Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Worst Colleges For Free Speech

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Shuts Up

Worst Colleges For Free Speech

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:12 pm

I'm surprised that The Huffington Puffington Post has this at all, but here are the WORST Colleges for Free Speech in the US. Not sure where they are coming from, since it's Huffington Puffington.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-luki ... 69564.html

What are the WORST Colleges for Free Speech in Michigan? I suspect that the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is the worst. Central Michigan University and Michigan State University are probably two and three. Hillsdale College is probably the BEST for Free Speech.

The WORST nearby college out of state for free speech is probably Oberlin College. What they allow and don't allow is atrocious. Protecting fake hate criminals is their worst offense, and Lena Dunham's attack on a Campus Republican by name that she may not have even met is another atrocious act. They have caught fake hate criminals red handed and not prosecuted them. For details, Google Lena Dunham's "Barry" and fakehatecrimes.org

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Spellcheck5000

Re: Worst Colleges For Free Speech

Post by Spellcheck5000 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:48 am

I'm willing to bet you've never been a student at any of the colleges you claim are "worst" for free speech. Probably never set foot in one of their classrooms or spent any appreciable time on their campuses.

Those that have never actually been to college seem to be the most vocal about such things. People that have actually been students usually have a much more nuanced view of it, since they've seen it firsthand.

I spent years as a student on the UofM campus. Both conservative and liberal points of view were equally as vocal, and equally as extreme. That's the great thing about college, it affords you the opportunity to explore the far reaches of ideology. That's called "learning".

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am

So what you're implying a conservative person can not be educated and have different viewpoint than you?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:05 pm

audiophile wrote:So what you're implying a conservative person can not be educated and have different viewpoint than you?
No he's implying that you should actually experience college before you critique it... it'd be like you telling me how to drive a school bus or telling firefighters how to fight a fire...

If you haven't been there then you aren't in the best position to comment on it... crazy news stories about how bad college is are no substitute for going there and seeing what it's really all about... not saying conservatives can't be educated and neither did he... all we are saying is to replace ignorance with experience... the same could apply to many other things... race and immigrants are a particularly good example...

I spent 7 years in college and had lots of professors, all but one person I saw across two universities teaching were very good reasonable people... crazies are in every field including education but they are the exception not the rule...
Last edited by Deleted User 8570 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:06 pm

And you know this person hasn't been there how again?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:13 pm

audiophile wrote:And you know this person hasn't been there how again?
Have you?

You certainly give off every indication in what you write that you are completely against the concept...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm against what concept? I'm confused on what you're saying...

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:23 pm

No he's implying that you should actually experience college before you critique it... it'd be like you telling me how to drive a school bus

I spent 7 years in college and had lots of professors
You spent 7 years in college and you drive a school bus?

Well, I've known of PhDs who pumped gas and worked in a fast food restaurants.

Seven years sounds like an attorney. I guess there are too many lawyers. So many that many can't afford to have secretaries or offices anymore, and share a rented conference room with many other lawyers when they need to have a meeting. It's not like you see on TV, where every lawyer went to Harvard or Yale, and is on a fast track to be a partner. Many so called "partners" are self employed. And the self employed lawyers tend to be more Conservative. It's a matter of survival.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:36 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
No he's implying that you should actually experience college before you critique it... it'd be like you telling me how to drive a school bus

I spent 7 years in college and had lots of professors
You spent 7 years in college and you drive a school bus?

Well, I've known of PhDs who pumped gas and worked in a fast food restaurants.

Seven years sounds like an attorney. I guess there are too many lawyers. So many that many can't afford to have secretaries or offices anymore, and share a rented conference room with many other lawyers when they need to have a meeting. It's not like you see on TV, where every lawyer went to Harvard or Yale, and is on a fast track to be a partner. Many so called "partners" are self employed. And the self employed lawyers tend to be more Conservative. It's a matter of survival.
When you transfer after 4 and lose lots of credits going from private to public...

I drive a bus because I like driving and being around people... while college is an important thing that I'm proud I got through it's not a holy grail of wealth and success either... I'm not cut out for a 9-5 job or an office job... the thought of being behind a desk all day answering phones makes want to scream...

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:39 pm

audiophile wrote:I'm against what concept? I'm confused on what you're saying...
The concept of a 4 year (or longer) degree giving someone a much higher chance at success, we've discussed the technical school stuff before here so I know you like those programs... but you have regularly thrown up the "but x didn't go to college and look at him!" Stuff...

Spellcheck5000

Post by Spellcheck5000 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:25 pm

audiophile wrote:So what you're implying a conservative person can not be educated and have different viewpoint than you?
I'm implying that I see a strong correlation between those most vocal about control of speech & "indoctrination" at colleges & those that have never set foot on a campus, let alone as a student

The opinion that colleges indoctrinate students & control free speech doesn't seem to be just a conservative one. It seems you also need to have near-zero university experience as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic