Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Sheriff Joe

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
Turkeytop

Sheriff Joe

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Surprised I haven't seen any discussion or debate here about the merits of Sheriff Joe's pardon.

I know no one wants my opinion, so I won't give it. But I'd be curious to know how the regular members here feel about it.

NS8401

Re: Sheriff Joe

Post by NS8401 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:26 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 pm
Surprised I haven't seen any discussion or debate here about the merits of Sheriff Joe's pardon.

I know no one wants my opinion, so I won't give it. But I'd be curious to know how the regular members here feel about it.
I'd like your opinion.

Frankly though this just adds to the Obstruction case...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:48 am

Sheriff Joe dealt with a problem in his area, possibly too aggressively - but he was a target of demo political machine, so the pardon is not surprising.

Now that the shoe on the other foot, the sanctuary cities have bulls-eyes on them and they are no better because they ignore federal laws too.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:26 am

audiophile wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:48 am
Sheriff Joe dealt with a problem in his area, possibly too aggressively - but he was a target of demo political machine, so the pardon is not surprising.

Now that the shoe on the other foot, the sanctuary cities have bulls-eyes on them and they are no better because they ignore federal laws too.
While that may be true, Arpaio defied court orders to stop what he was doing. There haven't been any orders to get sanctuary cities to stop. Sheriff Joe dealt with it by humiliating and tormenting prisoners... how that deals with anything except his departments lack of lawsuits for the week is beyond me. Remember the voters of his extremely RED county threw him out after they got tired of hearing about his antics.

Please avoid whataboutism. It's irritating and not a good crutch for an argument.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:28 pm

AZ has a problem with some of it's political people. I had a relative who had to file a sex harassment case against her County Supervisor. He then had the police more or less stalk her till the case came up. The power some of these folks have was never voted on, just taken on. She won the case when the deputy was forced by the court to show the telephoto pictures he took on her porch and other places and the number of times he tailed her going to the store and pulling her over on a bogus traffic stop on the way home so the ice cream would melt in the 112° temp.

When My folks first moved out there the town only had a small office with some sheriff's people there. There was a string of B&E's that wasn't being addressed. Then one night a stranger who fit the MO was found outside town 'roughed up'. There were no more problems. I questioned my Dad and he nonchalantly said that one of the ex-mob boys who retired to the town, "made a call...." They don't refer to it as the Wild West for nothing.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:34 pm

Trump was just trying out his Pardon training wheels. I expect he'll be granting a lot of pardons in the coming months.

Bill Clinton waited til his final day in office, to pardon some of the greatest scumbags in the country.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:34 pm
Trump was just trying out his Pardon training wheels. I expect he'll be granting a lot of pardons in the coming months.

Bill Clinton waited til his final day in office, to pardon some of the greatest scumbags in the country.
It's being challenged in circuit court in Arizona and has a chance at reversal...

He is toast if he mass pardons these folks. Mueller is going through New York State to get Manafort. Trump can't pardon state offenses, he will flip Manafort on Flynn who he will then flip on the big fish. Mueller is a pro out gunning a team of rank amateurs...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Trump needs also to remember that anyone he pardons can be compelled to give evidence against Trump or others without the protection of the fifth amendment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic