Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Republicans fail at healthcare reform

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
bmw

Re: Republicans fail at healthcare reform

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Yeah, and the US is the only country that doesn't use the metric system.

What's your point? Last time I checked we're a sovereign nation.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:08 pm

With an aging population and a heath care system going in the toilet.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:38 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 pm
Yeah, and the US is the only country that doesn't use the metric system.

What's your point? Last time I checked we're a sovereign nation.
The point is that there are some things we are bassackwards for doing...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 pm

This guys gets it...

"This Act may be cited as the 'Obamacare Repeal Act,'" the bill states.

And the bill uses just one sentence to do it.

"Effective as of Dec. 31, 2017, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted," the bill states.

And that's it - one sentence.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index ... to_re.html
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:57 pm

audiophile wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 pm
This guys gets it...

"This Act may be cited as the 'Obamacare Repeal Act,'" the bill states.

And the bill uses just one sentence to do it.

"Effective as of Dec. 31, 2017, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted," the bill states.

And that's it - one sentence.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index ... to_re.html
But you can't just write one sentence... wave a magic wand.. and party like it's 2009....

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:05 pm

You can...

Once that is passed they can get to work on both sides to come up with something better.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:31 pm

audiophile wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:05 pm
You can...

Once that is passed they can get to work on both sides to come up with something better.
And in the meantime everything collapses... it doesn't just instantly revert.. much infrastructure has been put in place by everybody in the past 7 years.. what makes you think that the 52nd time is the charm on coming up with an alternative? They just won't be coming up with anything. Give it up.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:58 pm

They have until Dec 31...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:59 am

You are going to craft a solution for Obamacare in 9 months and ensure the marketplace is ready? This isn't some pissant pizza place, it's one of the largest industries in the nation. Leave it to a clod from Alabama to not realize how much thought an effective change would really take.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:33 am

If you like your policy, you can keep your policy...

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:06 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:33 am
It's taken 7 years and Republicans have done jack... it's nigh impossible they would suddenly do it in 9 months especially after their epic fail on Friday...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:33 am
I like how the Republicans are handling this at the moment. I certainly don't need to worry about anything with the all the infighting. They're worse than Democrats.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:53 pm

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:27 pm

My March 24th quote deserves a re-post:
bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 pm
...nothing healthcare-related introduced during a Trump admin will EVER get a single democrat vote.

ObamaCare is here to stay for the foreseeable future because the votes just aren't there and will never be there to do anything about it...
also...
Right now I don't think republicans could legislate their way out of a paper sack. They've had SEVEN YEARS to come up with a replacement proposal.
I stand by my predictions. There will be no meaningful repeal or reform during Trump's tenure - republicans are either incapable or simply don't want to. I think it is a little bit of both.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:12 pm

Congress doesn't have to suffer from Obamcare. That's why they don't care.

Go back to the old plans, the ones they said we could keep.
Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:30 pm

Say what you want about President Obama and Obamacare, but I think we can all agree that President Obama was a strong advocate for his plan (even though not always truthful regarding its provisions) and lobbied Congress and the general public more heavily and far more successfully than Donald Trump.

I believe Obamacare had around 40% support when it became law. Support for its repeal is less than half that number!

The things Obamacare failed to solve (from a health care & health care cost perspective) aren't going to magically get better if & when Obamacare gets repealed.

We have too many separate health insurance companies in this country and too many hospitals & medical networks. People travel and then fall ill or get injured "out of network. This is an incredibly inefficient delivery model.

Then, on top of that, you have pharmaceutical companies gouging the consumer unlike anywhere else in the world. And did I mention that our population is aging?

All of the above is a toxic mixture. Our politicians consisting of a mix of know-nothings, corrupt bastards, and ideologues have no clue or no desire to fix these issues. Health care costs will keep going up, up, up under the existing climate and health outcomes (compared to the rest of the developed world) will remain mediocre.

Medicare, Medicaid and Obamacare need a complete overhaul and a different funding mechanism. Pharmaceutical companies need to be threatened with patent rescission if they gouge consumers. In some cases, importation of drugs from outside the U.S. should be evaluated.

The skinny repeal bill was total garbage. The full repeal - with the repeal date deferred until after the mid-term election - was decent legislation. I don't understand the rush. Why not take the time to get this right?
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:30 pm
The skinny repeal bill was total garbage. The full repeal - with the repeal date deferred until after the mid-term election - was decent legislation. I don't understand the rush. Why not take the time to get this right?
When will people realize that this was all for show? ALL OF IT. The first failed bill. The failed clean repeal. Then the failed skinny repeal. All politics.

The skinny repeal was devised for one purpose and one purpose only - so that as many republicans as possible could vote for it without it actually passing so they could tell their constituents they tried. McCain was the fall guy by design. He even voted last just for the drama.

Then you have Lindsey Graham - a walking piece of human garbage as far as I'm concerned. He voted "yes" on the bill only with assurance that the house wouldn't actually pass it. VOTE YES ON A BILL BECAUSE IT IS GOOD POLICY, NOT FOR PURELY POLITICAL REASONS.

f*ckin hell these republicans make me sick to my stomach. Bunch of pansy ass establishment hacks.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:42 am

Health insurance companies are the villains. Whether during the Obamacare era - which we are still in - or during the era of healthcare that preceeded it.

Why? Because ALL insurance companies have one overarching goal: collect those premium payments for years, and when it's time to pay out on a heafty but righteous claim - find a way to deny payment. It's the game played by ALL insurance companies.

Every day those with insurance who are injured, get sick, or have their homes destroyed by weather, etc. are denied payments to which - according to their insurance contracts - they are legally entitled.

How can you ever expect cutting edge or even good, reliable, affordable health care when you're dealing with an industry where greed is king and SHOWING COMPASSION a reason to be
canned from your insurance adjuster job?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:07 am

I agree with you, bmw, with regard to Lindsey Graham's remarks. His "logic" is screwy to say the least. Yet another anecdotal example of why people such as myself loathe politicians!!!
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 am

He's a goof:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic