Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Republicans fail at healthcare reform

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
bmw

Republicans fail at healthcare reform

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Looks like "Repeal and Replace" is not gonna happen. Vote cancelled yet again.

I watched Paul Ryan's press conference. Someone asked whether this dooms other republican agenda items. His answer was NO - that republicans agree more on how to reform taxes and how to reform immigration policy than they do on how to reform healthcare. If that is true, then can somebody explain to me why they tackled healthcare reform first? From a political perspective, I don't get it, AT ALL. Do the things you can do. Pass some bills. Sign them into law. Get some momentum going. THEN take on the more controversial legislation.

Right now I don't think republicans could legislate their way out of a paper sack. They've had SEVEN YEARS to come up with a replacement proposal. They have gigantic governing margins. And they can't even put a bill to a vote.

While I think I agree philosophically with a lot of what the Freedom Caucus stands for, this was a major bone-headed move on their part to kill the bill. The left doesn't have an equivalent group - while there are hardcore lefties in Congress, they always end up falling in line in the end, and that is why democrats do get things done.

:barf Republican Party

Vic Doucette

Re: Republicans fail at healthcare reform

Post by Vic Doucette » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:56 pm

#loserpresident
Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Either Paul Ryan or Donald Trump fumbled badly - I'm guessing the former. This bill was mysteriously introduced out of the blue and Ryan was its champion. Ryan fast tracked it because he presupposed (in error) that the Republican caucus would rally behind it. He wanted a cute photo-op / sound bite opportunity on the 7th anniversary of the (Un)affordable Care Act. Trump tagged along simply because quick passage of this bill would make his life a lot easier - at least until mid-term elections.

I am somewhat glad the bill failed.

When Congress tries to fast track ANYTHING that personally affects the lives of millions & millions of citizens - be nervous!!! It usually means the legislation is haphazardly written and that the party in power is trying to ram something through before it can be properly dissected.

Unlike bmw, I send my sincere appreciation to the Freedom Caucus!!! No believable argument was ever made that this bill would appreciably reduce health care costs while maintaining or improving health outcomes for the majority of the American population.

No analysis was ever performed as to health care delivery systems utilized in other large developed nations. Which nations' systems qualify as "Best Practices" ? No such analysis was ever provided to the public.

Who were the winners under this legislation? Aside from the well-off, some medical companies, and folks who don't like the individual mandate and want little to no insurance coverage, the answer is unclear at best.

Health care is FAR TOO IMPORTANT to expedite legislation in rushed fashion. Let's have a well-researched, comprehensive bill that goes through exhaustive debate in committee before introducing it to the floor for debate.

The American public seems to agree. Only 17% according to Quinnipiac (sp?) were in support of the bill. That means at least one-half of self-identified conservatives were likely opposed or undecided!!

Sorry, but I just don't see the majority (or even a significant minority) of the American public clamoring for an Obamacare replacement. I'm guessing less than 1 in 4 voters are decisively in favor of an Obamacare repeal. A similar number is probably strongly in favor of keeping Obamacare. Everything else is in shades of grey.

The prospects of an Obamacare repeal certainly drove hardcore Republicans to the polls on election day, but for the murky middle, I honestly believe passion for the topic is on the low side.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:37 pm

I agree, in part.

The should have just repealed Obamacare effective Jan 1, 2018.

Then some democrats would have come to vote for a replacement act in coming months.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:49 pm

I really dig Justin Amash - and I would make such a statement about maybe 1 in 100 elected officials.

https://twitter.com/justinamash

I am inclined to agree with you, Audio. That looming deadline would motivate people on both sides of the aisle to get something done.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:54 pm

AMEN!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/libertycaucus

I like what these guys have to say.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:56 pm

Jim DeMint's thoughts:

"As a broad spectrum of conservative policy experts have been explaining for weeks, the House health care bill was a perfect marriage of bad policy, bad process and bad politics. Since the day it was introduced, this was presented as a false choice of this bill or nothing, and that strategy was proven very wrong. Congressional leaders should use this opportunity to start over with a bill that truly repeals Obamacare and move forward in a transparent process. It should include the repeal of costly Obamacare regulations that have driven premiums up by 68% for many Americans, with up to 90% hikes for young Americans, which we know may be able to pass in reconciliation. The need to truly repeal Obamacare is as urgent as ever, as it is crushing Americans every day with high health costs and fewer choices. 70% of U.S. counties now only have 1 or 2 insurers. Conservatives are thankful to Congressional leaders who consistently fought for real repeal and commonsense solutions, and we will continue to fight for lower costs and more choices for all Americans."

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:18 pm

I think it's all good. As they said - no need to rush right now.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:27 pm

As I see it there no need to ever to vote for a Democrat again. There is two parties within the big "R" and that is enough for everybody. :razz

Seriously there is more principled, or constitutionalist members of the Republican party. Amash is probably one of them.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:10 pm

"In the 25 years that I served in the United States Congress, Republicans never, ever, one time agreed on what a health care proposal should look like. Not once, and all this happy talk that went on in November and December and January about repeal, repeal, repeal—yeah, we'll do replace, replace—I started laughing, because if you pass repeal without replace, first, anything that happens is your fault. You broke it.”

- John Boehner

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:30 pm
When Congress tries to fast track ANYTHING that personally affects the lives of millions & millions of citizens - be nervous!!! It usually means the legislation is haphazardly written and that the party in power is trying to ram something through before it can be properly dissected.
Health care is FAR TOO IMPORTANT to expedite legislation in rushed fashion. Let's have a well-researched, comprehensive bill that goes through exhaustive debate in committee before introducing it to the floor for debate.
Agreed 100%. But where will a majority come from at this point? There are about as many left-leaning RINO republicans in the House as there are Freedom Caucus republicans and I see no compromise bill that can get votes from both groups. Combine that with Democrats' sheer hatred for Trump, and nothing healthcare-related introduced during a Trump admin will EVER get a single democrat vote.

ObamaCare is here to stay for the foreseeable future because the votes just aren't there and will never be there to do anything about it. It may well collapse under its own weight at some point in the future, which, politically speaking at least democrats will own it.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:43 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 pm
Combine that with Democrats' sheer hatred for Trump, and nothing healthcare-related introduced during a Trump admin will EVER get a single democrat vote.
Fixed it for you:
Combine that with Republicans sheer hatred for Obama, and nothing healthcare-related introduced during a Obama admin will EVER get a single Republican vote.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:57 pm

They repealed it more than fifty times, during the Obama administration, when they knew the President would never sign off on it. Now, when they have the Congress, the Senate and the White House, they can't bring themselves to do it.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Once a wise sage pointed out that, "it is always easier to be a shouting-backbencher than to lead". His reference was about Newt Gingrich and his crash as the Speaker of the House.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:57 pm
They repealed it more than fifty times, during the Obama administration, when they knew the President would never sign off on it. Now, when they have the Congress, the Senate and the White House, they can't bring themselves to do it.
Great point! Quite amazing, isn't it?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 pm

A single payer system will solve this entire issue with lower cost, simplified access, and increases quality of life. We rank in the teens, while the qualiity of life list is led with countries with single payer systems.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:19 am

The Emperor is buck naked.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:31 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:30 pm
Agreed 100%. But where will a majority come from at this point? There are about as many left-leaning RINO republicans in the House as there are Freedom Caucus republicans and I see no compromise bill that can get votes from both groups. Combine that with Democrats' sheer hatred for Trump, and nothing healthcare-related introduced during a Trump admin will EVER get a single democrat vote.

ObamaCare is here to stay for the foreseeable future because the votes just aren't there and will never be there to do anything about it. It may well collapse under its own weight at some point in the future, which, politically speaking at least democrats will own it.
It collapsing on its own isn't a certainty however...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:23 am

A mentally ill president, a civil war among rebublican law makers, very low American public favorability rating for President Trump.

Democrats should be able to win majorities in both the house and senate this midterm election. And they will as long as they stick with ads that feature voter fears about losing health care - as expressed at the recent town halls with republican lawmakers. It's THE hot button issue.

The ads must feature President Obama video of him comparing
The Affordable Care Act to when Medicare or Social Security became laws. Remember? He told us that - just as with Medicare and Social Security - the ACA too would require over time some modifications to make it better. An adjustment here. An adjustment there. Instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Which has always been the partisan-fueled, careless
idea of republicans.

The ads must make clear that republican hatred of Obama was Trump's motivation for repeal and replace. Not the health of all Americans. And when repeal and replace became a non-starter President Trump revealed that he doesn't care if sick Americans suffer - it's more important to keep the political war going with Obama by as he says "letting the ACA explode" instead of making the adjustments to it - as Obama himself likened to the early years of both Social Security and Medicare.

It's about the health of Americans. It's about making those adjustments to Obamacare as needed and as Obama predicted.
It will take another President to put the health of Americans above any win or lose political mentality.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:27 am

How about we reduce costs and increase competition amongst health care providers with a single payer system?
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic