Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Opioid abuse in Michigan is out of control!

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Opioid abuse in Michigan is out of control!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:35 pm

This article is very chilling:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/201 ... eroin.html

Our doctors, hospitals and government are failing us!!!

How is it the medical marijuana is seen, by some, as a greater threat than this legal, but highly addictive, dangerous and abused prescriptive drug?

http://www.opium.org/15-dangers-opiates-need-aware.html
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

906XJ

Re: Opioid abuse in Michigan is out of control!

Post by 906XJ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:49 pm

While I don't feel the government should be responsible for drug enforcement or healthcare, I will agree that the prescription drug menace is way out of control.

I blame shitty doctors and big pharma.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Maybe the cost of pain killers should not be covered by insurance for more than 30 days per year.

So many get addicted to these after a medical procedure.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

906XJ

Re: RE: Re: Opioid abuse in Michigan is out of control!

Post by 906XJ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:30 pm

audiophile wrote:Maybe the cost of pain killers should not be covered by insurance for more than 30 days per year.

So many get addicted to these after a medical procedure.
The thing is... there are patients with chronic symptoms that need them for extended periods.

The problem is that doctors are basically pushers for the pharmaceutical companies. People are getting prescribed drugs they don't need.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:30 pm

True, but addicts without real pain get them for free too, so where do you draw the line?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Crack down on the pill mills.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:28 am

Wow...have we finally gotten to the point where there is no personal responsibility at all? For crying out loud, how about the fact that the users are not victims. They know what they are doing and they choose to abuse these drugs. That's like blaming the store for selling you the beer and booze that you abuse or the cigarettes you smoke. We all know what will happen if we abuse drugs, legal or not, booze or tobacco but it's always someone else's fault. Stand the hell up and take responsibility for your poor life choices and then fucking change them and yes I smoke but it's not the tobacco companies or store's fault, it is mine.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:24 am

I agree it is a personal responsibility.

I don't think most ask to get the cigarettes and beer covered by insurance.

The morons in the government of Canada hand out methadone like candy:
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/cri ... 0ad6a40214

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:26 am

Insurance was not the thrust of my post, it was taking responsibility for ones own actions. Hell Michigan isn't alone, it is out of control everywhere.

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:47 am

I agree about taking responsibility for one's actions... of course, that extends to the doctors that will prescribe highly addictive drugs to people that don't need them.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:05 am

906XJ wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:47 am
I agree about taking responsibility for one's actions... of course, that extends to the doctors that will prescribe highly addictive drugs to people that don't need them.
Which by extension means they are already addicts before they touch Heroin...

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:10 am

Absolutely.

Another thing... why are doctors prescribing up to 3 months worth of highly addictive drugs?

Here's what happens... a guy has almost 200 oxy's... well, he doesn't need 200 oxy's, so he sells what he doesn't use to people that don't have a scrip.

So... now, from one scrip, we have multiple addicts.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:27 pm

Great points guys...I agree...

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:01 pm

Where is it that they write a 90 day script? Where I live only 30 day supplies can be written and to get a refill the patient must be examined by a doctor to make sure it is needed.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:37 pm

zzand wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:01 pm
Where is it that they write a 90 day script? Where I live only 30 day supplies can be written and to get a refill the patient must be examined by a doctor to make sure it is needed.
90 day scripts do exist... often for insurance reasons they get broken into 30's... I've got some mental health medication I'm on and it's written as 3 refills of 90 but the insurance has it broken into 9 units of 30...

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 pm

It's a common occurrence nationwide.

Here's the thing... your hardcore opioids were originally designed for short term pain relief. As time went on we have more doctors wanting to prescribe them for longer periods because... well... the patients love them... naturally the drug companies said it was safe to do so, completely disregarding the highly addictive nature of the drugs in favor of increased profit margins.

You can pretend this isn't happening if you want, but I'm here to tell you that the outlandish state of this prescription drug culture is very real, and is indeed a problem.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:25 am

NS8401, I did some checking and my state doesn't allow anything other than 30 day scripts on controlled drugs and no refills allowed without a doctor visit. Maybe if other states did this it may cut down on the abuse.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:14 am

zzand wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:25 am
NS8401, I did some checking and my state doesn't allow anything other than 30 day scripts on controlled drugs and no refills allowed without a doctor visit. Maybe if other states did this it may cut down on the abuse.
Interesting... which particular state?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:07 am

Tread lightly on substance abuse. Yes, there was a lack of personal control on the part of the users, but once hooked, most people will need lots of help.

I deal with many addicts with my volunteer work. It's a frustrating situation, but the "Get Tough" tactic just keeps them in limbo. Eliminating access to the drugs only drives people to Heroin (which is a problem too). Traverse City has a substance abuse court now and it has increased success (to almost 45%) of a recovery and reduced the cost of jail.

Almost every substance abuser has some kind of emotional baggage they are trying to escape by using. PTSD, Domestic Violence, Child Abuse are all typical causes. I am a fan of self-reliance when it is possible. When a person needs help, they need help.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic