, I will not be casting a vote for Mr. Calley in the GOP primary.

The fact he is an ally of Snide Ricky is, of course, a big strike against him. That, in & of itself, is not a disqualifier for me, though.

Here's what I don't like about Mr. Calley (in no particular order):

1. His about-face on Trump. Mr. Calley was harshly critical of Trump during the presidential campaign. I have no issue with that. The criticism was largely deserved. Calley refused to (publicly) support Trump, even after he was the GOP nominee. What I *do* have a major issue with is Calley now acting as if he's now in total lockstep with Trump. What a phony!! Schuette represented the Michigan delegation in 2016 in Cleveland, as did Ms. Romney-McDaniel. Where the f&ck were Snyder and Calley?

2. His criticism of Schuette's handling of Flint: "waaah! It's taking too long and costing too much money. Waaaah!" Never mind the fact the legal liability to which Snyder's government has exposed this state is likely in the hundreds of millions of dollars, and tens if not hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars have already been committed to undoing the wrongs perpetrated by Snyder's clueless EM's and Snyder's clueless DEQ (under its prior
"leader"). These expenditures have nothing to do with the court case. Calley would rather brush everything under the rug out of convenience instead of allowing Schuette and the Justice system see things through to completion.

3. His bizarre criticism of Schuette's personal assets: Listening to Mr. Calley, one would think owning real estate or having personal investments while in office is illegal. I guess Calley thinks anyone who runs for statewide offices needs to liquidate all investments prior to holding office? Good lord. He sounds like a friggin' communist.

4. His insane criticism of Schuette using state legal stuff to notarize his signature: Folks, there is no conflict of interest here. All a notary does is verify the authenticity of a personal signature. If Schuette is using staff to notarize his own live signature, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Private law offices notarize live signatures of clients, their attorneys, etc. all the time. I do not know why the AG office should function any differently. For Calley to make an issue of this is pathetic.

5. Zero leadership on auto insurance reform: Where does Calley stand on this? I've yet to hear him articulate a meaningful position supportive of reform. Reforming Michigan's outrageous auto insurance laws is my personal top issue for this year's election. Note: "weeding out fraud" does NOT count as reform.


The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

NS8401
Posts: 8733
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by NS8401 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:58 pm
In all likelihood, I will not be casting a vote for Mr. Calley in the GOP primary.

The fact he is an ally of Snide Ricky is, of course, a big strike against him. That, in & of itself, is not a disqualifier for me, though.

Here's what I don't like about Mr. Calley (in no particular order):

1. His about-face on Trump. Mr. Calley was harshly critical of Trump during the presidential campaign. I have no issue with that. The criticism was largely deserved. Calley refused to (publicly) support Trump, even after he was the GOP nominee. What I *do* have a major issue with is Calley now acting as if he's now in total lockstep with Trump. What a phony!! Schuette represented the Michigan delegation in 2016 in Cleveland, as did Ms. Romney-McDaniel. Where the f&ck were Snyder and Calley?

2. His criticism of Schuette's handling of Flint: "waaah! It's taking too long and costing too much money. Waaaah!" Never mind the fact the legal liability to which Snyder's government has exposed this state is likely in the hundreds of millions of dollars, and tens if not hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars have already been committed to undoing the wrongs perpetrated by Snyder's clueless EM's and Snyder's clueless DEQ (under its prior
"leader"). These expenditures have nothing to do with the court case. Calley would rather brush everything under the rug out of convenience instead of allowing Schuette and the Justice system see things through to completion.

3. His bizarre criticism of Schuette's personal assets: Listening to Mr. Calley, one would think owning real estate or having personal investments while in office is illegal. I guess Calley thinks anyone who runs for statewide offices needs to liquidate all investments prior to holding office? Good lord. He sounds like a friggin' communist.

4. His insane criticism of Schuette using state legal stuff to notarize his signature: Folks, there is no conflict of interest here. All a notary does is verify the authenticity of a personal signature. If Schuette is using staff to notarize his own live signature, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Private law offices notarize live signatures of clients, their attorneys, etc. all the time. I do not know why the AG office should function any differently. For Calley to make an issue of this is pathetic.

5. Zero leadership on auto insurance reform: Where does Calley stand on this? I've yet to hear him articulate a meaningful position supportive of reform. Reforming Michigan's outrageous auto insurance laws is my personal top issue for this year's election. Note: "weeding out fraud" does NOT count as reform.
As to number 3... blind trust... nuff’ said and an argument defused. Schutte strikes me as a slithery sort of guy while your description of Calley seems spot on.



User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 5357
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by audiophile » Sat May 26, 2018 10:20 am

1. I like Calley. It takes guts to stand up to your party against a Trump nomination. Once Trump won, the matter is concluded, and then there no reason they can't work together and be friendly. I had a good friend remind me if you challenge something but lose, it not hypocritical to accept the decision. I don't agree with your logic on this.

2. I think Schuette is too aggressive in charging water problems with manslaughter. Way over the top!

3. I didn't think Calley endorsed any ads I saw.

4. I agree - not an issue.

5. I don't think you can call him on this issue yet. The legislature is sitting on it too.


Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 26, 2018 10:44 am

Snyder and Calley have been very quiet on the issue of auto insurance reform, which suggests to me (a) they don't care or (b) they support the status quo. Either stance is completely unacceptable to me.

I have no issue with Calley pledging to work with Trump if elected. What I do have an issue with is Calley's hyperbole.

Re: auto insurance reform, Arlan Meekhof is a crony capitalism loving piece of crap. He loves the current, rigged system where hospitals can price gouge and consumers are forced to buy coverage they may not want or need. Does his term end this year, and if so, is he running for reelection?


The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 3064
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by Bryce » Sat May 26, 2018 10:56 am

NS8401 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 pm


Schutte strikes me as a slithery sort of guy while your description of Calley seems spot on.
THIS!

Going to be a conundrum for me.


~If the left didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all."~

Matt
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by Matt » Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:58 pm
In all likelihood, I will not be casting a vote for Mr. Calley in the GOP primary.

The fact he is an ally of Snide Ricky is, of course, a big strike against him. That, in & of itself, is not a disqualifier for me, though.

Here's what I don't like about Mr. Calley (in no particular order):

1. His about-face on Trump. Mr. Calley was harshly critical of Trump during the presidential campaign. I have no issue with that. The criticism was largely deserved. Calley refused to (publicly) support Trump, even after he was the GOP nominee. What I *do* have a major issue with is Calley now acting as if he's now in total lockstep with Trump. What a phony!! Schuette represented the Michigan delegation in 2016 in Cleveland, as did Ms. Romney-McDaniel. Where the f&ck were Snyder and Calley?

2. His criticism of Schuette's handling of Flint: "waaah! It's taking too long and costing too much money. Waaaah!" Never mind the fact the legal liability to which Snyder's government has exposed this state is likely in the hundreds of millions of dollars, and tens if not hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars have already been committed to undoing the wrongs perpetrated by Snyder's clueless EM's and Snyder's clueless DEQ (under its prior
"leader"). These expenditures have nothing to do with the court case. Calley would rather brush everything under the rug out of convenience instead of allowing Schuette and the Justice system see things through to completion.

3. His bizarre criticism of Schuette's personal assets: Listening to Mr. Calley, one would think owning real estate or having personal investments while in office is illegal. I guess Calley thinks anyone who runs for statewide offices needs to liquidate all investments prior to holding office? Good lord. He sounds like a friggin' communist.

4. His insane criticism of Schuette using state legal stuff to notarize his signature: Folks, there is no conflict of interest here. All a notary does is verify the authenticity of a personal signature. If Schuette is using staff to notarize his own live signature, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Private law offices notarize live signatures of clients, their attorneys, etc. all the time. I do not know why the AG office should function any differently. For Calley to make an issue of this is pathetic.

5. Zero leadership on auto insurance reform: Where does Calley stand on this? I've yet to hear him articulate a meaningful position supportive of reform. Reforming Michigan's outrageous auto insurance laws is my personal top issue for this year's election. Note: "weeding out fraud" does NOT count as reform.
Only 3 and 4 are valid. Also, this state is in tremendously better shape than it was 8 years ago, with the state now on sound fiscal footing and Detroit clearly on the rebound, due to a well executed bankruptcy with regional government cooperation and significant private investment. If only the locals in the Flint area had been so cooperative...

I'm not a H*** fan of Schuette. I see him as the Hillary of this particular race from the perspective that he feels he is entitled to the office. I would vote for him if he wins the nomination over any of the trio of clowns on the Democrat side, but I will be voting for Calley in the primary if I do in fact vote in the Republican primary. There's a mayoral race in Ann Arbor that will be decided in August where we have a challenger who wants to emphasize roads and public safety as opposed to the incumbent that thinks that Ann Arbor needs to be "welcoming" to the homeless and has yet to be presented with a high rise development that he can't wait to rubber-stamp.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 28, 2018 8:15 am

I do give Snyder a lot of credit for the handling of Detroit's bankruptcy. That, by far, is the highlight of his administration.

The jobs (statewide) were going to come back regardless. Did changes to the business tax climate and right to work amplify the rebound to an extent? Sure.

I'd be curious to know why you feel points #2 and #5 are invalid.

The one strong negative thing regarding Schuette that sticks in my mind is how he almost immediately declared public safety officers exempt from the Right-to-Work law. (Of note, Snyder was standing at Schuette's side when Schuette made that proclamation.) I would love to know the legal basis for that decision by Schuette.

Calley is linked to the hip with Snyder. Our roads (especially county roads) remain a disaster, Snyder barely lifted a finger with regard to pushing for auto insurance reform, and our public schools have never been in worse shape with regard to academic performance. Those could all be big liabilities in a general election contest.

Schuette's biggest liabilities from a general election standpoint, IMO, are his connections to lobbyists/donors* and his efforts to block gay marriage in Michigan.

*Calley has some baggage in this realm, too. See Centria Healthcare.


The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

Matt
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by Matt » Mon May 28, 2018 8:36 am

I really believe the Flint situation is ultimately a local issue that the state got mixed up in, because of a lack of cooperation from local leaders (also a lack of competence that put them in a position to need an EM). The water switch would have happened whether there was an EM or not. Bill Schuette saw an opportunity to aggressively litigate and perhaps take down his main competitor at the same time. I'm not intending to absolve the state or re-litigate, I'm just calling it as I see it in the context of Calley vs. Schuette. It is interesting that Schuette did not devote resources to the atrocities at MSU until it was no longer possible for him to avoid action. Why did he wait so long? It would seem that he decided there was no political advantage to going after MSU.

Auto insurance reform needs to happen, and the governor has been supportive, but there is a lot of support in high places to keep Michigan the only no-fault state with uncapped medical benefits that makes true reform a very tough hurdle. Look no further than Oakland County: L. Brooks Patterson has benefitted from the law. He wields an inordinate amount of power. Maybe once he retires after this term (if he does), his stature will be somewhat reduced. I wouldn't count on it though...



User avatar
Frank Booth
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 12:46 am
Location: Wood County Ohio

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by Frank Booth » Tue May 29, 2018 1:21 am

For what it's worth:

Auto Insurance, is one of the big reasons I moved 20 minutes, over the state line into Ohio. The Most Expensive state in the country for Auto Insurance to one of the cheapest states for it. I can't speak for everyone but I do think it factors into some people's reason for leaving Michigan, even if it's a local move. Say living near Northern Indiana or The Toledo area, where you can kind of have your pick of either state.

That said, Synder's 8 years have not been all that productive. I think he's a bit better then Jenny but not by much. A few years ago, that whole road ballot issue went down in flames. I am not that familiar with Calley, My guess is Schutte is probably the nominee and may be the next governor. I can't see the state voting for any of the Democrats running, even in a bad GOP year. Too radical. If I am guessing right, I'd say it's going to be more of the same.


I-Heart Media, I ask you to please bring back 106.7 The D, but without Journey,Eddie money, or Styx. ALT 106.7 sucks ass!

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 29, 2018 8:06 pm

The water switch would have happened whether there was an EM or not. Bill Schuette saw an opportunity to aggressively litigate and perhaps take down his main competitor at the same time. I'm not intending to absolve the state or re-litigate, I'm just calling it as I see it in the context of Calley vs. Schuette.
The issue wasn't so much the switch, but the fact (a) the switch occurred despite the water plant not having the proper equipment to properly purify the water, (b) the MDEQ providing misinformation to the local water plant operators and (c) a disgusting effort by a plethora of state officials to cover up their missteps and withhold critical information from the general public.

I doubt Schuette had a take down of Brian Calley in mind. Polling suggests this issue is not even on the radar of GOP primary voters outside of Genesee County. If political motivations were at play, I suspect he would be thinking of the general election, not the primary.

Your point regarding L. Brooks Patterson is certainly true. That said, there was a fair amount of Republican support - especially in the House - for auto insurance reform in 2017. It would've been nice if Rick Snyder would've lobbied as hard as Mike Duggan for it. Perhaps he could've gotten 10 or 11 more people on board. With regard to 2017's effort, Snyder was seemingly silent on the issue. Snyder seems to have no problem working the phones or pounding the pavement when tax cuts for his chamber of commerce buddies are at stake. When it comes to cutting taxes for ordinary Michigan citizens (or in this case, relief from compulsory auto insurance premiums), he seems unwilling to do more than barely lift a finger.

I am ambivalent with regard to the AG's office handling of the MSU situation. When should he have stepped in? I don't know the answer to that question. Frankly, we don't know when the AG's investigation of Michigan State's handling of the Nassar sex abuse scandal began, other than "some time in 2017." Given the fact criminal trials were underway or pending, there may be legalistic reasons for postponing action. I will say - an exhaustive and objective investigation of MSU's systemic handling of sexual abuse cases is 100% necessary. Anything short of that will be unacceptable to me.

Speaking of MSU-related investigations, I think Ms. Whitmer has much more baggage than Mr. Schuette in that area.


The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:26 am

So, Weasel Calley accuses Schuette of playing politics with Flint and MSU (because Schuette actually did his JOB), and then what does the Weasel do?

He puts a couple of the MSU survivors in his TV ads!!! If that isn't "playing politics," what is???

What a fucking hypocrite.


The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2110
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am
Location: Moderator of Reason

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:14 am

I stumbled across an ad last night which solely talked about the fact that Calley went to Harvard. I don't think I'll ever understand why having a good education is a liability. it seems to me like Schuette is pandering to the moron Trump core.

I can't say that either side has a strong candidate at the moment. Schuette will likely be the Republican candidate. I think that Calley has been largely vacant during his campaign.


(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 3064
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by Bryce » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 am

Patrick Colbeck is looking better and better to me.


~If the left didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all."~

NS8401
Posts: 8733
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by NS8401 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 am
Patrick Colbeck is looking better and better to me.
He can’t win though...



User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 3064
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by Bryce » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:03 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:05 pm
Bryce wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 am
Patrick Colbeck is looking better and better to me.
He can’t win though...
If I remember correctly, You said the same about T Rump.


~If the left didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all."~

NS8401
Posts: 8733
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by NS8401 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:03 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:05 pm
Bryce wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 am
Patrick Colbeck is looking better and better to me.
He can’t win though...
If I remember correctly, You said the same about T Rump.
Trump is Sui Generis and won by the skin of his teeth... Colbeck wouldn’t. We are an evenly split (actually D+1) State... gerrymandering and midterm elections with lower Democratic turnout have gotten us here not a love affair with conservatism...



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:54 am

I agree with TC Talks insofar as Schuette's attacks on "elitism" are concerned.

Getting a phenomenal education is not an issue.

Instead, I'd like to know whether any taxpayer dollars funded Calley's post graduate education.

I'd also like to know how much time he was spending in Massachusetts and what impact, if any, it had on his work schedule in Lansing.


The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2110
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am
Location: Moderator of Reason

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 am

MW,

You aren't interested in finding out where the candidates stand on certain issues? You don't want to know their core integrity?

if you're just interested in a different shade of mud that gets slung at a candidate I don't see this country getting much better.

I work about 25 hours a week most weeks. I get more done then many people I know because I work faster and smarter. If Caley does the same, that a problem?

Need I remind you that Trump is taken more days away from the White House in Washington DC than any other president in the history of this country? His minions don't care


(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

bmw
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:35 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 am
I work about 25 hours a week most weeks. I get more done then many people I know because I work faster and smarter.
Ah, so not only are all conservatives idiots and morons and assholes and irrational, but YOU are an amazing fast worker and smart as Einstein.

Maybe SG can chime in here - what mental disorder causes one to repeatedly gloat about how smart he is and how stupid everybody else is?



Matt
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Brian Calley is such a weenie...

Post by Matt » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:35 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:26 am
So, Weasel Calley accuses Schuette of playing politics with Flint and MSU (because Schuette actually did his JOB), and then what does the Weasel do?

He puts a couple of the MSU survivors in his TV ads!!! If that isn't "playing politics," what is???

What a fucking hypocrite.
Wrong. He was focused on the Flint witch hunt and really dragged his feet on MSU and did not act until he absolutely had to.

I'd vote for Calley most likely if I was voting in the Republican primary, but we have a de facto general election in August in Ann Arbor and I really want Jack Eaton to beat incumbent Mayor Christopher Taylor.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic