Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

More teens no longer working summer jobs

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
bmw

More teens no longer working summer jobs

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 am

Percent of Americans aged 16-19 who were employed in the summer:
in 1986 - 57%
in 2002 - 50%
Today - 36%

Percent of teens taking summer classes of some kind:
in 1986 - 12%
Today - 42%

So the proportion of teens working vs. taking summer classes in the past 30 years has changed from 57-12 to 36-42.

To me this is an alarming trend. As a teen in the late 1990s, I worked retail starting at age 16 not only every summer, but several days a week after school and on weekends throughout the school year. I received INVALUABLE real world experience working that job that I'm confident there's no way I could have or would have received simply through more education.

What about others on here - did you have summer jobs as a teen? And looking back, was that a valuable life-lesson?

On the political side of this - no wonder today's young 'ens are a bunch of leftists - the government now owns them year 'round and they're simply not being exposed to the private sector.

link: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... TE=DEFAULT

NS8401

Re: More teens no longer working summer jobs

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:01 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 am
Percent of Americans aged 16-19 who were employed in the summer:
in 1986 - 57%
in 2002 - 50%
Today - 36%

Percent of teens taking summer classes of some kind:
in 1986 - 12%
Today - 42%

So the proportion of teens working vs. taking summer classes in the past 30 years has changed from 57-12 to 36-42.

To me this is an alarming trend. As a teen in the late 1990s, I worked retail starting at age 16 not only every summer, but several days a week after school and on weekends throughout the school year. I received INVALUABLE real world experience working that job that I'm confident there's no way I could have or would have received simply through more education.

What about others on here - did you have summer jobs as a teen? And looking back, was that a valuable life-lesson?

On the political side of this - no wonder today's young 'ens are a bunch of leftists - the government now owns them year 'round and they're simply not being exposed to the private sector.

link: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... TE=DEFAULT
You grossly oversimplify the current young generation but you have to remember that they are being pushed to do better in school to get into a better college and supposedly better their lives and hopefully get enough grants and scholarships to afford it all. It's a logical trend... life expectancy increases, time of education increases and things get delayed further out. People worry that grades will suffer if they work 15-20 hours per week... I would imagine many of those parents are speaking from their own experiences coupled with how much work and extracurricular activities surround high school today... they are plenty exposed to the private sector... just a little later in life... like maybe 3 years or so... there are plenty of young people who look at the way Boomers jacked everything up and want to be honest and fix it... in that way there may be some hope down the road...

A couple fun facts I learned about millennials last night (disclaimer: I am one):
Millennials go to libraries more than any other generation.

Millennials are still overwhelmingly likely to ask a parent for permission to marry.

Millennials overwhelmingly prefer shopping in stores to ordering online... more so than older generations...

So maybe the sky really isn't falling and we aren't as screwed up as everybody pretends...

Please remember that "kids today..." is a cute trope but it glosses over the fact that the complainers ignore all the stupid stuff they did as young people or simply forget it and only remember the good parts of their youth... so "we never did that as kids" is more often than not actually "oh yes you did"...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:26 am

NS8401 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:01 am
Millennials overwhelmingly prefer shopping in stores to ordering online... more so than older generations...
I am not disputing that because I don't really know, but I also read how millenials aren't buying cars so how are they getting to those stores? My wife has a millennial daughter in Chicago and her preference for shopping in stores is more about whether her apartment location is conducive to packages not getting stolen.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:28 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:26 am
NS8401 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:01 am
I am not disputing that because I don't really know, but I also read how millenials aren't buying cars so how are they getting to those stores? My wife has a millennial daughter in Chicago and her preference for shopping in stores is more about whether her apartment location is conducive to packages not getting stolen.
It could be that there is more of an emphasis among the group on other transit (where available) or on ridesharing to get around... young people are also concentrated to an extent in urban areas where a car isn't always practical to have...

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:37 pm

To be fair, I am technically a millenial, albeit the oldest part of that generation.

Also - NS, I actually paid my way through college with a combination of scholarships and money saved from working as a teen. I actually managed to save up about $9,000 during my high school years, and that combined with a few scholarships based mainly on my ACT scores and GPA (and the fact that between 2000 and 2005 tuition was only about 1/3 what it is today) I paid my way through 4.5 years of college debt-free.

I have to believe that there is a substantial percentage of teens who would do themselves a favor by working and saving up some money to help defray the cost of college, as opposed to racking up a bunch of debt and then hoping the government will ultimately forgive it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Also, my broader point is that I don't like the trend of kids focusing on just education, education, education all the way up until being 22 years old. You become practically institutionalized by that point in time and I imagine (I'd be curious to see if there are studies on this) it is more difficult to adapt to the work world if you have never participated in the work force by that point in your life.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:27 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:40 pm
Also, my broader point is that I don't like the trend of kids focusing on just education, education, education all the way up until being 22 years old. You become practically institutionalized by that point in time and I imagine (I'd be curious to see if there are studies on this) it is more difficult to adapt to the work world if you have never participated in the work force by that point in your life.
The same worries were once doled out about high school... universal high school is relatively new too...

I don't think saving up that way to defray the costs of college is as easy as it was 20 years ago.. nor do I think your $9,000 saved plus scholarships will do nearly what you think it will...

One thing I will say in your favor is that college debt is delaying marriage, having children, buying a car, buying a house and moving on with ones life... sooner or later something has to give. Maybe it will come when people realize it's not the be all end all " go to college or you'll live under a bridge" that they've been feeding people recently... I think that's why there is such an emphasis... students are being told they will be failures at life if they don't get H*** debt and get a job they may not like... but happiness isn't the point I guess.

I've heard several Of my peers say that they will give their kids a choice about whether to go to a 4 year school, trade school or simply work. That's my plan too...

I got a degree and the debt and I feel stupid for it... there simply aren't enough jobs for everybody to get a good one and pay that debt off... so I decided to be happy in a job that requires no college and makes decent money... I would be doing very nicely if I had just gone this route in the first place....

blackcowboybrady64

Post by blackcowboybrady64 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:42 am

NS8401,young people-some,anyway-are leftists because they have awakened to the fact that they have been most exploited by the overlords who have turned the U.S. into an oligarchy.(Or,given the true causes of the Iran and Iraq wars,that word should be "OIL-igarchy"!!!!!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic