Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WPAY

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
JGP1954

WPAY

Post by JGP1954 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Has anybody heard anything about the WPAY sale? It was up for sale along with a FM repeater?

Deleted User 10525

Re: WPAY

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:08 am

News to me, I've heard nothing. If a new owner takes over, I hope they will fix the issue with the translator. Wonder if it's a commercial broadcaster or another Religious one.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:28 pm

I don't know if they have a buyer. I just know it's up for sale. Along with the FM translator and a FM translator CP.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:27 am

EMF has been sitting on that station for 10 years now, maybe Pedro Zamora might be looking? He owns 1310am in Detroit, a commercial Spanish station might be a good fit.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 am

WPAY History Card.

Notice how they dance around how the Day Site used to be in Michigan. Like Michigan was a dirty word. I guess it still is in Ohio. When George Carlin performed in Ohio, I guess Michigan was the eighth word you couldn't say on TV.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/ ... r_id=68421

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm sort of fixated on WPAY these days. I only recently discovered its existence, and found out its for sale. It has one of the oddest signal patterns I've ever seen, yet during the day, I can hear it in the 8 mile Road area of Detroit. Given today's AM station's challenges, I'm amazed its still on the air. I'm rootin' for the little critter, and hope it stays on the air, forever.

CK-722

Re: time

Post by CK-722 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Because WYFC was on 1520, WTTO could not go North Days. And they couldn't go South at Night due to the combination of WKBW and KOMA skywave service. So they needed two sites.

Changes in the Agreement With Canada allowed US stations to finally use 990 in the Daytime and Nighttime near the Border, far away from CBW Winnipeg. So WYFC was able to move to 990 as WWCM...WDEO. To fully use 990 Days, it appeared that WABX Clare had to be removed. With WYFC gone from 1520, WTTO...WPAY was able to go North Day and Night and used one site. The conductivity around Toledo was pretty good, and WPAY on 1520 has a decent signal for that far up the band. It was never able to use a full 1000 watt input, so it uses a very efficient array with electrically tall towers with 500 watts Day and 400 watts Night, with a Class B equivalent close to 1000 watts. It was unable to put a sufficient signal over Toledo for a Toledo COL, so it now has Rossford, OH as the COL.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:46 am

Did it take Rossford as COL because it wouldn't put 5mV day and NIF night over Toledo, or because (at the time) any relocation of a transmitter site required that service would be provided to a community that had no broadcast stations of its own?

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:08 am

innate-in-you wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:46 am
Did it take Rossford as COL because it wouldn't put 5mV day and NIF night over Toledo, or because (at the time) any relocation of a transmitter site required that service would be provided to a community that had no broadcast stations of its own?
The APPs I could find online didn't have the exhibits that discussed that. Looks like it was necessary, since it was a Major Change. Otherwise, they usually go with a Minor Change, so I assume they couldn't quite make it work as a Minor Change. As Don Adams would say, "Missed it by that much".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwrodxghrw

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:11 am

Oddly, WJR actually may have been a factor in WPAY's current transmitter site. It's actually in the FCC regs that you cannot overlap harmonically-related channels (over which contour escapes me at this moment).
The fact that 1520 beaming north from its old daytime array (mere yards north of the I-75 / Ohio Turnpike interchange near Perrysburg) would not have caused one iota of interference did not matter. It was not acceptable to the FCC that 1520 would tolerate interference from the second harmonic of WJR.
Perhaps beaming north from their new site, several miles south of the old one, assures there is no such contour overlap.

If the Radio-Locator.com site is correct, WPAY's 0.5mV/m contour is right along the Huron River in that direction. WJR's TL is about 7km outside that.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:11 am

I was in Downriver Detroit all weekend. Trenton has a City-grade AM signal on 1520 Saturday night in the car- blew me away. Gives the impression that it was a 10KW station; audio isn't set like I'd like it to be, but the RF signal was fantastic. The ownership however, does not want to sell the damn station. We had potential owners, investors, advertisers, a business plan and a bank loan waiting; EMF simply wouldn't sell it to us for under a million, and you know it isn't going to give a local owned and operated a decent return for that, so I was surprised they wouldn't take the half million and run.

speaking of downriver, I tried listening to "Sunny" iHeart on WNIC-HD2; wonderful PAD data for all the songs, but NO FRICKEN AUDIO. Every number I tried was disconnected or busy, I guess I'm their only HD2 listener, or they don't care.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:39 am

EMF values a station based on the population it serves. Look at the signal contours of WPAY and the population within those contours.

WPAY is for sale, but no one can afford it because WPAY hits a lot of people in the outermost parts of Detroit. Any successful buyer would have to overpay dearly, probably over $1M for a high-band AM that the market has ignored for years and years. The ROI is not there for any buyer with an asking price that high, $500K is far too generous even.

By sharp contrast, EMF unloaded two tiny AMs in Youngstown a decade ago (when they purchased what is now that market’s Air1 O&O) because there wasn’t that many people served with those signals, which lowered the asking price dramatically.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:44 pm

The asking price is under $300K.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:35 pm

JGP1954; you serious, under $300K for a site built from scratch since integrated circuits were invented? It's the only NW Ohio AM built-out this century, I believe. I don't know if the previous group has the gumption, the investors and business plan to give it a go again, everybody is older now and probably took the wind out the sails last go round. Is it up with a broker, or direct to EMF?

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:51 pm

I believe its a broker. It's tempting. But that signal and pattern at 1520AM, could easily be a money pit. In my opinion, the repeater has negligible value. You could sell brokered time, possibly. But, the kind of people you would have to deal with are mostly hustlers, plus I hate that kind of radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic