Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2892
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:19 pm

I've said it all along. Here is the proof.
Trump sides with Democrats, agrees to three-month debt-limit increase



President Donald Trump forged a surprising deal with Democrats in Congress on Wednesday to extend the U.S. debt limit and provide government funding until Dec. 15, embracing his political adversaries and blindsiding fellow Republicans in a rare bipartisan accord.

Trump, living up to his reputation for unpredictability, met at the White House with congressional leaders from both parties and overruled Republicans and U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, who wanted a longer-term debt-limit extension rather than the three-month Democratic proposal the president embraced.

"We could have done a one-year deal today," Mnuchin told reporters aboard Air Force One later in the day en route back to Washington from an event in North Dakota where Trump spoke about taxes.

Mnuchin said Trump chose a short-term deal to keep his options open on possibly raising military funding later this year, suggesting a longer-term government funding deal might have blocked that.

Trump is very focused on military spending, "particularly with what's going on in North Korea and other parts of the world today," Mnuchin said. "The president wasn't willing to give up his need for additional military spending."

If passed by the Republican-led Congress, the three-month agreement would avert an unprecedented default on U.S. government debt, keep the government funded at the outset of the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1 and provide aid to victims of Hurricane Harvey.

"It was a really good moment of some bipartisanship and getting things done," top Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer said.

Less than an hour before the meeting, Republican House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan had called the Democratic proposal that Trump later embraced a "ridiculous and disgraceful" idea that would "play politics with the debt ceiling."

Even with the three-month extension of the debt limit, a Senate Republican aide told reporters that nothing in the tentative deal would stop the Treasury Department from using its powers to extend the deadline, depending on revenue flow. In the past, the debt limit deadline has been extended for several months under those powers.

'NEEDED TO COME TOGETHER'

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, overridden by Trump during the meeting, said he would bring the deal to the Senate floor for a vote.

"The president can speak for himself, but his feeling was that we needed to come together, to not create a picture of divisiveness at a time of genuine national crisis," McConnell told reporters.

The agreement was an uncommon instance of bipartisan compromise since Trump took office in January. Washington has suffered through bitter partisanship that has at times left the U.S. capital dysfunctional under Trump and his Democratic predecessor, Barack Obama. Trump had tangled repeatedly with Schumer and top House Democrat Nancy Pelosi.

"We had a very good meeting with Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer," Trump, a wealthy businessman who as a candidate touted his deal-making skills, told reporters aboard Air Force One, without mentioning McConnell or Ryan, with whom he has had fraught relations.

"We agreed to a three-month extension on debt ceiling, which they consider to be sacred, very important. Always we'll agree on debt ceiling, automatically because of the importance of it," Trump said.

Conservative groups were aghast, accusing Trump of caving in to the Democrats rather than insisting on spending cuts to accompany the debt ceiling increase, and some hard-line Republicans expressed opposition to it.

Republican leaders and Mnuchin pushed in the meeting for an 18-month debt limit hike, then floated six months, but Pelosi and Schumer held firm to their three-month proposal and Trump sided with them, according to people familiar with the meeting.

The party in power, in this case Republicans, often argues for the longest debt limit increase as possible for two reasons. First, it protects members of Congress from casting multiple votes on the politically unpopular legislation over a short period of time, especially in the run-up to the 2018 congressional elections. Second, it helps stabilize markets.

For minority Democrats, whose votes are needed to pass debt ceiling increases, they could potentially use the debt limit vote later in the year as leverage to win concessions on a tax overhaul package that Trump badly wants to advance.

Even though Republicans control the White House and both chambers of Congress, Trump has yet to win passage of any major legislation, with Democrats typically united against him.

The House on Wednesday approved roughly $8-billion in initial emergency aid for relief and rebuilding after Hurricane Harvey, which tore into Texas on Aug. 25, with the measure now going to the Senate.

"Our No. 1 priority was getting funding for Harvey," Mnuchin said. "To get the funding for Harvey, we needed to extend the debt limit."

STOCKS, DOLLAR RISE

U.S. shares rose and the dollar gained against the safe-haven Japanese yen as word of the deal helped mitigate investor concerns about North Korea and a major hurricane barreling toward Florida. The news also lifted the yield on benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury notes after it had fallen to a near 10-month low at 2.054 per cent.

The Treasury Department has said the ceiling must be raised in the next few weeks. If not, the government would be unable to borrow more money or pay its bills, including its debt payments. That could hurt the U.S. credit rating, cause financial turmoil, harm the economy and possibly trigger a recession.

Representative Kevin Cramer, a Republican from North Dakota, was aboard Air Force One when he heard about the short-term deal. He told reporters on the plane: "I will tell you that I gasped when I heard it."

He said the deal would be a "tough sell" for House Republicans but that some would "warm up to the idea" when they learned more about it.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/w ... ndmail.com&

bmw
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 pm

I think this more of Trump giving the middle finger to Congressional Republicans for not passing any legislation in support of his campaign promises. Sort of like a message of "you don't want to work with me? Fine, I'll go to the other side."

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2892
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Trump tweets reassurance to ‘Dreamers’ at Pelosi’s urging


House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi urged President Donald Trump Thursday to tweet reassurances to the immigrants who benefit from a program his administration is ending. And the president obliged — in the latest instance of Trump doing the bidding of leaders of the opposition.

The president tweeted, "For all of those (DACA) that are concerned about your status during the 6 month period, you have nothing to worry about - No action!"

He was referring to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, which President Barack Obama created through administrative action in 2012. Trump's administration said Tuesday it is rescinding the program but giving Congress six months to act on it.

Notwithstanding his tweet, the nearly 800,000 immigrants who obtained temporary work permits and deportation protections via DACA cannot necessarily rest easy. Any of them whose protections expire within the next six months have until early October to reapply, and others face an uncertain future. It's not clear whether Congress will actually be able to solve the problem in six months — or what Trump will do if lawmakers don't act.

Pelosi told reporters at her weekly news conference that Trump has indicated his support and willingness to sign into law the Dream Act, legislation that would give a path to legalization to the immigrants brought to the country as children.

"We made it very clear in the course of the conversation that the priority was to pass the Dream Act, that we wanted to do it, obviously it has to be bipartisan, the president said he supports that, he would sign it, but we have to get it passed, and that's a high priority," Pelosi said.

Shortly after Trump's tweet appeared Thursday morning, Pelosi told fellow Democrats at a closed-door meeting that she had spoken with the president and asked him to send it, in order to make clear to the so-called "Dreamers" that they wouldn't be subject to deportation during the six-month window.

At her weekly news conference, Pelosi told reporters, "I was reporting to my colleagues, I said, 'This is what I asked the president to do and boom, boom the tweet appeared."'

The development came just a day after Trump ignored the recommendations of GOP House and Senate leaders and sided with Democrats Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York in favour of a three-month extension of the government's borrowing limit. Republicans had wanted a much longer extension to protect conservative lawmakers from having to cast the politically toxic vote again before next year's midterm elections.

On immigration, Trump is navigating politically tricky waters. Some of his Republican voters want a hard line on illegal immigration. Yet others in his administration and a majority of Americans support protected status for children brought to the country illegally by their parents.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/w ... ndmail.com&

906XJ
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:19 am

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by 906XJ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Surely the Russians are involved somehow.

NS8401
Posts: 7361
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by NS8401 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:42 pm

906XJ wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:35 pm
Surely the Russians are involved somehow.
He's in it for whatever is convenient... the anti-politician is in reality the ultimate example of what his adherents hate.

chromacolor2
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 am

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by chromacolor2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:30 pm

I've been a Trump backer before Pence (and have the bumper sticker to prove it) and this deal doesn't bother me at all. I've always seen Trump as a 3rd party President. This cheats the dems and Puff Daddy out of sound bites for a while, and it's a nice FU to the Republican leadership. Those pukes wanted a longer deal to get them past dealing with it until the next election, pure and simple. Incidentally, a point Rush made today and I fully agree..

In The Bleachers
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:15 am
Location: Nankin Township

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by In The Bleachers » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 pm

chromacolor2 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:30 pm
... I've always seen Trump as a 3rd party President ...
I can't say I disagree with this, although I've never thought of it that way.
Many of his actions seem to appeal to the silent majority of the country. Many actions are outside the box of either party.
Phooey on privilege, phooey on preferential treatment, phooey on breaking laws just to win votes.
And as far as the Dreamers, and Illegal Immigration in general, there's that word. Illegal.
If we start not enforcing or looking the other way of laws that are on the books, no matter how noble the cause may be, what path are we heading down?

The ball is now in Congress' court on changing the laws about Dreamers. Donald has given them the window. Change the law.

NS8401
Posts: 7361
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by NS8401 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:32 pm

In The Bleachers wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 pm
chromacolor2 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:30 pm
... I've always seen Trump as a 3rd party President ...
I can't say I disagree with this, although I've never thought of it that way.
Many of his actions seem to appeal to the silent majority of the country. Many actions are outside the box of either party.
Phooey on privilege, phooey on preferential treatment, phooey on breaking laws just to win votes.
And as far as the Dreamers, and Illegal Immigration in general, there's that word. Illegal.
If we start not enforcing or looking the other way of laws that are on the books, no matter how noble the cause may be, what path are we heading down?

The ball is now in Congress' court on changing the laws about Dreamers. Donald has given them the window. Change the law.
Then you need Ghandi or Jesus cause Trump ain't it... he's the epitome of everything he's ever preached against...

Nobody ever talks about how dumb the debt ceiling is and how it defies the laws of mathematics... they really should.

++++
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by ++++ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Reminds me of a Ross perot or Jesse Ventura.
Nobody wants to work with him, so.....

NS8401
Posts: 7361
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by NS8401 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:37 pm

++++ wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:08 pm
Reminds me of a Ross perot or Jesse Ventura.
Nobody wants to work with him, so.....
When your ideas aren't rooted in reality...

screen glare
Posts: 1342
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by screen glare » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:02 am

Trump never does anything unless it enhances his image of himself. And one never knows what - from day to day - he will determine his self-image needs - to meet his mentally disordered standard.

In his self evaluation - there are no principles, or integrity, or ethics to stand in the way of him obtaining what he believes is needed to achieve his image perfection.

He may need a war with an individual or country or idea, or anyone or thing that will cause him to - in his sick mind - look "great".

It might not make sense to those around him who are mentally healthy. But to him - his volitile choices and knee jerk decisions and reactions make perfect sense.

And it's funny to watch people justify his off behaviors and remarks - as though they're normal.

User avatar
1027BrianFM
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:01 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:16 am

His personal behavior aside, Trump is really neither really left or right. He's a populist albeit right leaning. I remember Trump saying nice things about Australia's healthcare system, which I think he had a valid point on.

If The GOP wanted a bitter partisan like Ted Cruz, they didn't get it.

906XJ
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:19 am

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by 906XJ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:09 am

Nope, pretty sure it's the Russians.

Perhaps meatgazer has a penis theory to confirm that it was the Russians.

Russia.

NS8401
Posts: 7361
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by NS8401 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:06 am

1027BrianFM wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:16 am
His personal behavior aside, Trump is really neither really left or right. He's a populist albeit right leaning. I remember Trump saying nice things about Australia's healthcare system, which I think he had a valid point on.

If The GOP wanted a bitter partisan like Ted Cruz, they didn't get it.
The closest recent politician to him is... Silvio Berlusconi... not a role model by any stretch...

chromacolor2
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 am

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by chromacolor2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 pm

He is Ross Perot with a NYC attitude. Not an ideologue, but a disruptor. Perhaps an unvarnished, uncivil, populist disruptor. Both sides have no one to blame but themselves for his election. But of course, politicians are the LAST people to take responsibility for their actions so it's either Russians, Racism, Rednecks, Reactionaries, etc. who elected him.

A peaceful (well, mostly peaceful) revolution is exactly what is supposed to happen when "the people" are fed up with their malfunctioning government.

NS8401
Posts: 7361
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by NS8401 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:05 pm

chromacolor2 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 pm
He is Ross Perot with a NYC attitude. Not an ideologue, but a disruptor. Perhaps an unvarnished, uncivil, populist disruptor. Both sides have no one to blame but themselves for his election. But of course, politicians are the LAST people to take responsibility for their actions so it's either Russians, Racism, Rednecks, Reactionaries, etc. who elected him.

A peaceful (well, mostly peaceful) revolution is exactly what is supposed to happen when "the people" are fed up with their malfunctioning government.
Isn't a peaceful revolution supposed to be more obvious and have much more of a defined leader? Shouldn't it be capable of getting important things done? If this is a revolution then it's a short lived and hopeless one...

chromacolor2
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 am

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by chromacolor2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:05 pm
chromacolor2 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 pm
He is Ross Perot with a NYC attitude. Not an ideologue, but a disruptor. Perhaps an unvarnished, uncivil, populist disruptor. Both sides have no one to blame but themselves for his election. But of course, politicians are the LAST people to take responsibility for their actions so it's either Russians, Racism, Rednecks, Reactionaries, etc. who elected him.

A peaceful (well, mostly peaceful) revolution is exactly what is supposed to happen when "the people" are fed up with their malfunctioning government.
Isn't a peaceful revolution supposed to be more obvious and have much more of a defined leader? Shouldn't it be capable of getting important things done? If this is a revolution then it's a short lived and hopeless one...
Ideally, yes.

Certainly ol' Ross was a good bit more "Presidential" than Trump (probably wouldn't be tweeting either.), but look how he was lampooned and destroyed by both parties and the MSM. Big ears, short, uses charts n' graphs.

Image

You think Trump wasn't watching that? Oprah was asking him to run back in the 80s.

Image

So he knew he'd have to go on the offensive. He knew not to go into detail, just speak in slogans. Mostly he knew he's have to car-jack a major party and smash n' grab it into the oval office. A refined, intellectual revolutionary would not win. (even if we folk who actually are discussing politics on a Saturday night would vote for him.) And if you don't win, it doesn't matter. History will forget you. I didn't even know ol' Ross was still alive until I looked for his photo.

NS8401
Posts: 7361
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Proof That Trump is a Closet Liberal

Post by NS8401 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:56 pm

chromacolor2 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:05 pm
chromacolor2 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 pm
He is Ross Perot with a NYC attitude. Not an ideologue, but a disruptor. Perhaps an unvarnished, uncivil, populist disruptor. Both sides have no one to blame but themselves for his election. But of course, politicians are the LAST people to take responsibility for their actions so it's either Russians, Racism, Rednecks, Reactionaries, etc. who elected him.

A peaceful (well, mostly peaceful) revolution is exactly what is supposed to happen when "the people" are fed up with their malfunctioning government.
Isn't a peaceful revolution supposed to be more obvious and have much more of a defined leader? Shouldn't it be capable of getting important things done? If this is a revolution then it's a short lived and hopeless one...
Ideally, yes.

Certainly ol' Ross was a good bit more "Presidential" than Trump (probably wouldn't be tweeting either.), but look how he was lampooned and destroyed by both parties and the MSM. Big ears, short, uses charts n' graphs.

Image

You think Trump wasn't watching that? Oprah was asking him to run back in the 80s.

Image

So he knew he'd have to go on the offensive. He knew not to go into detail, just speak in slogans. Mostly he knew he's have to car-jack a major party and smash n' grab it into the oval office. A refined, intellectual revolutionary would not win. (even if we folk who actually are discussing politics on a Saturday night would vote for him.) And if you don't win, it doesn't matter. History will forget you. I didn't even know ol' Ross was still alive until I looked for his photo.
Good point... I don't think he needed all the cultural isms he uses... he could have just as easily done without it, ran as a populist for everybody and have a 60% or more approval rating now... lots of people like most of his stuff and don't like the Muslim bans and talk of walls and us vs. them... kind of a silly tactic unless the theory that he ran for publicity and the thing took off is correct...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests