Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Canada Has its Own Shameful Past

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
Turkeytop

Canada Has its Own Shameful Past

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Ontario teachers’ union wants John A. Macdonald elementary schools renamed

A call from an Ontario teacher’s union to remove the name of Canada’s first prime minister from all public elementary schools in the province is being heralded as a bold move by at least one Indigenous group, which says it is a necessary step in the path to reconciliation.

The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario passed a motion at its annual meeting last week that called on all school districts to rename schools and buildings named after Sir John A. Macdonald.

The union said it wants the name change because of what it calls Macdonald’s role as the “architect of genocide against Indigenous Peoples” and the impact that has on the relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous students, parents and educators.

Related: Trudeau renames Langevin Block building out of respect for Indigenous peoples

Macdonald was prime minister during the time the federal government approved the first residential schools in the country.

“When the school is on the reserve the child lives with its parents, who are savages; he is surrounded by savages,” Macdonald told the House of Commons in 1883. “Though he may learn to read and write he is simply a savage who can read and write. Indian children should be withdrawn as much as possible from the parental influence.”

Thousands died in residential schools, buried in unmarked graves. Others were sexually and physically abused, returning to their communities alienated from their culture and haunted by demons that have been passed on through generations.

An activist from Idle No More, an Indigenous rights movement that aims to raise awareness on Indigenous issues, said the ETFO’s call for action on Macdonald’s name being used for schools was a move that was needed.

“I thought it was pretty bold, but a pretty progressive move,” said Tori Cress, a member of Idle No More’s Ontario Chapter.

Cress said removing Macdonald’s name from schools could help introduce more Indigenous education that focuses on Indigenous suffering at the hands of Canadian figures.

She said some people might find such a development hard to swallow, but added that people who equate name change with “erasing history” are wrong.

“It’s not erasing, it’s putting it in its proper place,” said Cress. “I don’t see how we should be glorifying folks like this in such a public place as schools.”

Felipe Pareja, the teacher who brought forward the motion, said it was contested at the union meeting before being voted on.

“It was a healthy debate, it was by no means one-sided,” said Pareja, a french teacher in the Peel District School Board. “But ultimately when the vote was called, the floor voted clearly to adopt the motion.”

Pareja said Macdonald’s part in establishing the Indian Act, as well as his part in Indigenous peoples’ suffering when their land was being taken for Canada’s national railway are “darker” sides of history that need to be addressed.

“There’s no doubt, they’re not comfortable things to talk about, but it doesn’t make them any less necessary to talk about and to acknowledge,” said Pareja. “This really is something that we see as being in the context of (truth and reconciliation) more than anything else.”

Pareja also said it might be difficult for Indigenous students and teachers to go to a school named after someone who he says was complicit in the genocide of Indigenous people.

The ETFO passed Pareja’s motion as a recommendation, which means it will now be up to different school boards across Ontario to decide whether they implement the change or not.

The Peel District School Board said it will be reaching out to the Ministry of Education for insight on the matter.

“As always, we will take what has been raised seriously and review the matter with our Indigenous leaders, staff, trustees, community partners, the Ontario Public School Boards’ Association and provincial colleagues,” it said in a statement.

The ETFO’s call comes after a student-led campaign at Toronto’s Ryerson University last month pushed for the school to change its name out of respect for residential school survivors.

The downtown university is named for Egerton Ryerson, a pioneer of public education in Ontario who is widely believed to have helped shape residential school policy through his ideas on education for Indigenous children.

And in June, the name of founding father Hector-Louis Langevin was stripped from the building that houses the Prime Minister’s Office on Parliament Hill. Langevin argued for a separate school system with a specific mandate to assimilate Indigenous children.

Pareja said the Macdonald issue, if acted upon by school boards, wouldn’t be the first case of a motion in the teachers’ union leading to change.

Last year, he said a motion passed by the federation led to Chinguacousy Secondary School in Brampton, Ont. changing their sports teams’ names from the “Chinguacousy Chiefs,” because it was seen as hurtful to Indigenous people.

“There’s no attempt to erase or rewrite anything,” said Pareja. “This is about seeing history from a much more fulsome perspective, and considering how it can impact people differently.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e36076966/

windsor

Re: Canada Has its Own Shameful Past

Post by windsor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:53 pm

No one can put themselves from 2017 into the time of 1883 not even the fucking marxists that are holier than thou at the moment......

Sir john A Macdonald will always be our first great prime minister .........

I will not accept a 10 dollar bill without his picture on it for the sake of the SJW mother fuckers..............

The native indians should ask their band chief's for a copy of their bank statements, before looking at injustice from the 1800's.........

Ask the marxists to look at how many people were killed during their revolutions in Russia,China,Vietnam, cuba in the last 100 yrs...............

And lastly turkey.........go fuck yourself and rest of your kind........................
Dave Rexroth: Detroit's NEW #1 for the Most Accurate Weather

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 pm

What a nasty thing to say to the most civil member of this forum
Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Hey Vic why dont you wakeup, his ideology which he pushes like slick willie is the nasty part not my words.......

How are you likeing whats going on in your united States right now??? Its that ideology that is his religion that is permeating your country......

And guess what Vic, there's more to come..............

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 pm

What I posted was not my opinion. It was a copy of a factual news story from The Globe and Mail. The Globe and Mail is not some left wing rag. It's Canada's most respected newspaper. Although it is Conservative and right leaning I read it because I believe it has greater journalistic integrity than any other paper in the country on the left or on the right.

For our friend Windsor, anything more progressive than Mein Kamph is Marxist propaganda.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:55 pm

dont make me laugh turkey.....you know like i do the whole of Canadian media is run by the left.If your not one of them you dont have a job.The Globe&mail is a left wing rag just like the rest of them.

Journalistic integrity.....LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a hypocrite you are still chiming in on the american political scene when you months ago along with your comrade MW lambasted me for commenting where its non of my business you both told me................

And btw it wasnt factual just more left wing fake news............whom ever is in power decides history..........the americans are just finding that out.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:08 pm

windsor wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:55 pm
dont make me laugh turkey.....you know like i do the whole of Canadian media is run by the left.If your not one of them you dont have a job.The Globe&mail is a left wing rag just like the rest of them.

what a hypocrite you are still chiming in on the american political scene when you months ago along with your comrade MW lambasted me for commenting where its non of my business you both told me................

And btw it wasnt factual just more left wing fake news............whom ever is in power decides history..........the americans are just finding that out.
The Globe and Mail is Canada's leading cheerleader for Capitalism. The Bay Street crowd loves it.

Calling me a hypocrite for commenting here where it's none of my business loses me. This is a Canadian story. One that none of us can feel proud of.

I have never seen anyone on this board who is more critical of Canada than you are. You never say anything positive about your country.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:08 pm
windsor wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:55 pm

The Globe and Mail is Canada's leading cheerleader for Capitalism. The Bay Street crowd loves it.

Calling me a hypocrite for commenting here where it's none of my business loses me. This is a Canadian story. One that none of us can feel proud of.

I have never seen anyone on this board who is more critical of Canada than you are. You never say anything positive about your country.
Just as I have said....your smoother than old whore on Dundas St...........................

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:39 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 pm
TT and I have a good rapport, but your comments struck me as odd - IE Pot calling kettle black?
Vic Doucette wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:18 pm
TheForce wrote:I got out of work just past 10pm tonight and was flipping around the dial on the car stereo. I tuned to Z93 and they were talking about penises, sex toys, getting hard, and other sexual things. They had people calling in and whatnot. WTF??
Odd sentiment from a man who rails against his freedom of speech and expression being restricted. Then again, because you clearly don't understand the First Amendment, perhaps it's not odd at all.
Vic Doucette wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:25 pm
I don't apologize.
Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:23 pm
All four cheeks, Matt.
Vic Doucette wrote:
I refuse to read anything the little maggot writes.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:28 am

An international fight between the Nazi's and the Commies breaking out on the Buzzboard?
I don't know whether to wring my hands or make some popcorn.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:35 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:39 am
Vic Doucette wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 pm
TT and I have a good rapport, but your comments struck me as odd - IE Pot calling kettle black?
Vic Doucette wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:18 pm
TheForce wrote:I got out of work just past 10pm tonight and was flipping around the dial on the car stereo. I tuned to Z93 and they were talking about penises, sex toys, getting hard, and other sexual things. They had people calling in and whatnot. WTF??
Odd sentiment from a man who rails against his freedom of speech and expression being restricted. Then again, because you clearly don't understand the First Amendment, perhaps it's not odd at all.
Vic Doucette wrote:
I don't apologize.
Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:23 pm
All four cheeks, Matt.
Vic Doucette wrote:
I refuse to read anything the little maggot writes.
I didn't claim I was civil.
Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:46 am

It is noted...

Oh and bring the popcorn :-)
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:57 am

This thread is over.

I surrender to the profound depth of his knowledge of Canadian history, his superior intellect, and his razor sharp wit.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:57 am
This thread is over.
Over? Nothing's over till we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
:blink
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:44 am

Well, if the thread isn't over, the story is. Ontario's Liberal Premier, Kathleen Wynne, for whom Windsor feels such great admiration, once again has taken his side. She says the school names will not be changed.

Sadly, Windsor's carnal lust for the woman, must go unrequited. She's already married, to another woman.

He'll have to be content with his Dundas St whores.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Sort of, but not exactly. Yes., I do wade into threads here and give my opinion on matters that may be none of my business.

The way I look at it, I spend almost half of my time in the U.S., most of my income is from the U.S. in $ U.S., I pay taxes in the U.S. and I own property in the U.S. I figure that entitles me, at least, to an opinion. Yet, whenever anyone lets me know my opinion is unwelcome, I always back off. I did it just last week on one of the Trump threads.

Windsor, on the other hand, starts his own threads. Usually angry, profanity laced tirades, scolding Americans for your too liberal ways which, when you think about it, is almost laughable, coming from a Canadian.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:18 pm

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:49 am

Students will start turning in "No Name" assignments.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:40 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 am

Over? Nothing's over till we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
:blink
Germans???

(Insert next line from movie here)
~Repeal And Replace, Mitch Mcconnell.~

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:26 pm

Forget it, he's rolling.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic