Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

ATSC 3.0 To Be Deployed In 40 U.S. Markets By End Of 2020

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
CK-722

Re: ATSC 3.0 To Be Deployed In 40 U.S. Markets By End Of 2020

Post by CK-722 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:36 pm

I emailed Mr. Shapiro from the CEA/CTA a couple of months ago, and he said that ATSC 3.0 capable sets would be generally available by the end of 2020. He said that the sets would be unveiled at the CES Show in Las Vegas in early 2020. I don't know if a consumer could buy a set before that. Can you volunteer for Beta testing and get a set?

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Keep in mind ATSC 3.0 is not mandated and could become another tech failure, Many broadcasters may just say forget ATSC 3.0 and just be forced to do the repack which in itself is going to be costly and remain ATSC 1.0, And the same goes for us consumers most of us will not run out and replace our televisions or even purchase a converter for each of our televisions. ATSC 3.0 could just die like AM Stereo, The Minidisc, 8 Track and even HD Radio, We will see.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Chuck Davies wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:35 pm
Keep in mind ATSC 3.0 is not mandated and could become another tech failure, Many broadcasters may just say forget ATSC 3.0 and just be forced to do the repack which in itself is going to be costly and remain ATSC 1.0,
The industry overall is committed to ATSC 3.0, as it replaces obsolete MPEG-2/8-VSB tech that was introduced before 1999, and is inadequate for modern video and audio content. Not a "tech failure" by any measure, it's gonna happen. The repack, while a PITA for broadcasters, is mostly financed by the monies from the spectrum auction. Yes, costs for facility improvements beyond what is required for a repack move may need to be borne by individual stations or groups.
And the same goes for us consumers most of us will not run out and replace our televisions or even purchase a converter for each of our televisions. ATSC 3.0 could just die like AM Stereo, The Minidisc, 8 Track and even HD Radio, We will see.
The 3.0 rollout is over a ten year period. No need to "run out" for converters or new TV's until all your local broadcasters decide to turn off their "night light" 1.0 signals, and your old 42" LCD is flickering its last (typical replacement cycle for consumer devices was anticipated). By then the early adopters phase will have passed, and ever-larger OLED, HDR, 7.1 sets for OTA broadcast will be a commodity item, and you'll really really want one. :)

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:28 pm

So you’re saying the rollout is to be complete by 2030, My two Philips Televisions are 10 years old and are still going strong, So what about the televisions that are purchased today they could last 15 years or better, So I don’t think People will want to replace something that isn’t broke. And besides I have streaming television so I’m in the 80 percent that doesn’t need over-the -air television so I don’t need to do anything.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic