Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Being pro-police

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
lovinlife101
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Being pro-police

Post by lovinlife101 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:07 am

A journalist should be objective. He/She should tell a fair and balanced not only in the selection of a story, but in the telling of a story.

I don't see that with Bill Harris.

Look at his bio and the majority of stories he has covered is about police. The stories are pro-police.

http://www.minbcnews.com/about/bio.aspx?id=987

There are bad cops and bad departments too, but you won't find those stories here.

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Being pro-police

Post by craig11152 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:12 am

lovinlife101 wrote: There are bad cops and bad departments too, but you won't find those stories here.
Are you having a hard time finding "bad cop" stories? I can help you out.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

lovinlife101
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Being pro-police

Post by lovinlife101 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:31 am

I'm saying you won't find stories critical of police or police departments on Bill Harris' page because he won't do them.

Feel free to pitch those kinds of stories his way, but don't expect him to cover them.

His bio shows a clear conflict of interest:

"Bill has also distinguished himself in the area of law enforcement with a rare perspective of someone who has been on “both sides of the fence.” While anchoring and reporting for WJRT, Bill also served as a uniformed, reserve deputy with the Genesee County Sheriff’s Department’s Paramedic Division. He is a recent graduate of the FBI Citizens Academy and has trained with numerous federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.
He continues to work closely with numerous agencies and consulting firms, including the Michigan State Police, as a media consultant and instructor and, this past August, served as the Public Information Officer for Flint’s “Back To The Bricks” Law Enforcement Task Force."

So he still "works closely with policy agencies and consulting firms" so much so that he's served as a "media consultant and instructor" and "Public Information Officer for 'Back To The Bricks' Law Enforcement Task Force."

Long story short. He gets paid by police agencies for his services. His wife worked as a police dispatcher. Not only is covering police stories a conflict of interest for him, it's payola.

JackAttack FM
Posts: 812
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Being pro-police

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue May 19, 2015 11:50 am

lovinlife101 wrote:A journalist should be objective. He/She should tell a fair and balanced not only in the selection of a story, but in the telling of a story.

I don't see that with... blah, blah, blah.
Same old shit, nit-pick and bitch about the same old station.
You have some personal beef with WEYI that you've been trying to get everybody else to buy with your trolling.

Now that the station finally has a real owner and a better product you're going to bash on the resume of an anchor that's been in the market for 30 years?

You're reaching.
Nothing new.

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Being pro-police

Post by craig11152 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:54 am

A chance for me to ask the professionals.....
when a news anchor, whether its this guy in Flint, or a national guy reads a story from the teleprompter who wrote the words?
a second question, who decides what "news" is worthy news for a 1/2 hour show?
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

lovinlife101
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Being pro-police

Post by lovinlife101 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Welcome back, Jack "ad hominem" Attack!

Seems like you're having difficulty refuting logic.

Here it is again:

When a journalist is getting paid by an organization and then does positive stories on said organization, that's called payola (See George Stephanopoulos).

Feel free to defend this practice.

JackAttack FM
Posts: 812
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Being pro-police

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue May 19, 2015 12:11 pm

craig11152 wrote:A chance for me to ask the professionals.....
when a news anchor, whether its this guy in Flint, or a national guy reads a story from the teleprompter who wrote the words?
90% of the time its a producer (the person that puts the show together) or a writer. In some shops anchors can also produce and write the newscast but, that's in the smaller shops/markets.
...a second question, who decides what "news" is worthy news for a 1/2 hour show?
Typically the producer. The larger the newsroom the more "collaborative" the effort. Everyone pitches stories at an editorial meeting with producers, managers like executive producers, managing editors, assistant news directors or news directors making the final decision on what stories will air and on what newscasts (4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 7pm, 11pm).
But, like I said, the smaller the operation the more is left up the the newscast producer to decide.

JackAttack FM
Posts: 812
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Being pro-police

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue May 19, 2015 12:25 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:Seems like you're having difficulty refuting logic.
No, I'm fine.
When a journalist is getting paid by an organization and then does positive stories on said organization, that's called payola (See George Stephanopoulos).
Feel free to defend this practice.
Get some harder proof then making assumptions off of station bios. The fact you have to bring in a completely different subject into your argument means you're losing it.
Jack "ad hominem" Attack
You do realize this is what you're doing?... attacking without fact.
It is a fact you bash this station all the time. I see you haven't tried to argue against that.

User avatar
Herm
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Being pro-police

Post by Herm » Tue May 19, 2015 12:53 pm

I've worked extensively with Bill. I would never question his journalistic integrity. Journalism is many things but most importantly, it's about telling the truth. I trust that Bill will ALWAYS tell the truth. If you feel the truth is "pro-police in this situation, then in the words of The Dude... "That's like... your opinion, man".

lovinlife101
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Being pro-police

Post by lovinlife101 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Jack "ad hominem" Attack,

See your first post for the proof you so allegedly desire. Attacking a person rather than the argument is the basis of your conversation.

If you checked Bill's bio page, you'll find 17 of 34 stories are positive pieces on police. Zero stories of any criticism on anything related to police.

He is paid by police departments to work for them, according to his bio.

This is clearly a conflict of interest.

Your claim that I bash this station "all the time" is 100% incorrect. You've made no effort to see my other posts observing the other Flint stations as well as Detroit stations.

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Being pro-police

Post by craig11152 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:51 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:He is paid by police departments to work for them, according to his bio.
This is clearly a conflict of interest.


That is not clear to me. The closest I read is "He continues to work closely with numerous agencies and consulting firms, including the Michigan State Police, as a media consultant and instructor and, this past August, served as the Public Information Officer for Flint’s “Back To The Bricks” Law Enforcement Task Force."

Those could be paid positions but they could just as easily be volunteer positions. I think its a jump to automatically assume he is paid.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 961
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: Being pro-police

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue May 19, 2015 3:52 pm

craig11152 wrote:That is not clear to me. The closest I read is "He continues to work closely with numerous agencies and consulting firms, including the Michigan State Police, as a media consultant and instructor and, this past August, served as the Public Information Officer for Flint’s “Back To The Bricks” Law Enforcement Task Force."

Those could be paid positions but they could just as easily be volunteer positions. I think its a jump to automatically assume he is paid.
A lot of times such positions are non-paid, like being a police-liaison for Neighborhood Watch.

Whatever one's opinion is of Bill Harris, he's been in the game long enough to know where the ethical boundaries are drawn, and I highly doubt he would put his reputation on the line for a few extra bucks and a pat on the back.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

WhatIsNews
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:05 am

Re: Being pro-police

Post by WhatIsNews » Sat May 23, 2015 1:00 pm

Bill's done a bunch of positive police stories over the last few years. Is it a conflict of interest? I don't know. I don't think any of the stories I've seen him do qualify as unethical. Media should do good stories about police when it makes sense to do so, and Bill's had a pretty impressive career so he's bought himself some leeway.

If a station as a whole had ONLY done stories that paint police in a positive light, I'd be more concerned... but as someone already pointed out, there's been plenty of coverage about controversial police actions lately.

I just think when there is a good police story to do, they put Bill on it (or Bill volunteers for it)... and Bill finds out about more of them because he has some many contacts with them.

If there's a case (or cases) where there are problems with police and Bill HIDES it, then there's a problem.

lovinlife101
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Being pro-police

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:06 pm

That's the problem. When he's acting as a public information officer for the police department, as he has in the past, he is speaking on behalf of a police department. Any good public information office will paint the organization it works for in the best light. Therefore, working for the police and covering the police as a journalist is a conflict of interest.

lovinlife101
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Being pro-police

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:09 pm

We may never know if something was hidden. When a person is the spokesperson/consultant for the police and a journalist, there's no way to know. There's no check and balance, just one side.

User avatar
NoozDude
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:35 am
Location: Looking for Roadrunner

Re: Being pro-police

Post by NoozDude » Sun May 24, 2015 9:05 am

[quote="lovinlife101"]When he's acting as a public information officer for the police department, as he has in the past, he is speaking on behalf of a police department./quote]

Let's clear up some misconceptions, misinformation and/or assumptions.
(1) As the bio states, he was PIO for the Back To Bricks Law Enforcement Task Force. He, however, did not represent any police agency but, rather, one of several BTTB committee members who were involved with the task force. The Task Force commander and/or The chairman of BTTB were the official spokespersons.
(2) The "last August" reference in the bio refers to the time of year after he was let go by ABC12 and before he was hired by NBC25.
(3) it was a volunteer, non-paid position.

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 4770
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: Being pro-police

Post by audiophile » Sun May 24, 2015 2:19 pm

What is wrong with being pro-police occasionally?

News is mostly pro-moron, so what's wrong with some balance :blink
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

DAC
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:43 pm

Re: Being pro-police

Post by DAC » Sun May 24, 2015 6:53 pm

audiophile wrote:What is wrong with being pro-police occasionally?

News is mostly pro-moron, so what's wrong with some balance :blink
Amen! <Hillbilly accent> Somthin' happened da me dat I dint like, so Ah called tv5, an dey got R done!" <end hillbilly accent>

lovinlife101
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Being pro-police

Post by lovinlife101 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:42 pm

This is to answer audiophile's question.

The problem with being "pro-police," even occasionally, for a journalist is that it is tipping the story in favor of the police and being biased rather than being balanced.

Simply reporting what police say, without scrutiny, is journalism malpractice.

See this link: http://wcrz.com/flints-bill-harris-talk ... -12-audio/

At 4:10 there's talk about training new police chiefs in media relations. There's also a comment about a state police lieutenant being a best friend. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with having a best friend that just so happens to be a state police lieutenant. But when that results in only positive stories for police, no scrutiny, training police how to handle the media, serving as a police public affairs official, etc., that's where it crosses the journalistic line.

lovinlife101
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Being pro-police

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:06 am

And then there's this: http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index ... _svsu.html

A Detroit student studying in a masters program at SVSU gets pulled over for no reason, gets cuffed and charged with felony fleeing and alluding simply because he pulled into a lit parking lot. His cousin had been robbed by fake police before and he was simply taking precautions.

Then, police and the prosecutor have the audacity to offer a plea deal so that he would still have a misdemeanor, lose his job and forfeit his financial aid.

THESE FOLKS DO NOT WORK FOR YOU!

The police and prosecutor targeted this Detroit student who is trying to make a better life for himself and the police want to ruin his life.

Absolutely disgusting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests