Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Russia Russia Russia

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
NS8401
Posts: 7078
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:35 pm
The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree...

Don, Jr. is every bit the unapologetic liar his father is!

"It's disgusting..."

"It's SO phony..."

"I cannot think of bigger lies!!!"

:x
And yet 40% of the population is superglued to these guys until further notice...

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by audiophile » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:01 pm
Bryce wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:08 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm
Mitch is working hard to repeal your health care. That should count for something. It's not his fault that he can't get his own caucus to support it.
The bill he's pushing doesn't come even close to anything resembling a "repeal".
Because the moderates want a... well... moderate modification to Obamacare and Conservatives want to nuke the thing. Unfortunately the conservatives allergy to compromise extends to their own party...
On the other hand, Democrats are bunch of robots, they have no scruples...

Just like the liberal party of Canada.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

NS8401
Posts: 7078
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:01 pm
Bryce wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:08 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm
Mitch is working hard to repeal your health care. That should count for something. It's not his fault that he can't get his own caucus to support it.
The bill he's pushing doesn't come even close to anything resembling a "repeal".
Because the moderates want a... well... moderate modification to Obamacare and Conservatives want to nuke the thing. Unfortunately the conservatives allergy to compromise extends to their own party...
On the other hand, Democrats are bunch of robots, they have no scruples...

Just like the liberal party of Canada.
What exactly do you propose this powerless and currently unable to do anything but complain Party do to use these scruples?

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2629
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:41 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm
Mitch is working hard to repeal your health care. That should count for something. It's not his fault that he can't get his own caucus to support it.

On the other hand, Democrats are bunch of robots, they have no scruples...

Just like the liberal party of Canada.

If you're trying to bait me by comparing the Democrats to Canada's Liberals, it won't work. :lol

It's exactly what I've always said. While you're at it, you can throw the Conservative Party of Canada into the same bag. They all share the same far right, pro-capitalist, anti-working class ideology.

The only difference is that Conservatives are open and forthright about their disdain for the working class. Liberals lie and pretend to be our ally.

Trump too, lied and pretended to be an ally of the working class. That shows that he isn't a true Conservative. He's a closet Liberal in Conservative clothing.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4270
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:22 am

In terms of medium/long-term macro trends, Donald Trump has little to do with stock market index movement.

The DOW and NASDAQ reached record highs during every single presidential administration of my lifetime.

Entrepreneurial innovation & product development, consumer sentiment, stability (or lack thereof) on the world stage, monetary policy, and sadly, collusion by major Wall Street players are what primarily influence index movement on medium/long-term basis.

True, increased industrial spending based on optimism can also have a positive effect, as can investors' perception of the "future." However, if those decisions are not eventually validated by economic data, then the market will undergo a "correction."

The reason the media are obsessed over Russia/Trump is simple - the administration, including the President himself, have not been truthful. The administration & President's compulsion to tell one lie after another after another suggests they might be trying to conceal something very damning. Then, on top of all of this, you have the firing of Comey. If you were to take the same circumstances and apply them to Hillary, I bet some of you would be singing a much different tune.

Partisan bias is SOOOOOOO obvious, and it's also incredibly pathetic and perhaps the biggest reason I am largely fed up with politics.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

bmw
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:22 am
The reason the media are obsessed over Russia/Trump is simple - the administration, including the President himself, have not been truthful.
That is absolute nonsense. Hillary told at least 7 different outright lies over the course of a 15-minute press conference regarding her emails and the media barely batted an eye. With Trump, the nightly news of ABC, NBC, and CBS are devoting roughly 10.5 minutes per night to Trump/Russia, which is almost 50 percent of the 21-22 minute broadcasts, and they have been doing so now for the past 7 weeks. That is 10 minutes per night, per newscast, for almost 2 months straight, on one single story.

The Hillary email story, on the other hand, got roughly 30 seconds of coverage per night, on average, or about 3 percent of what the Trump/Russia story is getting.

I'd post links, but I'm too lazy to dig them up again.

Bottom line is, the mainstream media has an agenda - to take Trump (and his family) down. I don't believe for one second there'd be a fraction of this coverage if Hillary had won and it had turned out that there were questions of whether she colluded with Russia. It would have been covered for a few days, and then anything after that would have been construed as a witch hunt.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4270
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:31 pm

I don't believe for one second there'd be a fraction of this coverage if Hillary had won and it had turned out that there were questions of whether she colluded with Russia.
I agree with you on that point. However, the fact remains the President and those closely connected to him have been caught in a myriad of lies. If everything was on the up-and-up, why the lies?
Bottom line is, the mainstream media has an agenda - to take Trump (and his family) down.
Why do you say that? Because they've exposed Donnie Boy for being full of bullsh*t? The media should just turn away and not pay attention to that stuff?
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

bmw
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:31 pm
Bottom line is, the mainstream media has an agenda - to take Trump (and his family) down.
Why do you say that?
Simple. Trump beat Hillary, and that was not supposed to happen. He made them look like fools with all of their predictions of how he was going to lose and lose in a landslide. They tried to take him down numerous times during the general election campaign, and it didn't work. None of it worked. So now it's personal.

The main reason they want to take him and his family out is because unlike other spineless republicans of the last 20 years who would go hide in a hole any time they were challenged by the media, Trump fights back, and they hate it. Trump was not supposed to win, and he doesn't play by their rules.

The last thing they want now is for him to actually be successful. For the economy to improve. For terrorism to decline. For his poll numbers to slowly go up. What they fear most is that he could be re-elected and they'll do anything and everything they can to undermine his entire presidency.

Just my opinion, of course.
The media should just turn away and not pay attention to that stuff?
Not what I said at all. My gripe is with the wall-to-wall, pedal-to-the-metal OBSESSION.

However, in the end I think it will backfire.

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2629
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:52 pm

From the very start, the only time Trump's people have been forthcoming with any truth is when they are caught out by the media.


Over the past six months, their story has morphed from -

"There was no contact with the Russians."

to -

"There was some contact with the Russians, but there was no collusion."

to -

"OK, there was collusion, but so what? Anyone else would have done the same thing. Anyway, nothing came of it. Trust me.

NS8401
Posts: 7078
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by NS8401 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:31 pm
Bottom line is, the mainstream media has an agenda - to take Trump (and his family) down.
Why do you say that?
Simple. Trump beat Hillary, and that was not supposed to happen. He made them look like fools with all of their predictions of how he was going to lose and lose in a landslide. They tried to take him down numerous times during the general election campaign, and it didn't work. None of it worked. So now it's personal.

The main reason they want to take him and his family out is because unlike other spineless republicans of the last 20 years who would go hide in a hole any time they were challenged by the media, Trump fights back, and they hate it. Trump was not supposed to win, and he doesn't play by their rules.

The last thing they want now is for him to actually be successful. For the economy to improve. For terrorism to decline. For his poll numbers to slowly go up. What they fear most is that he could be re-elected and they'll do anything and everything they can to undermine his entire presidency.

Just my opinion, of course.
The media should just turn away and not pay attention to that stuff?
Not what I said at all. My gripe is with the wall-to-wall, pedal-to-the-metal OBSESSION.

However, in the end I think it will backfire.
First of all your first 10 minutes per night thing is off by a lot... I generally watch CBS in the evenings and 3 or 4 maybe 5 is the norm...

Secondly he hasn't done anything to improve any of the things you mentioned or nominated hardly anybody to help... the economy was already good, terrorism isn't that common and certainly isn't on the rise here, and his poll numbers aren't rising...

Third as TT said... their story keeps changing... how can we trust them on anything... they won't be transparent... how can we trust them?

bmw
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:56 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm
First of all your first 10 minutes per night thing is off by a lot... I generally watch CBS in the evenings and 3 or 4 maybe 5 is the norm...
I went back and dug up my link, and I misread the numbers. The actual numbers (per the Media Research Center), between May 17 and June 20, covering a total of 25 weekdays, the 3 major networks (ABC, NBC, and CBS) devoted a combined 353 minutes specifically to the Trump-Russia story. That amounts to 14.1 minutes a night between the 3 networks, or about 4.7 minutes per night. ABC was the highest at around 5 minutes per night, CBS at the average, and NBC at around 4.4. My misreading was the line "more than half the networks' total Trump coverage over those weeks." - I missed the word Trump.

But still, even at 5 minutes per night, and with the newscast minus commercials at 20:30, that is still nearly 1/4 of the newscast which is still an insanely high number for a story to go on for that many weeks.

bmw
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:19 pm

Also, does anybody remember this?

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-tr ... ts-2016-10

or this?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/18/politics/ ... index.html

10/18/16 - Obama quote - "no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even rig America's elections."

Two days later, on 10/20/16:

Obama quote - "when you try to sow the seeds of doubt in people’s minds about the legitimacy of our elections, that undermines our democracy."

NS8401
Posts: 7078
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by NS8401 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:34 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:19 pm
Also, does anybody remember this?

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-tr ... ts-2016-10

or this?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/18/politics/ ... index.html

10/18/16 - Obama quote - "no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even rig America's elections."

Two days later, on 10/20/16:

Obama quote - "when you try to sow the seeds of doubt in people’s minds about the legitimacy of our elections, that undermines our democracy."
Probably trying to keep people calm... so what? He's even talking about 2 different circumstances... one is saying that directly rigging them (not meddling or influencing) them would be hard and the other is responding to Trumps repeated attempts to delegitimize what looked like certain doom at the time...

As for the media that's what... one story and a brief note when revelations about this and new pieces and different bits of intrigue come out daily? How can anyone be surprised there would be a story a night on it?

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2629
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:38 am

Russia is still learning. They'll get better at it.

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:20 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:19 pm
Also, does anybody remember this?

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-tr ... ts-2016-10

or this?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/18/politics/ ... index.html

10/18/16 - Obama quote - "no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even rig America's elections."

Two days later, on 10/20/16:

Obama quote - "when you try to sow the seeds of doubt in people’s minds about the legitimacy of our elections, that undermines our democracy."
Stop it, Stop it...you're making sense!

The democrats are now running the "nancy grace" channel.

No agenda, no ideas, nothing...all conspiracy's, all the time.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2629
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:04 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 pm
. Another Nothing Burger. Think Hillary wouldn't have taken a similar bait about Trump if offered? Think again.

Image

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: Russia Russia Russia

Post by audiophile » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:47 am

Mccarthyism is back!

http://www.insideradio.com/free/movemen ... ae1a0.html

While I'm not thrilled that a well known attorney chooses to air Sputnik, I don't think it's good to go down this slippery slope either.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests