Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Canada now investigates 'climate denial'

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
audiophile

Canada now investigates 'climate denial'

Post by audiophile » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:55 pm

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/09/13/ca ... ate-denial

C'mon Canada, pull it together - you're above this attack on free speech.

Trudeau is such a joke.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

NS8401

Re: Canada now investigates 'climate denial'

Post by NS8401 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Trudeau is such a joke.
They are saying clearly false things to promote an agenda. Why should that be allowed to be completely unchecked?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:33 pm

The link is to an opinion piece from the Toronto Sun, the most extreme, right wing rag in the country. It has about as much credibility as Breitbart.

It's about an investigation that was undertaken and then closed when it turned up nothing.

The Trump/Russia investigation might have a similar outcome if Trump would let it proceed unimpeded, instead
of acting like a guilty man.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:17 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 pm
audiophile wrote:

Trudeau is such a joke.
They are saying clearly false things to promote an agenda. Why should that be allowed to be completely unchecked?
What if they did that to the skeptics of global cooling that scientists were claiming in the 1970's? Remember those scientist theorized burning fossil fuel would cause global cooling.

At this point global warming is a theory - no one is completely right or wrong...it's boils down to an opinion.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:32 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:17 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 pm
audiophile wrote:

Trudeau is such a joke.
What if they did that to the skeptics of global cooling that scientists were claiming in the 1970's? Remember those scientist theorized burning fossil fuel would cause global cooling.

At this point global warming is a theory - no one is completely right or wrong...it's boils down to an opinion.
It boils down to all the supporting evidence we have supporting it and all the opinion being on the other side with no science to back it up.

Scientists don't use opinions to determine their theories... they do research into the hypothesis and collect mountains of evidence. Then they publish their findings. The Deniers don't have this arsenal of research and study backing them... they are simply in denial...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Oh what a bunch of baloney! Stop repeating what your prof's said to make you accept their theory, hook, line and sinker.

Some have cooked the books to get grant money... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -data.html

But back to original point, there is not enough proof to say there deniers are a fraud, especially when the other side has been cooking the data.

PS my car emits dramatically less CO2 than yours...I do it because I like to conserve - not because someone forced me to.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:04 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:49 pm
Oh what a bunch of baloney! Stop repeating what your prof's said to make you accept their theory, hook, line and sinker.

Some have cooked the books to get grant money... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -data.html

But back to original point, there is not enough proof to say there deniers are a fraud, especially when the other side has been cooking the data.

PS my car emits dramatically less CO2 than yours...I do it because I like to conserve - not because someone forced me to.
What kind of car is it?

Mine is a SULEV so it's pretty low but I'm sure they've gone even lower since it was built in 2008... I wrecked the Crown Vic last year... no emissions in mind driving one of those certainly...

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:03 pm

And then there is this.... http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/wwf-l ... -1.4290024

I had heard a while back that Cardinals never wintered North of Cincinnati, OH in the 50's. It got me thinking that when I was young I never saw them in the Winter. Now I see them all the time. Either we are sliding South or the climate is shifting North.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Climate change denial is a problem that will die out.

As arctic ice continues to melt causing sea rise, and hurricanes and all other lethal weather events become more powerful, less predictable from past patterns, and destructive, and food production is limited, and island and coastal populations disappear, all of the USA will finally realize that denying climate change is self annihilating.

Of course by that time it will be too late to mitigate deadly consequences.

So you died! So what? You and your progeny perished. Planet earth will be relieved. And will continue without you. Problem extinct.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Can anyone tell me which part of the scientific method is absent from the "settled science" of global warming? Because it's funny to me that we're willing to create things like a carbon tax, carbon credits, subsidies and other cars on this money train when we haven't even subjected it to the same standard as a patent or FDA approval. This thing couldn't even get a dime on Shark Tank if not for the Fear Factor.

(see, I made a joke there)

Of course the fact you can't really prove any of this with the scientific method is what makes it the perfect con. The variables are like saying Irma occured because a butterfly flapped it's wings and pushed a wind gust over the tipping point of a storm.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:05 pm

screen glare wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 pm

As arctic ice continues to melt causing sea rise, and hurricanes and all other lethal weather events become more powerful, less predictable from past patterns, and destructive, and food production is limited, and island and coastal populations disappear, all of the USA will finally realize that denying climate change is self annihilating.

So you died! So what? You and your progeny perished. Planet earth will be relieved. And will continue without you. Problem extinct.
That's right! The world will continue. Man will die out and a few animal species might even return. I would think the earth kooks would applaud.

BTW, can you explain to me how meting ice raises sea levels?

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:25 pm

chromacolor2 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:05 pm
screen glare wrote:

That's right! The world will continue. Man will die out and a few animal species might even return. I would think the earth kooks would applaud.

Melting ice creates more water.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:55 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:25 pm
chromacolor2 wrote:
screen glare wrote:

It's a good bit more complicated than that. In a same water/same water scenario, the melted ice takes up less volume because frozen ice expands. That's why a glass of icewater filled to the rim does not overflow when the ice melts.

The climate change crowd contends that the frozen ice is freshwater, while the ocean contains saltwater (of a different density). Then there are other factors involved such as average sea temps, reflectivity of ice vs. water affecting the temperature of the ocean, expansion of the water due to temp changes. I don't claim to have the answer on this, but if you delve into it, you'll see there is much debate even among scientists with new papers being published all the time.

My point is that the alarmists are counting on the average person's lack of understanding + fear as a motivator + great visuals of melting ice to sell the idea of:

Which of course sells the idea of de-industrialization for the west, and 1st world guilt allowing it to continue in the east Asia until they "catch up". This wealth shift is a good place for 1%'ers to make a buck, like betting short on stocks.

For this I'm sure people will tell me to take off my foil hat. But if I told the same crowd that GMO seeds are designed to put the food supply in the hands of the 1%, or that the oil industry kills anyone who invents a 200 MPG carburetor, I'd be hailed as a fellow traveler.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:37 pm

chromacolor2 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:55 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:25 pm
chromacolor2 wrote:
screen glare wrote:

It's a good bit more complicated than that. In a same water/same water scenario, the melted ice takes up less volume because frozen ice expands. That's why a glass of icewater filled to the rim does not overflow when the ice melts.

The climate change crowd contends that the frozen ice is freshwater, while the ocean contains saltwater (of a different density). Then there are other factors involved such as average sea temps, reflectivity of ice vs. water affecting the temperature of the ocean, expansion of the water due to temp changes. I don't claim to have the answer on this, but if you delve into it, you'll see there is much debate even among scientists with new papers being published all the time.

My point is that the alarmists are counting on the average person's lack of understanding + fear as a motivator + great visuals of melting ice to sell the idea of:

Which of course sells the idea of de-industrialization for the west, and 1st world guilt allowing it to continue in the east Asia until they "catch up". This wealth shift is a good place for 1%'ers to make a buck, like betting short on stocks.

For this I'm sure people will tell me to take off my foil hat. But if I told the same crowd that GMO seeds are designed to put the food supply in the hands of the 1%, or that the oil industry kills anyone who invents a 200 MPG carburetor, I'd be hailed as a fellow traveler.
Just remember that the only real redistribution on the planet is upward... but skeptics are a necessity too...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic