Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:21 pm

Her proposal damn well better involve removal of the 6 percent sales tax from fuel, a reduction in auto fees, or a combination of the two or else it's embarrassingly laughable.

45 cents ?!?! Is she nuts?

Our politicians in Lansing couldn't even muster passage of a very reasonable 15 cents (in one fell swoop) in 2016!

How about reducing our auto insurance rates before giving many Michigan households a $500+ / yr. tax increase?

Deleted User 14935

Re: Gretcholm wants to raise fuel taxes by 45 cents/gallon by 2020

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:28 pm

Next will be a massive registration fee increase just like California, Maybe her dress that she was wearing during her “State of the State” Address doesn’t look that hot anymore.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:45 pm

On social media all my Michigan friends have had a rather harsh opinion of this proposal. Needless today they are not happy that gas will raise by 45 cents a gallon.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:06 pm

It turns out that "fix the damn roads" was just a dog whistle for "raise the damn taxes".

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:22 pm

I said that from the beginning, Just before she took office.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:56 pm

I had a comment, but edited to erase cuz I don’t want to get in this debate. Lol

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:18 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:06 pm
It turns out that "fix the damn roads" was just a dog whistle for "raise the damn taxes".
What exactly do you suppose we should do then? We are so far behind we should spend all of the rainy day fund on it and redirect as much as possible from other sources... at this point we probably can’t catch up fully on road repairs... this is a non-starter with a GOP legislature...

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:07 pm

I don't really think there is anything else that can be done without increasing the gas tax. The things that might could get done probably won't. In the meantime while trying to decide what the better options are the roads will continue to get worse and worse. Gonna need revenue, make cuts where you can, and redirect the sales tax on gas to roads, and maybe a modest increase in registrations and license fees.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:34 pm

two words "Overton Window" this is how the party's do business.

All these years we shout less taxes as the price to do work goes up, then how do you pay for 40 years of neglect.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:09 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:34 pm

All these years we shout less taxes as the price to do work goes up, then how do you pay for 40 years of neglect.
There are probably fewer years of neglect and more instances of shabby construction/maintenance work than you care to want to even try to quantify.

The problem didn't surface overnight, and neither will the fix, no matter what phrase the new girl uses.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:19 am

kager wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:09 pm
tapeisrolling wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:34 pm

There are probably fewer years of neglect and more instances of shabby construction/maintenance work than you care to want to even try to quantify.

The problem didn't surface overnight, and neither will the fix, no matter what phrase the new girl uses.
The root cause of shabby anything is money... you can’t fix something with nothing....

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:13 am

The problem you run into, and I have seen this in states nationwide, is these taxes are increased to do one thing and then the money gets used for everything else but what it is set aside to do. There is no guarantee the same own't happen here.

LTL-FTC

Post by LTL-FTC » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:00 am

It cost me $25+ to drive across Ohio and more again in Penn via their toll road interstate hiways.
Put toll gates at the state line on US23 and all the other major hiways .... and lease business space in the rest areas.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:10 am

Michigan in the 20th Century, especially Post WWII, had two big Industries, The Automobile Industry and The Tourism Industry.

Look what happened when Oil prices surged due to the phony Peak Oil Theory, and the refusal to allow much Oil and Gas exploration in this country. It put us Under the Barrel of Middle East Oil. There seemed to be no top price for a barrel of oil.

1) Gas prices soared to over $4.15 A Gallon.

2) The recently thriving Detroit Automobile Industry quickly collapsed within a few months as gas prices continued high, ruining mid size Domestic Midsized Personal Transportation Production.

3) General Motors and Chrysler went out of business as we knew them. Their stock became worthless. Ford had already restructured and eked through.

4) The government took over GM and Chrysler, like in a Communist country.

Only when exploration for Oil and Oil production was allowed by various loopholes in various regions, like the Great Plains, did the Oil Prices go down.

1) Because of this, our economy began to recover with cheaper oil.

2) The Auto Industry began to recover.

3) The government got out in front of the parade, and claimed that THEY were responsible for the recovery.

Now storm clouds are forming.

1) Ocrazyo Cortez and Bolshevik Bernie want to make America a Communist State by any other name.

2) The Ocrazyos want to outlaw personal transportation, Automobiles, Airplanes, and Red Meat, etc.

3) The Ocrazyos want to Tax Incomes more and even Wealth to pay for "Free" Health Care, "Free" Public Transportation by High Speed Trains that CROSS OCEANS, "Free" College, Free this, Free that, etc. with massive Tax and WEALTH (Savings and RETIREMENT Funds, mostly by PEOPLE WITHOUT CUSHY GOVERNMENT OR PRIVATE PENSIONS) TAX INCREASES, allegedly on "The Rich", but THEIR "RICH" are constantly dumbed down to include people the REALLY RICH wouldn't give the time of day to.

4) The Ocrazyos and Bern-outs continually investigate and threaten to impeach Trump, thereby derailing his agenda, and doing EVERTHING possible to try to replace him in 2020. All with PHONY allegations.

5) There won't be enough money in the WORLD to pay for all this.

6) There will be a total WORLD economic collapse. Ocrazyos think it will just be the US, but it will be the WORLD.

7) America as we know it will be DESTROYED.

It all starts with a 50 cent per gallon Gas Tax. This has to be stopped. Otherwise, both Michigan's Auto and Tourism Industries will be DESTROYED. AGAIN!

When you take money out of the People's pockets to pay for these schemes, THE ECONOMY COLLAPSES. PURE AND SIMPLE. My solution. HUQE MARIJUANA TAXES! It's legal now anyway, like it or not, so LET'S TAX POT! YOU SMOKE IT. YOU PAY FOR IT THROUGH THE NOSE! HUQE TAXES ON "THE COMMUNITY BONG" businesses, too. MAKE THE DURNED HIPPIES PAY FOR IT!
Last edited by TC Shuts Up on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:23 am

It certainly won't destroy the auto industry, but I agree with you that it will detrimental to tourism. Most tourism in Michigan is by car.

I also agree that the Green New Deal is downright frightening (or more precisely, the fact it's seeing the light of day is downright frightening).

Our dopey politicians in Lansing need to look at the situation as a mathematical formula dealing with transportation by car/truck. What is the "right" amount to tax our citizens and businesses to fund our roads and to maximize passenger & driver safety, and how should those funds be allocated?

As I've stated until I'm blue in the face, most households are paying anywhere from too much to way too much for auto insurance. In SE Michigan, where about one-half of Michigan's population lives, auto insurance rates are 2x to 3x the national average, except 4x to 6x in the city of Detroit.

Even in the larger cities across mid-Michigan + portions of the GR metro, auto insurance premiums exceed the national average by a sizable margin.

The situation should be viewed holistically as a TRANSPORTATION issue, not just a road funding issue or an insurance premiums issue. The two need to be handled JOINTLY.

My proposal?
- Increase the general sales tax from 6.0% to 6.5% to provide additional funding for schools, alleviate impact from removal of the general sales tax from gasoline, and fund catastrophic claims fund payments.
- Catastrophic claims fund will no longer be funded via compulsory auto insurance premiums.
- Allow for no-fault opt out.
- Enforce rate schedules and require accident victims to use other sources of insurance, where available, before receiving medical cost reimbursement from CC fund. All Medicare patients would be required to use Medicare as the primary insurance/reimbursement source, for example.
- No CC fund payouts for auto passengers who are not wearing seatbelts or motorcyclists who are not wearing helmets.
- Raise $3.0 billion in bond proceeds to IMMEDIATELY improve the roads. Bonds would be payable over 25 years. Cost to average Michigan taxpayer would be less than $50/year. Debt service on these bonds would be covered out of incremental sales tax proceeds.
- Raise fuel tax by $0.15 per gallon. Remember, I'm removing the 6.0% sales tax from gasoline, so at $2.50 per gallon, the net impact at the pump is a wash! The $0.15 tax should raise about an additional $1 billion per year in road funding.
- Evaluate CC fund usage following implementation of the above reforms. To the extent unneeded funds are deemed to exist, withdraw those funds and use them on roads & infrastructure.
- Based on analysis of auto insurance premium savings over time, I would include conditional future fuel tax increases. At maximum, taxes would rise an additional $0.30 per gallon over a five-year period.
- Increase state income tax personal exemptions to alleviate impact of sale tax increase on low to moderate income individuals and families. Increasing the homestead credit may be an alternative here.

Under the above proposal, the typical household on the front end would see no change in taxes paid at the pump (and would actually see a decrease if fuel prices rise above $2.50 per gallon), would see a 0.5% increase in sales taxes paid (about $200* per year, although that number will be higher in years where big ticket items are purchased), and would realize at least $350** in annual savings on auto insurance premiums (from removal of CC rider), with that savings potentially being much more thanks to no-fault opt outs and improving roads leading to fewer insurance claims.

*generously assumes $40,000/yr. in spending on taxable items (food & medication are not taxable)
**assumes two car household

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic