Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What If WION did a DX Test and Nobody Came?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

What If WION did a DX Test and Nobody Came?

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:34 pm

What's the deal? WION supposedly did a 4.7 kW omni DX test at Midnight this morning. Did anyone hear it or hear about it? I tuned in about 12:55 AM when I found out, but 1430 sounded like a GY or dead carrier alternately. They were trying to hear it on the West Coast, and told nobody here?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Re: What If WION did a DX Test and Nobody Came?

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:06 pm

What is IPM reduction?

Sounds like they are flattening an widening the frequency response curve. I assume that a 4 dB slant means that the sidebands are asymmetric. They say the C-QUAM generator can correct this somewhat but not that well. That's my interpretation of their comments FWIW.
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:36 am

One of our posters thinks IPM in this case means Incidental Phase Modulation. Sounds logical to me. You don't want incidental phase modulation complicating the phase modulation of the C-QUAM. Sounds like they want WION to sound good with Music. They also said they had an asymmetry in the sidebands.

-Author Unknown

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:14 pm

Believe me, everybody heard the darn test.

My e-mail inbox was FLOODED with dozens of e-mails from people on the MW e-mail lists who heard the test across the country. I'm not doing any AM stuff and am only in the groups for other reasons (my Asian AM projects), so it was a bit of a nuisance to me to open my e-mail and get like 40 e-mails suddenly - though interesting to have it to be a more local station. But yeah, word spread pretty far and wide on this one, though just a day or two before.

Even fellow DXer Bjarne up in Scandinavia's Arctic Circle pulled the station's test in.

I mean, this isn't really a DX group here and activity here is extremely tame, so I wouldn't see why they'd bother telling anyone locally. Of course we can hear them here :). WION is really one of those stations that caters to the true radio fans out there, even with their old jingles and whatnot, which I can hear on their FM here.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:04 am

I hear that WOOD is a big pest now in Scandinavia, along with WXYT. WWJ and WFDF are not as prevalent due to their patterns going pretty much straight North, while the WXYT and WOOD maxima are to the NNE in the Great Circle Direction of Scandinavia. WJBK...WLQV is now an even bigger pest with 10 kW NNE than with 5 kW (2.5 kW w/o SLR), but not as great as the high power stations.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:11 pm

Is there anyplace I can go to find when the DX tests are conducted and by whom ???

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:11 pm

Is there anyplace I can go to find when the DX tests are conducted and by whom ???

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Yes, I would have liked to see if WION would have lit up my STEREO light on my Caddy AMST "UX1" radio? If another test is coming by, let us know.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:56 pm

k8jd wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:11 pm
Same here... I would have loved to try out pulling them in. I am about to put up a good longwire to hook to my AM radios. I have my TM-152 C-QuAM radio just waiting to be hooked back up.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic