Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fm translators

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
CK-722

Re: Fm translators

Post by CK-722 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:45 pm

The problem is that many stations didn't know if and when they would get a translator CP. So some applied for and ended up with two and some with zero in the virtual translator lottery. There are some situations where the terrain isn't good for one station or translator in a certain area but good for the other, and vice versa. Sometimes, two at the same location have DAs that go in different directions. Its a stopgap solution for many AM stations. The smaller the market, the smaller the AM service area, the more the translators can be useful. In large markets, if an AM has a large service area, the translator can be of questionable value, especially if it only serves part of the market, and or is duplicated by another translator for another station in the same market. The Detroit Area is about the WORST for FM interference now, because of IBOC, translators, and Canadian duplication of frequencies. Out of nowhere, multiple stations showed up in Canada. Though we pointed out that as long as the signal didn't cross the border, they could duplicate and jam all the Detroit stations like Cuba does Florida stations. It is foolish to think that there won't be cross border listening, and Windsor can't support all those new stations and translators. Some are wasted on very small demographic and language groups.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:36 pm

Chris1980 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:19 pm
I have no issue with Smile's programming. Their personalities are good, and they certainly are not cookie-cutter musically. They have a much bigger gold library than you'll find on K-Love, FLR, etc. I'd almost call them a CCM version of "Jack." I just don't understand the need for multiple signals with identical coverage areas in markets like Alpena or Petoskey. Much of the Lansing area can also pick up 88.5 as well as 88.1 (I know 88.5 extends a tad farther west but it still seems like a lot of overlap to me). It seems to me some of those duplicate signals would be a good place for the Positive Country format they have on 103.7 in the Thumb. I will admit Smile is not nearly as bad as EMF in that regard.
Smile FM does a good job of inserting local elements into their regional format market-by-market (weather, PSA's, etc). I've had a chance to view their operation and it's quite impressive how they make it all work. EMF has a different philosophy. K-Love and Air1 are positioned as national radio stations with a network of relays for the uniform feed. They're not interested in operating local or regional stations. Their interest is acquiring transmitters for their national stations. The money they save through implementing this model would explain why they can purchase licenses and transmitters for cash-up-front. The seller is usually willing to offer the buyer a deal on the purchase price for a cash sale as it saves them extra filings and tends to get FCC approval quicker.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:23 am

Been a while since anyone's mentioned anything about this. A query of the FCC database indicates there are no currently pending FM translator applications related to Lansing. Only active app appears to be an FM translator for WJML in Petoskey.

Wonder if the applications were either withdrawn or wiped out.

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:36 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:23 am
Been a while since anyone's mentioned anything about this. A query of the FCC database indicates there are no currently pending FM translator applications related to Lansing. Only active app appears to be an FM translator for WJML in Petoskey.

Wonder if the applications were either withdrawn or wiped out.
These are no longer pending applications, but are now listed as Construction Permits:

MacDonald with a CP to build WXLA translator on 93.3. (W227DO) CP expires 1/10/2021.

Townsquare has CP to build WVFN translator on 102.3. (W272EB) CP expires 1/22/21.

Townsquare has CP to build WJIM (AM) translator at 107.7. (W299CR) CP expires 1/23/21.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:03 am

Thanks for the info Ed. The call-sign search made it easier to find.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic