Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Vote this Congress out in 2018

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
1027BrianFM

Vote this Congress out in 2018

Post by 1027BrianFM » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 am

I think John McCain was right when he gave his speech to the senate, returning after his diagnosis of cancer. This congress is getting nothing done. First off, The wall aint happening. Anyone who believes Mexico is gonna pay for it is dreaming, Like George Strait Sings " I got some ocean front property in Arizona".

Repeal of the ACA, I would have voted against this bill back when it was passed but you just cant throw people to wind. You need a back up plan before you pull the rug out. If the ACA does collapse, the GOP owns it.

The GOP has had the congress for 6 1/2 years now and what have they done? Whats one useful thing that has come out of it? I'm not suggesting "oh put the dems back in charge and all is good" but I am saying these clowns have had 6 1/2 years and I see no reason to keep them in power.

Matt

Re: Vote this Congress out in 2018

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 am

If you are saying vote this Congress out, you are absolutely saying put Nancy and Chuck back in power. No thanks, I'll pass. Gridlock is not a bad thing, and we're lucky to get it with the less awful party in complete control. Sure, Trump is an ass, but he's still a significant improvement over Obama. Hopefully they can pass meaningful tax reform, but if they don't, I'm ok with not having a social justice warrior in the WH. Judicial nominations have been top notch.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:24 am

Amen. Less is more!
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 am

Trump is an ass, but he's still a significant improvement over Obama.

There it is again. That old conservative trick of defending Trump by comparing him to Obama, Forget about Obama. Obama is history.

Instead, try comparing Trump to some other, distinguished and very able Republicans. Trump isn't even in the same league.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:19 am

Matt wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 am
If you are saying vote this Congress out, you are absolutely saying put Nancy and Chuck back in power. No thanks, I'll pass. Gridlock is not a bad thing, and we're lucky to get it with the less awful party in complete control. Sure, Trump is an ass, but he's still a significant improvement over Obama. Hopefully they can pass meaningful tax reform, but if they don't, I'm ok with not having a social justice warrior in the WH. Judicial nominations have been top notch.
So you'd rather we just sit and rot, falling further behind the world in every measure except guns per capita? You owe it to yourself to put the bong down and step slowly away...

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:39 pm

LOL NS. I see it more as a check on power, not necessary because I see them as the great white horse or even see them as great. Its been nothing but obstruction and gridlock. Yes, we are falling behind. I see a nation in decline and a returned Gilded age. Sounds harsh but I think its time to step back and re think a lot of things.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:58 pm

I won't compare him to Obama... I thinks he's better than any recent R nomination and better than either of the Bushes. Perhaps not in terms of speech-delivery, but in terms of anything that matters.

For those who are worried about "falling behind the rest of the world", I submit that most of those oft-used metrics are cooked-up and that the ones that matter (like literacy, violent crime, etc.) improve to class-leading when Democrat-controlled counties are removed from statistics... and then you have the fact that none of those "problems" emerged in the past 200 days. How many should be solved locally?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:09 pm

2018!!! Can't arrive soon enough.

Vote the far right - especially religous right - out! Keep the middle of the roaders in both parties. Keep liberal progressives, as well.

Compromise MUST come back in fashion. It must be elevated and practiced. Compromise can no longer be a dirty word.

Compromise went out the window when "religious right" (who are neither, but wolves in sheep's clothing) lawmakers got
elected.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:56 am

There are not too many moderates left in either party, that needs to change. The religious Reich need to go and weirdo conspiracy theorists.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:19 am

chromacolor2 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:58 pm
I won't compare him to Obama... I thinks he's better than any recent R nomination and better than either of the Bushes. Perhaps not in terms of speech-delivery, but in terms of anything that matters.

For those who are worried about "falling behind the rest of the world", I submit that most of those oft-used metrics are cooked-up and that the ones that matter (like literacy, violent crime, etc.) improve to class-leading when Democrat-controlled counties are removed from statistics... and then you have the fact that none of those "problems" emerged in the past 200 days. How many should be solved locally?
Don't make it a red vs. blue thing... get past that child's play... focus on making actual reforms to things through compromise.. we cannot move forward without it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:03 am

NS8401 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:19 am
So you'd rather we just sit and rot
As opposed to what, more red tape? More government regulations? More erosion of our personal freedoms and liberties?

When democrats hold power (and sadly, republicans during the Bush years) this is what "getting things done" usually means.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:03 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:03 am
NS8401 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:19 am
So you'd rather we just sit and rot
As opposed to what, more red tape? More government regulations? More erosion of our personal freedoms and liberties?

When democrats hold power (and sadly, republicans during the Bush years) this is what "getting things done" usually means.
What's your alternative? Do nothing? Sympathy to your whining would be so much easier if you had popular ideas...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic